Forums

Tesla certification form for tax credit

Tesla certification form for tax credit

I received delivery of my Model 3 May 2018. How do I get the tax credit "certification" from Tesla. Do not have any certification with my delivery paper work.

pgminn52 | 2 mars 2019

Anyone have info regarding getting tax credit certification from Tesla to submit to IRS for tax credit?

SCCRENDO | 2 mars 2019

Just fill out the form. You need your vin and nothing from Tesla

NRGrin | 2 mars 2019

Go to irs.gov and do a search for FORM 8936. It is the Qualified EV Credit Form.

DTsea | 2 mars 2019

All you need is your VIN and form 8936.

pgminn52 | 3 mars 2019

Thanks for info

jowilson8888 | 22 mars 2019

I just filed my taxes. You need one figure that isn't inside the front door or in the owners manual for the Model 3: Battery capacity in kilowatt hours. My Evie, a mid range model, has 75 kwh capacity, according to a phone call I made to Tesla. Otherwise, it was very easy to claim my tax credit.

EVRider | 23 mars 2019

I don’t believe you actually need the battery capacity. Tesla and other automakers provide a list of vehicles that qualify for the full credit.

Yodrak. | 23 mars 2019

"I don’t believe you actually need the battery capacity."

Correct. You need Year Make and Model, VIN, Date Placed in Service, and Phaseout Percentage. Nothing about battery capacity. For model, S, X, or 3 will do.

chris_metevier | 8 avril 2019

TurboTax DOES ask for the battery capacity among the details you have to provide; I input 78KWH for a LR single motor M3; hopefully that is correct or close enough.

EVRider | 9 avril 2019

Yes, TurboTax asked me about battery capacity (and vehicle weight) too, and I put in 75 for our MR (guesstimate). The IRS only cares that the battery is 4kWH or higher and the weight is under 14,000 lbs.

Yodrak. | 9 avril 2019

"TurboTax DOES ask for the battery capacity"
"Yes, TurboTax asked me about battery capacity (and vehicle weight) too"

Interesting, because there is no place to put that information on Form 8936 Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit.

andy.connor.e | 9 avril 2019

Might not be a section on the form, but TurboTax may just ask you for that information regardless.

EVRider | 9 avril 2019

I'm guessing TurboTax is using that information to verify that you're eligible for the tax credit.

Yodrak. | 10 avril 2019

I'm guessing that any EV make and model that one would specify has a large enough battery and enough weight to qualify. One does have to provide the VIN, which should be sufficient to catch out those who might want to try to get the credit for their golf cart?

andy.connor.e | 10 avril 2019

Cant find any specific eligibility requiring a certain battery size. Only battery size requirement is plug-in hybrids to be a minimum of 4kWh. Purchase price does not seem to have an effect either. But for state tax credit, New York will give you a certain rebate based on the range of the vehicle.

SCCRENDO | 10 avril 2019

I just gave my delivery paperwork to my accountant and it was done. They pretty much need the vin and the date of purchase.

aholbroo | 9 mai 2019

I did not get the money back for my Model 3 with my IRS refund. I got a letter from IRS saying that I was given a lower refund but not why and just wanted to know if I agree with the new refund amount. I called IRS and used the interactive tax assistant and no info as to why I was not given the correct abount. I now must write a letter to ask the irs why because the IRS people aren't allowed to tell me after tax season. It gets worse I now must contact my Senator to find out if Congress rejected the credit or not. It appears accountants were told in January that the credit may not happen, but us tax payers were not told. What will Tesla do about this problem? This is a sad event for electric car future buyers as well.

EVRider | 9 mai 2019

@aholbroo: Whatever Congress does or doesn’t do this year has no impact on the EV tax credit for tax year 2018. If you took delivery of your new Model 3 last year and filed the appropriate form, you would have gotten the $7,500 credit. That doesn’t mean you were entitled to a refund — your refund (if any) depends on your total tax liability for last year and how much you paid in taxes during the year.

EVRider | 9 mai 2019

I should add that you would get the $7,500 only if your tax liability was at least that amount, which is the case for most people.

aholbroo | 9 mai 2019

I received back the difference of what I paid in for taxes minus what I owed. That is it.

aholbroo | 9 mai 2019

According to the IRS Congressional decisions made for the year taxes are submittd affect any rebates, refunds and credits--the rules can change if not funded.

EVRider | 10 mai 2019

@aholbroo: When 2018 ended, the Federal tax credit was still intact, and nothing the IRS or Congress does this year can impact 2018.

argee | 19 juin 2019

I owed over 11K in taxes had over 12K withheld and only got the difference back. I submitted the form for the TM3 and expected the tax credit to result in a larger return, but my tax return transcript indicates no credit was given. Anyone know how to get an explanation about what criteria weren't met?

Wright253 | 19 juin 2019

@pgminn52 Having a same issue when i purchase Model 3.

https://www.tellthebell.me/

EVRider | 20 juin 2019

@argee: If you took delivery of a new Model 3 last year then you met the criteria, since your tax liability was more than $7,500. Talk to your tax preparer, or if you did your own taxes, talk to the IRS. As long as the proper form was filed and completed correctly, the IRS would not disqualify the credit.

argee | 20 juin 2019

I am doing my own taxes. I just spoke with the taxpayer advocate service. I had asked IRS to "figure my tax" based on the instruction booklet, but they said IRS no longer does that (I had not completed my 1040, but the 8936 was complete). To make a long story short, TAS said I should submit an amended return filled out the way I want things to go and if they disagree they will explain what was wrong. The longer story involves me trading in a Bolt that I bought also in 2018 on the TM3 and whether or not I should get credit for that or not also, which the IRS could not tell me up front based on the wording of their criteria. Anyway, now I have a way forward. I think.

reed_lewis | 20 juin 2019

If you purchased an EV and kept it for at least one day and did not purchase it for direct resale, then you are eligible for the federal tax credit.

So you should be getting a $15k credit.

EVRider | 20 juin 2019

If your tax liability was $11k, that's the maximum credit you can get. Unfortunately you can't carry over the credit if you can't use it all.

kartflyr | 23 juin 2019

Does anyone know how to apply for California State tax rebate $2,500? I know it is a rebate and is not dependent on how much I owe the state. I purchased a Model S in 2018 from TESLA. What forms are requiired? How do I apply?

argee | 24 juin 2019

A few days after the check came there was a letter saying they had adjusted my refund to the difference I mentioned above - did I agree or disagree? So now I've submitted a letter and my Bolt paperwork and MVSA from Tesla and asked them whether I just filed it wrong or if the cars are disqualified for some reason. I asked them to tell me why if they're disqualified. So now I'll wait. I agree that the "acquired for resale" wording is confusing - there's also the criterion - you own the car - it doesn't say ...until the end of the year or what. I fear they will disqualify the Bolt because I traded it in, but I can't figure out why they would disqualify the TM3. What I should have done was keep the Bolt until the end of the year and bought the Tesla in 2019 at half the original tax credit, then, no questions. Oh well. Advice to new buyers: look up the law and what the criteria are and make sure you meet them. But don't count on the IRS to tell you up front what "acquired for resale" means. That comes straight out of the law and goes into the instructions for form 8936. I went to the tax office before I filed and explained my conundrum but they wouldn't commit to anything. Let you know what happens next.

OCModel3 | 24 juin 2019

California link for the rebate is here:

https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng

But bad news...it looks like the Rebate funds may be exhausted unless the state approves more. Tesla has been so great for California and the momentum to Electric is huge now so hopefully the state will fund it again.

If they do reopen it, expect a long delay anyway. It took almost 5 months before I got my check.

EVRider | 25 juin 2019

@argee: I tried replying to your last post a few times but got an accessed denied error. Here’s a shorter version: you should have gotten the full tax credit for both cars (capped to your tax liability). If the IRS disallowed part of your credit, you probably filed incorrectly.

cabbower | 29 juin 2019

Took delivery of our M3 in Sept.'18 and claimed the $7500 credit. Have well over 7500 in taxes so the credit should not be a problem. Used TurboTax and filled out the proper forms but received a notice from IRS saying we owe $7,500 in taxes. They were not specific in what the problem was but it seems a bit suspicious that they say we owe exactly what the ev credit is. We have been trying to contact the IRS to see what they think we have done incorrectly but have had little success. Will keep trying but am wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

cabbower | 2 juillet 2019

The latest, The IRS said it does not know why the tax credit was not allowed. They said all paperwork was filed correctly and the credit will be allowed. It took about 6 hours (mostly on hold) to straighten this out.