Forums

Dryer outlet splitter

Dryer outlet splitter

Hi I have a dryer 240 30 amp outlet in my garage currently using it for my dryer I noticed that Home Depot sells a splitter I’m getting my model 3 AWD on Thursday 8-23 I didn’t think I was gonna receive it so soon I was thinking of trying this splitter and alternate the use between them two. Has anyone tried this splitter please let me know thank you.

chapindiaz | 19 août 2018

Has anyone try this application?

georgehawley.fl.us | 19 août 2018

Why bother with a splitter? Get a suitable extension cord, unplug the dryer and plug in the Tesla when you need a charge. try 25 amps, a little less than 6 kWh per hour, charge to 80% in 9 hours or less depending on how much charge you start with.

rebellion787 | 19 août 2018

Shouldn't be a problem as long as they're not used at the same time. I'm assuming you want the splitter for the convenience of not having to plug and unplug all the time, right?

rajalucy | 19 août 2018

Most dryers in house are plug in the back and it is not easy to plug unplug every day or every other day and $30 splitter from Homedepot will resolve the problem.

kinupeiphone | 19 août 2018

It will work fine. As others stated just don't use at the same time. I have a dryer buddy as a splitter and I set 23 mph on 24 amps.

Carl Thompson | 19 août 2018

Seems kind of iffy to me. Seems like a good way to blow a fuse (or worse) if someone forgets that they can't do laundry because the car is charging. I would definitely recommend a dedicated circuit for the car.

Coastal Cruiser. | 19 août 2018

Best solution: A dedicated circuit
Next best solution (in your situation): a proper splitter
Worst solution: alternately plugging in the two devices (unless you upgrade your outlet)

Not familiar with the Home Depot solution (got a link?). The Model 3 Charging Guide discusses dryer splitters using a "Dryer Buddy" as an example: https://teslatap.com/articles/tesla-model-3-home-charging-guide/

chuck | 19 août 2018

A dedicated circuit would be best, yes.

But the splitter is safe and will work. Obviously, a splitter doesn't magically make more power. Both your dryer and your car are going to fully-load the circuit when in use, so you will have to discipline yourself not to run the dryer while charging the car. Keep in mind that the car can be programmed as to when it starts charging. So, if, as you head to bed at say 11:00PM, you put in a load of non-critical laundry to dry for an hour, just set the car to begin charging at 12:15AM and you'll be fine.

georgehawley.fl.us | 19 août 2018

Splitter is not a good idea. Too much coordination required.

Imagine waking up and finding the car not charged and the dryer full of wet clothes because Mom and Dad failed to communicate. Not good.

chapindiaz | 19 août 2018

Thank you all lots of information I hope it help others I will try the splitter is $39.99 at Home Depot and like Chuck stated I will program the car to charge after midnight I will keep you posted thank you all again.

Atoms | 19 août 2018

A splitter can be used if you are absolutely sure both won’t be on. Personally I would not do this in case there was a fire. I’m not sure the insurance company would cover a house fire caused by the use of this. The dryer buddy plus auto will automatically switch the EV charger. This is well worth the minor cost of this unit. They however are not UL listed. This may void your insurance. Do talk with your insurance agent to see what will not void your insurance. Otherwise you may need an electrician to install an additional outlet. This could be as little as $250 to install. But do make sure the electrician is licensed and get an electrical permit.

NorCalMSM | 19 août 2018

I am in a similar situation. Just took delivery today and I’m planning to share the 10-30 Dryer outlet. I was also researching the Dryer Buddy and it seems like a nice solution but it’s not UL approved and comes with some risk. This makes me lean more towards getting an electrician to install a 14-50 outlet. But I’ve had a difficult time finding electricians that will give me a reasonable quote.

Carl Thompson | 20 août 2018

@NorCalMSM:
"This makes me lean more towards getting an electrician to install a 14-50 outlet. But I’ve had a difficult time finding electricians that will give me a reasonable quote."

What are you telling the electrician? Installing a 14-50 should be super-cheap. I just had two installed (also in NorCal) and it was less than I'd spend on a mid-range cell phone.

djharrington | 20 août 2018

I wouldn’t do this (splitter) without first checking that the breaker for that circuit is working at the proper current level. If someone forgets the car is charging and runs the dryer, and your breaker fails to trip, your wiring will become the fuse ... you don’t want that!

nicktrash | 20 août 2018

I picked up the dryerbuddy, works great. You can get them on ebay from the bsaelectronics guy and ebay will frequently have 15% off coupons that work to reduce price. Mine was 160$ shipped.

SteveWin1 | 20 août 2018

@nicktrash, darn. I ordered a dryer buddy from his website. Been waiting over 3 weeks now. His website says he builds them to order and it takes 24 business days (so about a month) before he ships them. Now I wish I had checked eBay and bought a pre-made one. Not that I have a car to charge with it yet...but still. Anyway, glad to hear it works well.

reza | 12 avril 2019

To save some fellow Tesla owners from some headache and money and time loss, I wanted to warn everyone to think twice before ordering a Dryerbuddy.

As you may already know, BSA electronics is a one-man shop. Nothing wrong with that, except that you have to pay upfront and then you have to wait months (he provides a calendar, but then misses that day by weeks and ignores your emails).

There is no customer service, no returns, no warranty, nothing. If something goes wrong he will "negotiate" with you to fix it. maybe you get lucky, maybe you don't. you have already paid full and you have no recourse.

After waiting for months for my order to arrive, I gave up and ordered a neocharger arrives in 10 calendar days, looks much better than the ugly gray box, and has proper service, warranty, and returns. If he ever sends me my dryerbuddy, I am going to put it straight on eBay.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for the little guy standing on his own feet, but in this case, the quality of the service is very low, you can donate money to him if you want, but if you want good product and service, stay away from this company.

here is the link to neocharger:
https://www.getneocharge.com/product-page/neocharge

bsaelectronics | 25 juin 2019

@Reza A. I reviewed our email exchange and can't figure out why you are bashing a small company behind it's back, I worked with you and sent many responses to your emails, you seemed satisfied and pleasant to work with and now are claiming "There is no customer service, no returns, no warranty" all of which are untrue, why do you feel the need to damage my company? For transparency and for the group to evaluate here is a copy and past of our email exchange:

bsaelectronics | 25 juin 2019

BSA Electronics
Mon 4/22/2019 11:40 PM
• Reza A

Dear Reza,

Thanks for the kind words, sorry to here of your family catching the Flu as well.

Your package was dropped off at USPS late tonight, it should be processed tomorrow with tracking updating later tomorrow. It cost me more but I sent it via USPS as a few of my Canadian customer have said the fees are lower and they don't charger a broker fee like UPS.

My sincerest apologizes for the delay. Thank you for your patience.

Cheers
Brad Apelgren
Owner - BSA Electronics
Business days: Mon – Fri, closed weekends and holidays
Facebook page: http://tinyurl.com/bsa101
My online store: https://www.bsaelectronics.com
My org. PDF catalog: http://tinyurl.com/bsaelectronics

Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2019 7:08 AM
To: BSA Electronics
Subject: Re: Order #2292 confirmed

Hi Brad,
I did not receive your email below, but as long as our communication is open it is all fine.

We got hit with the flu as well. I hope the little ones are feeling better and your business trip went well. please let me know when you make the shipment because I need to arrange for customs clearance and payment on it.

Cheers,
Reza

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 1:56 PM BSA Electronics wrote:
Dear Reza,

Please confirm you received the email below, I need to know if my emails are getting to you.

Cheers
Brad Apelgren
Owner - BSA Electronics

Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 1:53 PM
To: Reza A

Dear Reza,

Thanks for touching base, you must have missed my email on the 6th, please have a look in you spam folder, her is a copy and past of it:
BSA Electronics
Sat 4/6/2019 10:45 PM
• reza@******.net
Greetings from BSA,

Your unit is coming along nicely. I had planned on completing and sending your order before my upcoming business trip. Unfortunately I have had a hard 2 weeks, everyone in the house is very sick including my three young children. This has slowed the process down. Rest assured your build is going well, it's just taking a little longer than expected. I am leaving on a Business trip today for a week and will be back Monday April 15th. I plan to ship your order by the end of that week. My sincerest apologizes for the delay. Thank you for your patience.
I know you had been waiting for a while so I upgraded your case to my new enclosure, a premium polycarbonate case with more mounting options and more room for future customization, it also features a premium aluminum cable gland.
Let me know how you like your unit once you receive it and get a chance to use it. Thank you so much for your business and support. My family and I really appreciate it!
Cheers
Brad Apelgren
Owner - BSA Electronics

Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 4:26 AM
To: BSA Electronics

Hi Brad,

My order is now 10 days late, and you are not answering my emails. I am starting to get worried. is everything ok?

Regards,
Reza

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 10:15 AM Reza A wrote:
Good morning Brad,

Would you mind giving me an update to the status of my order below, please? Based on the calendar calculator provided, it should have been ready yesterday. I am not in a rush but wanted to make sure everything is in order.

Regards,
Reza

BSA Electronics
Sat 4/6/2019 10:45 PM
• reza@****.net;

Greetings from BSA,

Your unit is coming along nicely. I had planned on completing and sending your order before my upcoming business trip. Unfortunately I have had a hard 2 weeks, everyone in the house is very sick including my three young children. This has slowed the process down. Rest assured your build is going well, it's just taking a little longer than expected. I am leaving on a Business trip today for a week and will be back Monday April 15th. I plan to ship your order by the end of that week. My sincerest apologizes for the delay. Thank you for your patience.
I know you had been waiting for a while so I upgraded your case to my new enclosure, a premium polycarbonate case with more mounting options and more room for future customization, it also features a premium aluminum cable gland.
Let me know how you like your unit once you receive it and get a chance to use it. Thank you so much for your business and support. My family and I really appreciate it!
Cheers
Brad Apelgren
Owner - BSA Electronics

alisse | 25 juin 2019

@bsaelectronics Appreciate you standing up for your business, but true or not, he has an opinion and I don't think it's appropriate to air customer emails on a public forum as a defense. I'm sure he didn't agree to that.

SteveWin1 | 25 juin 2019

I think once you attack a company, they have the right to defend themselves. There's no confidentiality agreement in email. Emails are transmitted in plain text all over the internet and should not be assumed to be confidential. I ordered a DryerBuddy from BSA and it was also slightly delayed, but Brad stayed in touch and it's been working great for about 7 months now. Would definitely buy again.

alisse | 25 juin 2019

@SteveWin1 I'm not saying it's illegal, just bad form. I have no skin in the game as far as who is right nor an opinion of the product and/or service. Hopefully they can work it out and BSA can continue to keep customers happy.

cliffordsf | 25 juin 2019

I too ordered a DryerBuddy form Brad at BSA Electronics...around the same time. Mine was also delayed for the same reason, but all through the process, Brad was responsive and professional. He even updated my DryerBuddy to his new housing prior to shipping it out to me, and when I had problems with it (my fault), he agreed to a complete refund if I felt uncomfortable with it. Once I figured out what I was doing wrong, I apologized to him. The unit is perfect, removes the need to swap cables, and automatically switches in case someone turns on the dryer while the car is charging (hasn't happened yet because we don't run the dryer after 11 p.m. when the car is charging, but it's nice to know it's there). I don't know whose word is the most valid in this case, I just want to share my experience which mirrors the email chain listed here (some of it is boilerpolate). Delays suck, but these things happen, even with large companies, like, uh, Tesla (: Oh, and when the DryerBuddy arrived it included a little bag of jelly bellies, which is a tiny thing, but it did make me smile. All in all, while the wait was painful because I'm impatient, the company was upfront with me, professional, and produced a top-notch product. As far as his use of the email chain, I can understand his intent because this is being read by potential customers and will definitely color their decision-making process. I'm sure a large percentage of his orders are from Tesla users so this is no small thing for a small business. I'm pretty sure, if I felt I was being treated unfairly in a public forum and my livelihood was being impacted, I'd probably do the same thing. That said, I'm not denying Reza may have had a bad experience, just that, based on my experience, I don't believe it's the norm.

spf4000 | 25 juin 2019

I was planning in installing a 14-50 but the A quality heavy gauge splitter works just fine. I set mine to start charging after 1:00am so there’s no concern about both the dryer and the charge going at the same time. 19mi/hr is plenty for my needs. Don’t unplug and replug repeatedly—those plugs are not designed for that.

Zakynthos | 3 août 2019

Hello - I am here to report in about @bsaelectronics and spill some truth about you for everyone. I will attest that you do not provide proper customer service (and this is coming from someone who has worked in and dealt with customer service for many years). I inquired about your Dryer Buddy's which I was very interested in and willing to put down several hundred dollars for but had some confusion about your listings. You opened my first email and then never replied, then opened my second email and never replied to that as well. I use an email tracking service called Mail Tracker. It tells me exactly when my email was opened so I know for a fact that not only did you not respond to my email, but that you don't have any excuse as to why since you actually opened it. This is the worst kind of service and you would be fired if you were in any kind of customer service position with a normal company. You do not open emails from customers or potential customers and then don't give any kind of response. You give some kind of reply and say you are working on finding an answer. It is not difficult but here are the emails and also my mail tracker alerting me you've opened it but never actually responded. Here's the email thread you haven't responded to and the corresponding mail tracker alerts showing you opened the emails - https://imgur.com/a/zaDMaGb

rob.kibler | 3 août 2019

I don't understand people who will spend between $45 and $55K for a car and then skimp on an electrical circuit because they don't want to spend $500??????

Teslanene | 3 août 2019

@rob some people are renting a home, why spend money when it's not yours.

raqball | 3 août 2019

Teslanene | August 3, 2019
@rob some people are renting a home, why spend money when it's not yours.
---------------------
And some owners won't let you make any installations as well... I live in a condo and I could use a dryer cord if I got one long enough (40ft maybe) as my parking is not far from my dryer outlet.. But I decided against it...

kevin_rf | 3 août 2019

I would be careful with mail trackers, many things can trigger them, not just someone opening and actually reading an email.

I bet you also shift through every minute of video captured by sentry mode.

DanO. | 4 août 2019

I have a couple of concerns with many of the "solutions" offered here and elsewhere.

First is that the NEMA 10-30 outlet does not have a ground. When used as a dedicated outlet for EV charging it is not a problem since the unused neutral is equivalent to a ground connection. But when adding a splitter or one of the power sharing devices, the neutral in the dryer is connected to car body. Add a weak connection in that neutral wire and you could find a high voltage on the car body which would then find its way through your body.

Second, EV charging is a continuous high current draw on the circuit. Any resistance in the connections will lead to heating and in extreme cases could start a fire. Tesla recognizes this problem and monitors the temperature at each connection. The circuit breaker in your house will trip if the connection there gets to hot. But when you add extension cords or splitters or other devices in line, you create connection points that cannot be monitored.

styvwerx | 4 août 2019

I bought a double pole, double throw switch, and had it installed next to my Tesla Charger, controlling my 30A 240V dryer circuit. It is sizable, about 8"x5"x14" tall, and was not cheap, but the top position (Dryer) and the bottom position (Tesla) clearly labeled, works just fine, and there is zero chance of both using the power at the same time.

georgc | 13 août 2019

@styvwerx do you by any chance have a wire diagram?

Pg3ibew | 14 août 2019

Please do not take this as an insult. BUT..If you are so lazy as to get a splitter and not plug and unplug each time you want to charge or use the dryer, you will probably be too lazy to notice if the car is charging as you turn on the dryer with the splitter installed. Hence, you will give yourself MORE work every time you need to reset the breaker. IF your house doesn't burn down.

styvwerx | 15 août 2019

georgc, I don't have a wiring diagram, but basically the double pole, double throw switch takes the two legs of the 240volt circuit, and feeds the power either nowhere (center position for the switch) to the dryer, (as before) or away from the dryer and to the Tesla charger. I think I found the switch online, and paid less than $100 for it, and $400 to have a licensed electrician (I highly recommend you use one, no matter what your skill set) provide the conduit and conductors, and do the wiring. On the Tesla side of the switch, I have the Tesla wall charger, which Tesla got $500 for. The switch box cannot be opened unless it is in the middle (OFF, no electrical contacts made) position, as a safety feature, to ensure no one can zap themselves unless VERY determined to do so.