Forums

Constant Humming Sound When Parked

Constant Humming Sound When Parked

Its been a Month for my model 3
There is a constant humming sound in my garage , when parked.. The pitch does change time to time.
Once it was parked for 6 days and , the sound never went away
Only one day , it went away, when i used the Service- Power off
The garage is mostly 58-62F , so it cannot be cooling. It can be heating, but should not be at 58F.
LR Car is loosing 2-3 percent every day

I think its some fan , due to changing pitch from fast to slow.

M3phan | 3 janvier 2019

Yes, mine hums. It’s probably Tesslarossa’s vocalized reminiscences of a good day of driving. Kind of like when I go Mmmmm after a great meal. Others warn that it’s a siren call to take it out on another drive. Technically, I’m not sure, but I believe I’ve heard that it’s because the car never really turns off per se, it’s always on, various systems gently cycling, battery coolant circulating, climate control regulating, battery charging, etc. It’s not annormal, if that’s what you’re wondering. Anyway, battery drain is not really a worry if you always plug in when at home.

What’s that, Tesslarossa? Another run through the park? Oh, ok. ; )

shawncordell | 3 janvier 2019

Mine hums, too. Sometimes when I’m working in the garage, we hum in unison.

TheSGC | 3 janvier 2019

2-3% vampire drain is normal, from posts here and on other sites...

supmail | 3 janvier 2019

The only way to stop humming, is by manually tun it off -- by Menu- Service- Power off , then the humming stops

Ron.Olsberg | 4 janvier 2019

AFAIK the humming is the cooling pump(s) running to cool the DC-to-DC converter that tops off the 12 volt battery. I have noticed the pump running for long periods of time in my garage and it the length of time varies. When it runs for 4-5 hours constant my Phantom drain go up to 10-12 miles/day. I still can not understand why it would take 5 hours to top off the 12V battery? I know the traction motor has never ran to heat the traction battery because I can hear it when it does. The only time the traction motor has been used to heat the battery is when the car has been actively charging and the temp is below around 47F. Phantom drain of 3%/day may not seem like much but is around 70KWH/month. I my case at 15 cents/KWH is over $10 per month added to my electric bill. Or put another way, if there were no Phantom drain, I could drive the car around 280 miles (which is more than I drive in a typical month). For me 1%-1.5% a day drain is acceptable but 3% is getting excessive.

cbmilehigh | 4 janvier 2019

3% is excessive. I lose 2 or 3 miles (1 percent or less) a day parked in the garage.

Droschke | 17 mai 2019

Happened to me yesterday afternoon and lasted non-stop over 10-11 hours. Consumed about 10 miles off the HV battery even though the car was plugged in. It sounded like when the car is being charged off the HPWC, except that it was not charging. I suspect it was doing the maintenance of the HV battery for some reason. SW version 2016.16.1.1, MS85, 2015.

perry | 5 juin 2019

I have been experiencing over the past couple days what Droschke experienced in May. My car has been parked in our driveway. Yesterday was pretty warm but today is not that hot of a day. Constant humming over a period of hours, some times louder than others. Battery loses mileage. I have scheduled a service appointment for next week but would appreciate any thoughts in the meantime.

Droschke - Did you continue to experience the issue?

minervo.florida | 5 juin 2019

Pretty sure this is the car taking care of itself. Normal for a Tesla Model 3. My P85D did it a lot less..

gryghst72 | 15 juillet 2019

Until Tesla comes out with an official statement, these are all just guesses about why the pumps are constantly running. I can understand the cooling pumps are running under certain situations to heat up or cool down the battery. Yet, anytime charging on low (yet inefficient) current or not even charging at all, the pumps should not be running. There is nothing to keep cool or warm for that matter. The ambient temps of the air should be sufficient to keep everything in check. I'd personally like to know what the thresholds are for the pumps on/off/on cycling (if it even exists).

With that said, if Tesla is running the pumps to cool the battery due to possible thermal runaway and to nip it in the bud before any heat builds up from just sitting around, that is a real concern. What if the pumps fail because they are being operated all the time?

Due to Tesla's tight lipped approach to how our cars operate, all we have are guessed (some even educated), conjectures, theories, and some down right stupid logic on all of these forums and boards.

For the sake of the truth, let's stop guessing and make Tesla give us more information about how our cars work and why it works the way it does. Don't just accept, "That's how it is" from them without proof or an explanation on why; and get that explanation in writing. Because, you know what Tesla, sometimes you get it wrong and that's not how it's suppose to work.

Bighorn | 15 juillet 2019

I suspect it was a response to the China fire which is the first supposedly spontaneous fire they’ve had. They may be under obligation from a govt agency to address it and this is likely a stop gap. The Model S has 3 pumps, so there’s some redundancy if one fails, but I imagine they’re designed with a long lifetime. I replaced mine when one started to underperform while supercharging after over 200k miles.