Forums

Your charging setup

Your charging setup

Yesterday I installed Tesla’s Wall Connector in my garage. The process was so easy and straight forward( thanks tesla). The entire process only took a couple hours.

I’m wondering what others are doing/have done. Did you install yours yourself? If you hired an electrician, was the work reasonably priced?

Pic:

https://ibb.co/mKmjge

Yes, I’m bored as I await delivery. :)

60 amp circuit breaker btw...

billtphotoman | 21 septembre 2018

We had an electrician install a JuiceBox pro 32 amp charger since my wife has a Leaf. Most of the time I will just charge the Model 3 on L1 so I don't need to putz with the adapter and can leverage the ability of the Tesla charger to open the charger door. But, when needed I can suckle about 28 MPH worth of electrons out of the L2 charger.

socalbtc3 | 21 septembre 2018

Had an electrician install our Tesla connector for $320 here in Socal. Glad we got the 24' cord has it gives me flexibility to route it overhead. Since I am on the EV TOU SDG&E plan,power we need to make sure we can charge up in the midnight to 6am period to get our $.09/Kwh super off peak rate. It makes a difference in our bill and the HPWC is fast even when dialing the car charger down to 30amps.

sydroxx192 | 21 septembre 2018

Hiring an electrician to install the wall connector, as I am using TIME OF USES electricity and need another meter installed. Electric company gives a $500 rebate... Electrician charge is $900. After rebate...$400. In Minnesota we can also sign up for ReVolt.... renewable power at the price of normal generated power.

shawncordell | 21 septembre 2018

Sorry if this is a stupid question but can one set a time the car starts AND stops charging? Or do you only set the start time and it stops once it hits your desired charging percent ie 80%?

djharrington | 21 septembre 2018

I installed a 40A Leviton unit years ago because we had a Model S and Ford Focus EV. Then we had a S and 3 in the garage, and now back to the S and Focus while I await my P3. After I get that, I will make a decision to either sell the Ford, or swap it’s drivetrain into a) Porsche 356 replica kit or b) scratch-built tube-framed desert buggy. It’s probably not worth selling it, so I likely have a fun project on my hands next year.

disapr | 21 septembre 2018

I self installed the Tesla Wall Charger on a 60amp circuit in my garage.

https://i.imgur.com/1Bhzgde.jpg

ODWms | 21 septembre 2018

I installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage, including 50 amp breaker. I expect to get around 30 MPH charging out of it, which is more than enough to charge in full every night even from empty. All told, my cost was about $20, and took about 30 minutes. If and when I purchase the next Tesla, I’ll install another one right next to it, or run it to the other side of the garage.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0wfES3xKikACAt7WLi4pzU8Wg

sterickson | 21 septembre 2018

I had an NEMA 14-50 outlet, with 50amp breaker installed in my garage two days ago. I also bought an extra Mobile Connector, so that I can leave one plugged in all the time, and the other goes with me on the road.

RedScooter | 21 septembre 2018

I'm planning for my wall unit install. Think, I have a complex setup
- Panel is in my basement and I have to run easily 40' conduit to my garage
- My main panel is full and needs another subpanel
- I have to break drywall and patch it

I want to future proof this install ( for a second tesla\wall unit or quicker charging setup in later years)...
Am thinking to go with 125A subpanel, 100amp breaker and 3 AWG wires - am I overthinking\overshooting this?

SteveWin1 | 21 septembre 2018

I just did a Dryer Buddy to split the power between the dryer (already in the garage) and the car. If I need to do laundry, it automatically pauses the car's charging until drying is done and then supplies power to the Tesla again, so it won't flip the breaker. Much cheaper than buying a wall charger or having an electrician install something. Plus I can take it with me, or sell it when I move.

lilbean | 21 septembre 2018

@shawncordell Correct. Setting the stop charging time is a great idea though.

RichardKJ | 21 septembre 2018

A car in my garage? What a quaint idea. The last car in my garage was a 280SL which I sold in 2001.

I had an electrician mount a 14-50 outside the garage behind a bush. It was a complicated process because my main breaker box is on the opposite side of the house and I had him upgrade the existing subpanel in the garage from 50 to 100 amp before connecting to that. (This was four years ago for my Model S.)

Outside I used the UMC and a Camco 15 foot 50 amp extension cord for a couple years. I left the UMC plugged in except for road trips. I mounted a hose holder below the outlet to hold the cable. Because it's behind a bush it is not visible from the street. Later I bought the corded connector and had http://quickchargepower.com extend it by 15 feet. That's long enough to reach either the Model S or the new Model 3 and they both keep their mobile connectors in the frunk for road trip use.

bcimae.co.us | 21 septembre 2018

I installed a NEMA 14-50 in my garage myself

matt h | 21 septembre 2018
Kathy Applebaum | 21 septembre 2018

We had a Clipper Creek charger for our Leaf -- my husband put it in and put it on a 60A circuit to future proof the install.

When I got my Tesla, I had him install a HPWC for me on another 60A circuit. (Luckily we had the panel space). He needed to charge the Leaf every night, and my commute is longer than Level 1 will accomodate.

Now that he has a Tesla as well, he uses the Clipper Creek and constantly pats himself on the back for oversizing that. :)

Seems like most people opted for the NEMA 14-50... Much cheaper than the HPWC.

@lilbean thanks for the info!

slingshot18 | 21 septembre 2018

I have the Tesla wall connector in a box in my garage. Waiting for the electrician to install when they put in my second solar system.

M3NOICE | 21 septembre 2018

I have two NEMA 14-50 sockets (for Aloha and Mahalo).
One socket installed by contractors with additional solar. The other installed it myself. Both are with 6 AWG copper wires, HPWC ready at 60A CB, if I ever get one.

Also installed a revenue grade consumption monitoring for the two plugs. I will know exactly how much the cars are using.

RichardKJ | 21 septembre 2018

@Bullet You should not use a 60A breaker on a circuit with a 14-50 outlet..

тесла3 | 21 septembre 2018

Our electrician installed a NEMA 14-50 for less than the cost of the HPWC and it works great.

Revenue grade consumption monitoring? That sounds like the kind of nerd data I like to collect.

M3NOICE | 21 septembre 2018

@Richard
Sorry for misunderstanding. Current NEMA 14-50 are on 50A CB. The wiring is ready for HPWC+60A CB.

@shawn
It is a fancy way of saying "measuring is accurate". They are built in from my solar monitoring.

kaffine | 21 septembre 2018

I installed a wall connector myself. I had to upgrade the power to my shop first. Thankfully the underground conduit was large enough for larger wire. Pulling 2/0 cable was a bit of a challenge.

Pulling the 2/0 power cable took several attempts. I broke the pull string twice. I used some small rope the first time and it broke so I ordered some mule tape. The first attempt with the mule tape I pulled some of the conduit out of the ground. I had to change the direction I was pulling as the other end was under concrete also had to dig up the conduit by the house and rebury it. Then I got to the point I couldn't pull any more so I used a transmission jack and didn't notice how sharp the edge was and it cut the mule tape. had to pull the cable out yet again. Order even stronger mule tape and attempted again. It took quite a bit of time to get it pulled through as the transmission jack could only pull about 4 feet at a time before I had to reset. If I had to do it again I would rent a cable tugger instead. After dealing with the 2/0 cable between the house and the shop the 4awg cable from the shop panel to the wall connector was easy.

jerrykham | 21 septembre 2018

We had an electrician install our first HPWC for my Model S (which we have had almost exactly 1 year). When we got a Model 3 as well I put in the second HPWC networked to the first to load split myself. Just running some conduit up the wall, across the garage, and part way down the other wall, pulling some wire, and using some Polaris connectors inside the panel. I used to charge at the full 48 Amps (60 amp breaker) that a current gen Model S and Model 3 LR can draw, but now that the two HPWCs are networked on that breaker they split and do 24 amps to each car. Once one car finishes charging, the other then gets the full 48. It is working well for my wife and I.

RedScooter | 21 septembre 2018

@jerrykham - if you knew you'll have a second Tesla would you have done anything differently? i.e. set first install run at 100A capacity ( 100A CB, 3 AWG etc.,)

I like that @jerry. That’s what I’ll likely do as well.

Lonestar10_1999 | 21 septembre 2018

For the DIY folks who installed a NEMA 14-50 receptacle in the garage, did you need to penetrate the firewall to route the cable to the breaker panel in the living space of the house? My breaker panel is in my basement, about 35 feet from where I would install the receptacle, but it would require a firewall penetration.

Should my installation be handled by a professional electrician or can it be handled as a DIY project?

@Lonestar10_1999, I didn’t have to penetrate the firewall, because my panel happens to be in the garage.

As far as the possibility of DIY, it would definitely depend upon your level of skill and comfort level. If you have an electrical background and know what you’re doing, it could certainly be completed yourself. It goes without saying you’d also want to check your local codes, permitting, etc.

I agree with Ray. I don’t have an electrical background but I felt comfortable with this project. It was super easy IMHO even though i had to run 125 ft of wire through the attic.

Jiver | 21 septembre 2018

I installed a Clipper Creek LCS-20 for my Chevy Volt years ago. It is on a 20 amp breaker although I ran 6 gauge wire. Using it for my M3 I get 11 to 13 miles an hour (240v/15 amps). I originally thought I'd replace the LCS-20 with a wall charger if I ever bought a Tesla but now that I have my M3 (and the Volt is gone) it does not seem like I really need the extra speed. I have a Supercharger about 10 miles downhill from me so worst case I charge for thirty minutes to an hour and then head there.

If I ever decide speed is an issue I'd have a tough time deciding between replacing the the LCS-20 with a NEMA 14-50 receptacle for the mobile connector or with the wall charger. I think that the NEMA 14-50 would be more versatile but the wall charger would be more elegant. At least the 6-gauge wire gives me the option. I'd just need to add the correct breaker.

Absolutely. Either choice is good. I and a few others agree that the $500 cost for the Tesla connector isn’t necessarily worth it to get ~10 MPH more of charge. Depends on the individual.

Jacksonontheroad | 21 septembre 2018

Question...

I just had an electrician install the Tesla Wall Charger in my garage. However, I do not see any LED indicator lights functioning on the charger. No green or red. Nothing. The charger is charging the car fine but there aren't any LED indicator lights working. Was the Wall Charger installed incorrectly? Or do you think it is a faulty Wall Charger?

Lonestar10_1999 | 21 septembre 2018

My biggest worry about the installation is ensuring proper firestop application so that car exhaust (my other car will be an ICE) cannot seep into the house. Of course I wouldn’t want poor workmanship to cause a code inspection failure.

Any advice on the best firestop to use?

@Jackson Sounds like he didn’t attach the ribbon cable to the light indicator.

dmastro | 21 septembre 2018

I ordered the wall connector and will have my electrician install it along with a couple other things I need done.

My utility offers a $500 rebate which covers the cost of the connector, so it's a no-brainer for me.

RES IPSA | 21 septembre 2018

@Shawn... I have desired the car to be able to set stop time for charging, but you cannot do that. My rate triples at 6 am everyday, so I do not want any more charging past 6 am. I just low ball the level I set it to to make sure it stops before 6 am.

@EV Neophyte That’s a good idea... triples? Yikes! I only want to charge mine during the day since I have solar.

I get 9 cents a KW/hr from midnight to 6 am. Then it goes to 28 cents

Seems like an easy thing to add with an update.

@ Shawn... Tesla hasn't convinced you to buy their expensive 40 kw battery yet ( The Powerwall I think)

@EV Neophyte, I’ve ordered my Powerwalls but haven’t heard anything back from Tesla. I think Tesla is focusing on the Model instead since they use the same battery

Very cool. You will be basically of the grid. I am kinda jealous. I live in an HOA who has yet to allow solar

Yeah, you would have to get a solar roof in that instance. My wife and I were looking at an HOA earlier in the year. I was told I would either have to put the panels on the rear or get the solar roof. I’d prefer the solar roof but Tesla told me it’s not offered in my area yet.

dmaini | 21 septembre 2018

What your cannot set start and stop times in a Tesla?? I use this on my Nissan Leaf all the time. It works great and ensures it charges late at night when it is coolest and cheapest. I will definitely need some strategies here.

gballant4570 | 21 septembre 2018

I have a 240V 30A circuit in my barn, and received the 14-30 adapter yesterday. I am all ready to charge my M3 that is scheduled for delivery next Friday. I signed up for 100% wind generated power in June on a two year contract, so I'll be driving on the wind.......

afcop2 | 21 septembre 2018

Electrician installed mine for $350 in DFW area of Texas on a 60 amp circuit.

@Dmaini.. You can set a start time for the Model 3, but cannot set a time for it to stop. It will stop when it reaches the limit you set. That is what will stop the charge. So set the limit lower for it to stop earlier.

maki808 | 21 septembre 2018

I installed the unit myself. I've got quotes from $1800 - $4000. It's crazy, they see where you live and charge accordingly. My cousin-in-law got theirs installed for $800. I used a 60 amp breaker with 6 gauge wires with a safety switch in between.

maki808 | 21 septembre 2018

Oh..my total cost was about $60.

djgarrett21 | 21 septembre 2018

I self installed.

Setup: 3X 4 gauge & 1 6 gauge. Ran 1" metallic conduit (EMT) wall connector. Approx 60' run. From garage to main panel (basement) is in 1" liquid tight. Run in garage terminates on the far wall and feeds a Tesla HPWC.

Currently on a 60 amp breaker but will upgrade if needed (for model 3 anything above 60 amps is useless).

Cost all in ~$900 ($450 materials and $550 wall connector).

dgilmore | 21 septembre 2018

I have a OpenEVSE charger and am having a NEMA 14-50 plug installed on a 50 amp circuit. when I build a new garage I will probably look at putting in a 100amp circuit to provide for the future. though my main panel is 200 amp so that may need an upgrade also. The people I bought the house from put in electric everything, I replaced the cooktop and dryer with gas, but have yet to do the same for hot water.

Pages