Forums

Computer and AV UPS having problems with Teslas

Computer and AV UPS having problems with Teslas

I have two Powerwall 2 and 24 solar panels. Whenever the grid goes down all the backup UPS around the house go into action and do not stop providing battery power. Even when I turn them off and on again, they continue to beep and to provide backup power. They only reset when the grid is back.

josemaugerm | 21 juin 2018

have two Powerwall 2 and 24 solar panels. Whenever the grid goes down all the backup UPS around the house go into action and do not stop providing battery power. Even when I turn them off and on again, they continue to beep and to provide backup power. They only reset when the grid is back.

Patrick | 22 juin 2018

Interesting. Is the entire home running on PW2 battery power when this happens?

josemaugerm | 22 juin 2018

Yes. During the day I am running the whole house on solar. If the grid goes down there should not be any "switchover", but it happens, and the Teslas take over even when there is enough Sun to run the solar panels. At night, if the grid goes down the Teslas take over. On both instances the UPS I have on my computers and AV equipment start to beep continuously and even if turn them off and back on again, they continue to beep and supply power. When the grid comes back, all UPS stop beeping and return to their standby operation.

Patrick | 23 juin 2018

If someone you know has access to an oscilloscope you might try comparing the 120/220VAC sine waves of the house power when the grid is hot vs. out. Maybe the grid power is "cleaner" than your inverter power (meaning a properly-formed sine wave with little electrical noise) which is not unusual.... That said, I don't recall reading any previous concerns about power quality from private PV/PW2 generators.... Might be worth researching that topic further....

Babaron | 2 juillet 2018

Perhaps a silly question, but does the PW2 supply power to these outlets that are powering the UPS's or were they left out of the backup power circuit?

josemaugerm | 8 juillet 2018

Yes. The two PW2 are supplying energy to the whole house.

josemaugerm | 8 juillet 2018

Just read another post in here about the solar panels turning off when there is a power outage on the grid. It seems, according to the poster, that when the grid goes down, the PW2 sends a different frequency to force the inverter to shut off the solar panels as the PW2 cannot absorb more energy (supposes 100% fully charged PW2).

Now, that sounds similar of what is happening at hoe during the day. Whenever there is a power outage from the grid, you notice a "click" on the electrical equipment, probably the switchover to the PW2s. The solar panels go off, and the UPS start to beep. However, I would expect that at some moment that special "frequency" from the PW2s should stop and resume sending the appropriate 60hz signal. The problem is that at night, something similar happens and there are no solar panels operating; just the grid and then the PW2s.

cwied | 9 juillet 2018

As an experiment, you could try getting your Powerwalls to a lower state of charge (say 75%) and then flipping your main breaker to see if you still have the issue. The Powerwalls may shift the frequency based on state of charge only, not accounting for the time of day.