Forums

Hotspot

Hotspot

Can the Model 3 become a hotspot just like other cars can do that have onstar? If not, does anyone know if this will be a future capability?

EVRider | 19 juillet 2018

No, and maybe (or maybe not).

Chris35 | 19 juillet 2018

Damn. For such a high tech car, the lack of satellite radio and a hotspot seems short sighted to me.

Tesla doesn’t want you using their bandwidth to watch movies on your iPad (for example). Maybe once they start charging for Premium Connectivity they’ll add hotspot support (but maybe not). The lack of XM is more about where to put the antenna than technology; Model S doesn’t support XM either unless you have the sunroof.

I would gladly pay $20 for the hotspot, just like I do with onstar.

andy.connor.e | 19 juillet 2018

Why do you need your car to be a hotspot if your phone can be a hotspot

jjgunn | 19 juillet 2018

No using free LTE paid for by Tesla. Hopefully they open it up once people are paying for their own LTE.

I love XM on my Model X

You get 1 year of free high speed LTE with Model 3.

Still dont understand why you'd need your car to be your hotspot when your phone, which is now your car key, can provide that for you.

CST | 19 juillet 2018

Yeah, but I pay for that data by the gig. Tesla's is free for me.

@CST

For 1 year

CST | 19 juillet 2018

I bought early enough - not the case for me :)

Dam nice haha

rxlawdude | 19 juillet 2018

I'm pretty sure the LTE service paid for by Tesla is throttled to a few Mb/s.

gm_xeon | 19 juillet 2018

I'd be surprised if Tesla's WiFi radio could not operate in ad-hoc mode, but I bet they have a deal with the ISP to not use it for anything but Tesla internet traffic.

It's my understanding that the 1 year of LTE isn't for external devices, it's used for data the car needs, like downloading updates, traffic information, streaming audio, etc. Is that correct?

As for using my phone as a hotspot, I can't and the reception would never be as good as onstar.

@Chris35: You keep mentioning OnStar, so I want to make sure you know Teslas don't have that. Teslas use LTE (or 3G on some older cars) for internet connectivity while you're driving, so if reception is bad for your phone it might be bad for the car too (I believe Tesla uses AT&T). The only real advantage of making the car a WiFi hotspot is to avoid data charges on your phone.

Yes, I’m aware and was just using it as an example.

TeslaTap.com | 20 juillet 2018

Wow - $20/month ($240/yr) for a Onstar hotspot seems expensive. I can get an unlimited data hotspot on my phone for $10/month (or free if I pay for a more expensive plan). I suppose Tesla could offer an super-premium plan at an extra $240/year for a hotspot, but seems like a lot of effort for a feature anyone can get on their phone already.

andy.connor.e | 20 juillet 2018

Why do you need hotspot in your car?

Just curious never really thought about it.

TeslaTap.com | 20 juillet 2018

So everyone in the car can be watching a different movie while driving. Hopefully the driver is not one of them.

Thats funny but its a serious question. But if thats a serious answer, then 'alrighty then'.

nicktrash | 20 juillet 2018

If we're going to be streaming, frankly I don't really know why XM wouldn't just work with Tesla and have it be an app that a user would have to sign in to and then have their login present their selections and allow streaming. Could be Tesla did a deal with Tunein and another that prohibits that, but since one can always use an XM app and use bluetooth streaming-lets just take it one step farther.

Me thinks if your phone can do it, theres no reason to put the hardware in every single car. Everyone has a phone. Data on the otherhand is the only bottleneck.

SteveWin1 | 20 juillet 2018

Kind of agree w/ everyone. I've got unlimited data on my phone, which can act as a hotspot. If anything, I'd rather have the ability to use my phone as a hotspot for the Tesla, rather than the other way around. I'm already paying for unlimited data on my phone. Wouldn't make sense to add another data plan...

Chris35 | 20 juillet 2018

The car has much better reception than my phone.

kellyjohnson786 | 18 mai 2019

Coinbase is a digital Curreny erypto exchange founded out in san francisco, californio. it was amalagamated in 2012. coinbase exchange has two basic subdivisions : a global digital azet exchange (GDAX) for trading a diversity of digital assets on coin base professional asset.if you are biggner in online tread market than you can learn something more nad also professionals get issues in your coinbase account than call Directly Coinbase support Number and get solution.
https://www.1800-supportnumber.com/binance-support-number/