Forums

Flat tire :(

Flat tire :(

Had my M3 for 3 days and while on the highway I get an alert to check my tire pressure. I noticed that my DS front tire was at a bout 38psi. At first I thought it was a faulty sensor. I didn't hit anything and I only had about 140 miles on the car. I decided to at least get off of the highway...37..36..35...

As it got lower, I think somewhere around 20psi I got a warning to pull over to avoid a dangerous situation or something to that effect.

Pulled into a Home Depot parking lot and sure enough the tire was hissing and went flat.

Called Tesla and they had a tow out in about an hour and a half. (I told them to take their time because I was on my way to a doctor appointment). Towed me about 20 miles to the tire shop where the guy can't replace it until Monday.

I was very happy for the tech giving me the warning about low air pressure but a donut and jack would have been good too.

Anyone else suffer from a flat? If so, how did you deal with it? I read in the manual that Tesla has a Tire repair kit but I haven't looked into it yet. I did get a compressor at HD but the hole seemed to be on the inside of the tire. I'll still keep it though.

Mountain M3 | 6 octobre 2018

sorry about that. That is one of my main fears with my car and I've just added a compressor and tire patch kit to my trunk as recommended by others on several threads here. If it was on the inside of the tire or was more than just a nail or screw a patch kit would not have helped though.

gcklo | 6 octobre 2018

I do have a portable air pump and tire repair kit in the car just in case.

gballant4570 | 6 octobre 2018

Usually a screw or nail stays in the hole, and all you need is a can of glue and a compressor. The plug comes into play when you pull the screw or nail out. If you're on a road trip you might want to go the plug route....

djharrington | 6 octobre 2018

I got “screwed” driving the car from Denver to Albuquerque immediately after delivery. I had a plug kit and compressor, but couldn’t find a nail/etc. It was a slow leak (about 2psi every 50mi) somInwas able to stop only twice to add air before I was home. Doing this, I kept it above 38psi the entire time (which makes me feel good about avoiding sidewall damage). Once home, I pulled the wheel off and immediately saw the screw, and had it plugged within a few minutes.

In the car I keep: Small scissor jack, wrench, needle nose plier (for pulling out screw/nail), flashlight, compressor, and plug kit (and gloves so I don’t have to drive with dirty hands afterwards).

kjones | 6 octobre 2018

I had Costco repair my flat

carlk | 6 octobre 2018

Roadside service can bring you a loaner tire if they have one and go to your house or work place later to replace it when your tire is fixed. Wife used the service once but most of air leak we had over the years were slow leaks. We could still drive the car to get repair done or pump it up if fix is not readily available. TPS helps a lot nowadays. Catastrophic situations, when you don't realize you're losing pressure until it blows out, do not happen anymore.

Keep a repair kit just in case when you're out of cell reception area but otherwise there is no need to use it. It's dangerous trying to repair the tire on the side of road. Not worth the risk. Just call the roadside service.

Mediumed | 6 octobre 2018

Had a nail in my tire shortly after I got the car. It was a slow leaker and I was going to have it repaired locally but decided to call the Tesla service center. They cleared a time slot for me and said as long as the car was safe to drive to bring it right in and repaired it for me on the spot and free of charge, said something about goodwill. I love this company.

Cyphr1s | 6 octobre 2018

If it is a nail or screw just get this:

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-T-Handle-Tire-Plug/dp/B000ET525K/ref=s...

You may want to get a small 12v air compressor as well if it does get to low before you fix it.

ebmcs03 | 6 octobre 2018

I really like the loaner idea. Hope they still offer that.

gmr6415 | 7 octobre 2018

I purchased the Tesla tire repair kit. In reading the instructions that came with it they claim it will repair a whole up to .24" or 6mm. The literature also states that the sealant won't damage or plug TPMS sensors.

billtphotoman | 7 octobre 2018

I am really hoping that by the time I need new tires for my model 3 Michelin or some other tire manufacturer will have adopted the self-sealing tech Michelin offers for in their OEM tires for the Bolt to tires which fit the model 3. While self-sealing tech won't work in all cases it covers the most common nail/screw punctures without any down-side that I am aware of. In the mean time, portable air compressor + plug kit seems like a mandatory accessory.

gmr6415 | 7 octobre 2018

@billtphotoman, Do you know if the OEM tires for the Bolt have noise reduction foam in them to reduce noise like those on the M3?

It may be that acoustical tires can't also also be self-sealing.

jpelura3 | 7 octobre 2018

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I'll get that kit. I keep a plug kit in my Chevy Pickup which I really don't need since that has a full sized spare. I will look into a scissor jack though.

sanjaths | 7 octobre 2018

I bought a donut wheel for my previous car after I was forced to keep the car in a Toyota dealership for the weekend after a getting stranded in a highway with a flat tire for hour plus in the night.

Then I could find a spare in Craig's list for cheap from a Corolla owner. Not sure if I can do the same for 19" wheel (does 19 or 18 matter for donut?)

Keeping one in your garage can save some downtime I think. I have to admit I have never used that spare since I purchased :) But I do carry it along for my long trips.

M3 doesn't come with Jack and tools, right? I guess that's another thing to buy/carry.

M3 doesn't come with Jack and tools, right? I guess that's another thing to buy/carry.

Bighorn | 7 octobre 2018

Don’t get slime. Compressor and plug.

stvloken | 7 octobre 2018

Bought an aftermarket spare, jack and lug wrench for the long trips. Don't want to be waiting for assistance.

edhchoe | 7 octobre 2018

so no rft's on tesla?

sanjaths | 8 octobre 2018

@stvloken, is it full size spare? Any donut that works?

billtphotoman | 8 octobre 2018

@sanjaths - I found this kit in another "model 3 flat tire" thread. I haven't bought it myself but might before I head off on any road trips into areas with poor cellular coverage: https://modernspare.com/search-page/?make=8&model=23&syear=204&cfm=Tesla...
The main downside other than the cost is it will take up trunk space. Others have mentioned it is too big for either the frunk or the compartment under the trunk floor.

Daryl | 8 octobre 2018

I keep looking at run-flat tires, but the problems still seem to outweigh the benefits. Maybe someday they will develop one appropriate for the Model 3

sanjaths | 8 octobre 2018

Thanks @ billtphotoman.

I guess they should make the frunk slightly bigger to hold optional spare wheel. Even if the chances of having a flat tire is very low, just that 'what if' thought bothers.

freelancewizard | 8 octobre 2018

Literally one week after I took delivery of my P3D+, it took a screw to the inside shoulder of the driver's side rear tire. By the "standard" rules tire shops use, that's non-repairable. Thankfully, it was just a "slow" leak, so I was able to keep driving thanks to the 12V portable air compressor I keep in all my cars. I would highly recommend the same to anyone in a car with no spare, even with RFTs.

How did I handle the flat, in the end? I called up my local Discount Tire and they were able to get a new Pilot Sport 4S the same day and the tire changed out in an hour, and I was able to buy their road hazard certificates for the other 3 tires, too. At $300 a pop on the P3D+, if I get another puncture, that certificate will have paid for itself several times over. I realize I could have called up Tesla, but I live 3 hours from the nearest service center, so unless they happen to have Mobile Tire Service here (unlikely), it wouldn't have helped me much.

kaffine | 8 octobre 2018

Daryl

Have you looked at Bridgestone Drivegaurd tires? I just installed them on another car in my fleet so far I am happy with them. Didn't seem to affect ride quality at all no extra road noise. I don't have enough miles on them to know how well they wear. Not sure how well they do for energy efficiency. I am considering them for my Tesla when it comes time for tires.

Timguerin | 23 février 2019

I have had 4 bent rims since October on the 20” rims. Not once has Tesla been able to provide me with a loaner tire and have basically left me on my own each time. The rims are paper thin and insufficient for use on the nj turnpike and/or the nj garden state parkWay as they cannot withstand the smallest of potholes. Tesla offered me a good deal to get 18” rims which I accepted but only to waste more of my time once they figured out they don’t fit with my brakes. It been 24 hrs since last flat and have repeatly requested a loaner tire and/or a new rim but they have indicated it will take two weeks and no loaners. They told me I had run flats when I picked up the can in sept 2018 and never mentioned that my rims or loaners are not available in times of need. My Tesla will sit for two weeks thank to Tesla. Buyer beware

Bighorn | 23 février 2019

@Tim
Why don’t you buy your own 18” rims? It’s as though you did no due diligence.

I have had 4 bent rims since October on the 20” rims. Not once has Tesla been able to provide me with a loaner tire and have basically left me on my own each time. The rims are paper thin and insufficient for use on the nj turnpike and/or the nj garden state parkWay as they cannot withstand the smallest of potholes. Tesla offered me a good deal to get 18” rims which I accepted but only to waste more of my time once they figured out they don’t fit with my brakes. It been 24 hrs since last flat and have repeatly requested a loaner tire and/or a new rim but they have indicated it will take two weeks and no loaners. They told me I had run flats when I picked up the can in sept 2018 and never mentioned that my rims or loaners are not available in times of need. My Tesla will sit for two weeks thank to Tesla. Buyer beware

Yeah, you said that already.

I purchased the 18” rims after three different service techs verified they would fit my model 3. When they went to mount them they finally realized they don’t fit with the performance brakes. There solution was for me to pay them to change all the brake calipers in order for the 18” wheels to fit. The costs were ridiculous. The issued me a price for the 19” rims but they are not available for about 6 weeks and very costly. Bottom line is I have no confidence they have these available for loaners either. This is a major Tesla issues-No spares, no loaners tires and no rims available for the 20” for “at least two weeks”. Currently I have no choice but to order another rim and fix one for spare. Regardless Tesla roadside and service centers are useless when it comes to flat tires on these 20” rims. The only solution offered by Tesla was to have car towed to service area 60 miles from my house only to sit and wait for rims for about two weeks. Loaner tire program so far has been non existant for my 20” rims in the state of NJ

Several vendors including Tirerack carry 18” wheels compatible with the Performance calipers.
https://tsportline.com/products/18-tst-tesla-wheel-set-of-4-model-3

rcmarshall | 23 février 2019

I feel your pain Timguerin,
I have the Model 3 Performance and the day I picked up the car in December I drove the 80 miles home from Devon PA then drove to the local mall to show my car to a friend who wanted to see it because his son, who lives in Seattle, just bought a M3. On the way to the mall I hit a small pothole at less than 20 mph and blew out both tires and bent both rims on the right side of the car. I pulled into the mall parking lot and called Tesla service. They picked up the car that night and flat bedded the car back to Devon. It stayed in Devon for 2 weeks until the replacements came in from California. They did send an Uber driver to pick me up to bring me back to Devon to pick up the car when it was finished. I realized right away that there would be now way I could continue to use the 20" wheels and tires in the coal region where I live because I figure that based on the amount of unavoidable potholes here, I would be replacing a rim and or tire at least once a month. I resolved the issue by purchasing a set of 18" wheels and tires from Tsportline that are designed for the Model 3 Performance with the large brakes. The winter package was out of stock at the time so I ordered the all weather tire package instead with the Continental tires. Delivery time was about 2 weeks. A lot of my anxiety about flats has now disappeared as these tires absorb ruts much better and the ride seems smoother. There also seems to be less road noise being generated by the tires.

Hucky Duck | 9 avril 2019

Yesterday I woke up to a front drivers-side flat tire. I have no tire tools or history with changing or fixing or repairing flat tires and probably not strong enough anyway so I'm useless to myself. A flat-bed tow truck can't tow from my location without damaging the car plus the service center doesn't have a 19" loaner. I was able to get a service center appt at 8 am on April 18. So it's a good time to try out grocery delivery services or else tomorrow the kitty won't be eating.

neilhamrin | 9 avril 2019

am so grateful I got in on the stealth P3 with 18" tires. Me and Bighorn. This thread is my main reason for wanting that combination. Love driving this car and do not worry about flats.

jvcesare | 9 avril 2019

I've had two flats in one year, same tire, right rear. First one was a rock in the road which sliced the sidewall. That needed a new tire (was towed to Tesla service center) The 2nd was a screw. That one was towed to Discount Tire where it was repaired for free. It also coincided with a need for my first tire rotation, which they also perform for no charge. Both times I inquired about a spare swap out, only to be told they don't have any for a Model 3.

BTW the tow truck driver told me he picks up a lot of Teslas, mostly for flats, but he has a lot of cases where people are out of charge. I thought Tesla drivers knew better?

Update. Something was wrong in the universe yesterday because just now everything with Tesla and the 19" tire just fell into place. Tow company is on their way and picking up a 19" loaner from the service center and will change my tire within the hour. Recently I read that Tesla is working on an update so the car avoids potholes. I just cringe so bad when I see one and don't have time to avoid it. I love Tesla sooo much, in other words, I love Tesla so, so, so much.

vmulla | 9 avril 2019

@jvcesare,
I think the tow-truck driver is just making stuff up. Tires for a Tesla are like any other, so there should be more/less incidents because the cars are Tesla. Picking up cars because they are out of charge? I'd expect the same people who run out of gas to run out of charge.
I'm not proud of this, but I discovered that Teslas have a lot of reserve capacity. I'm not going to share how far I could go with 0 estimated range, but I can say it's enough to make me not believe the tow-truck driver.

vmulla | 9 avril 2019

Oh, I held on to my Tesla tires when I got my tire-set replaced - just in case.

Update part duex. TIL today. No warranty on anything tires. Big Brand will replace my tire today for $159 instead of $350 Tesla will charge me. I've never had a flat tire before and bought a Model 3 so I didn't have to think all that much about car maintenance. It was delivered Feb 28th and now, already, it needs maintenance. Love is waning.

@jvcesare - my tow truck driver said the same thing, that he picks up a lot of Tesla's for flat tires and other issues, and he really dislikes Teslas.

jimglas | 9 avril 2019

FUD

rxlawdude | 9 avril 2019

@Hucky Duck, are you seriously implying that a flat tire is a car maintenance issue? Really?

Mike UpNorth | 9 avril 2019

@vmulla - share your 0 miles story!

@rxlawdude For me it is maintenance especially because I've never had a flat tire so please forgive me if I'm not familiar with car maintenance issue lingo. I bought the Model 3 because I don't know and I don't retain car maintenance lingo and I don't know how to talk to mechanics and I was forever getting taken by them. My Dad saw that I had paid $300 to have a gasket replaced on my Datsun and he actually cried about it. I just wasn't expecting a flat tire after driving fairly clean roads for 2 months and I'm just discouraged right now and I'm sorry to have implied something improper.

djharrington | 9 avril 2019

Is having your car backed into by a trash truck a maintenance problem?

Bighorn | 9 avril 2019

OMG

vmulla | 9 avril 2019

@Hucky Duck,
based on what you shared just now, Tesla is the best car for you. I'm talking purely from 'not getting swindled' perspective.

As far as tire prices go, Tesla does not enjoy the volume sales of big retailers, so it's typical to find lower tire prices outside of Tesla service -- but you're still going to get fair pricing at Tesla.

@vmulla for sure. After the tire is replaced and I'm back on the road my spirits will lift and everyday I am thankful that I don't have to face another dirty, noisy, greasy shyster garage to leave my car.

@djharrington I assume your trash truck comment was aimed at me. If so, please don't kick me when I'm down.

crmedved | 9 avril 2019

@Hucky Dock ... What they're trying to say is that the flat tire has nothing to do with your car being a Tesla. Cars get flat tires... it's mostly luck. So it's not really a maintenance issue. Although apparently potholes wreck the 20" tires. I have 18".

I saw someone recommend slime and/or the tesla tire repair kit. Careful with those. They're temporary fixes and likely will require replacing the TPMS in the tire which is >$100.

jefjes | 9 avril 2019

I would be hesitant to let a tow driver near my car after he told me he hates Teslas. He obviously hates his job too since unless he is lying, why would you hate a brand that you claim gives you more business? If I were the tow company and saw that Tesla got towed more than other brands, I may not drive one but I sure wouldn't discourage others from doing so. Heck, I'd probably tell everybody to go out and get one...;-)

Bighorn | 9 avril 2019

@crmedved
Based on my driving the country this winter, I’d say 18” wheels are not safe from potholes either. On my S, I swapped out my 21” rims for 19s, so comparable to the 3’s 18 inchers. I had a side wall blowout that I couldn’t plug in Virginia and a bent rim in Iowa that had the car driving like a washing machine until I could get a rim delivered by Tire Rack 1800 miles later. Almost bent another rim when a construction detour in Missouri took me through unavoidable deep potholes. I’d only had an issue with potholes once in the previous 5 winters and that was a mildly bent 21” rim from a Minneapolis pothole. Went over 100k miles on 21s before I had any issue at all.

Pages