Forums

What will happen if i set my charge to 100% lifelong?

What will happen if i set my charge to 100% lifelong?

What will happen to my Tesla battery. let's say 5-8 years if i charge it to 100% everytime at home and supercharging? I am sorry if this question is repeated, i am new to the forum and i just wanted to know about this.

aryanambastha2000 | 9 mars 2019

Will my battery condition degrade too quickly?
Will it overheat my battery in any way?

jordanrichard | 9 mars 2019

Don’t. There really shouldn’t be a need to charge on a daily basis, to 100%.

No, your battery will not overheat, but it won’t like that practice.

bobksingh | 9 mars 2019

I don't have an answer to your question and frankly I don't see how charging it to 100% reduces the life of the battery. No one else has been able to answer that question either, other than don't do it. However, when I picked up my used S90 it had a max range of 265 and the Tesla rep said it was because the previous owner must have only supercharged, which makes sense. So I surmise, use SCs only when needed. Otherwise use trickle chargers.

EVRider | 9 mars 2019

Since charging to 100% all the time might degrade the battery, why take that chance when you don’t need to? If you have a daily commute that requires 100% of your range, then an EV is not the right choice for you.

Xerogas | 9 mars 2019

@aryanambastha2000: would you store rubber bands for years in some kind of device that keeps them stretched to the edge of their breaking limit? Why do the same with your battery?

90%: no problem
100%: asking for degradation

reed_lewis | 9 mars 2019

The worst thing for a Li-Ion battery is to remain at 100% charge and degrade more quickly than if you charge to 90%

stevenmaifert | 9 mars 2019

Every rechargeable battery will eventually lose the ability to hold as much charge as it did when it was new. That's called loss of capacity. Frequent charging to 100% and leaving it there for prolonged periods of time will hasten the onset of loss of capacity.

carlk | 9 mars 2019

Is there a need for you to do that?

jjgunn | 9 mars 2019

I charge to 87% at the SuCh & I get home with 83% & park the car.

Absolutely no reason to ever charge your Tesla to 100% - besides you lose brake Regen. It's pointless.

TeslaTap.com | 9 mars 2019

Perhaps a real world example is helpful. You charge your cell phone to 100%. The battery lasts a few years at best and then you either replace the battery or get a new cell phone.

Now if you expect to dump you car in two years - go ahead and charge to 100% every day.

Note that when people say how long a battery lasts, it doesn't just die, but the ability to hold a complete charge diminishes. It's not a clear bad/good situation, but most consider the battery at end of life when fully charged it only provides 70% of the original battery capacity. This degreation doesn't happen instantly, but occurs over time as you abuse the battery. Charging to 100% and leaving it at 100% for hours is slightly abusive. Doing it for years is slowly killing the battery.

Phone manufactures really don't care and prefer you buy a new phone every two years. They could easily design the battery to last 10 years, if they kept the SOC between 10% and 90%, but then the talk/use time is reduced. Just trade offs made in engineering and marketing (i.e. make the phone run as long as possible and keep the weight and size small. The solution - let the battery have greatly reduced capacity in a few years).

Darthamerica | 9 mars 2019

I think some of the Tesloop cars do this...

EVolution | 10 mars 2019

any studies show how faster the degradation occurs if you charge/uncharge from 90 to 10 instead of 100 to 10?
If after 30 000 cycles, the latter loses 10% more that would be significant

Frank99 | 10 mars 2019

Based on Tesloop's experience and the data collected by the Dutch/Belgium people:
https://electrek.co/2018/04/14/tesla-battery-degradation-data/
I'd guess that, if you set your daily charge to 90%, you'll have 90% of your battery range left in 15 years at 200,000 miles. Based on some other data I've run across and making some wild guesses, if you set your daily charge to 100% and you're in one of the cooler areas of the country, you'll probably have 80% of your battery range left at 200,000 miles. If you're in one of the hotter areas of the country (like me here in Phoenix), perhaps only 70% of battery range left at 200,000 miles (Lithium Ion batteries don't like being 100% charged, and they really don't like being 100% charged at high temperatures).
There are lots of confounding factors - for example, do you wake up in the morning and drive 100 miles? This would reduce the impact of 100% charging, because the car would only be at 100% for a few hours every day. If you instead leave your car parked and charging in a carport in Phoenix all summer long because you've fled to your summer house in Michigan, well then it might have more impact on the battery life.
Remember that, even if you decide on the 100% plan and your battery is at 70% at 200,000 miles, there will be a lot of used Model 3 battery packs available on the market. Tesla is going to sell a million or more Model 3's - that's a lot of accidents and totalled vehicles that'll be donating their packs to...someone. But, just like vehicles with Gas engines, one may assume that the value of a 15 year old/200,000 mile vehicle may not make it economically justified to spend a couple thousand dollars on a battery replacement.
IMHO, the used EV market won't be that different from the used ICE market - you can find creampuff cars with low mileage in perfect interior/exterior condition that sell for double the price of a daily driver that raised a couple kids from car seats to high school and have a good stash of french fries under the seats, and that's a perfectly reasonable state of affairs. Remaining battery life will be just one of those things that people look at when buying.

Earl and Nagin ... | 10 mars 2019

Here's another way to look at it that may hit the OP in the pocket book:
If you charge to 100% all the time, your battery will probably meet the end-of-life criteria the day after the warranty expires.

Earl and Nagin ... | 10 mars 2019

Here's another way to look at it that may hit the OP in the pocket book:
If you charge to 100% all the time, your battery will probably meet the end-of-life criteria the day after the warranty expires.

kishorekv | 10 mars 2019

Li-Ion batteries have an approximate number of discharging cycles in their lifetime - e.g. going from 100% to 0%. For some more info on this, see https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based...

TLDR.; the shallower the depth of discharge, the more discharge cycles your battery can deliver in it's lifetime. So, minimizing the number of times you go above 80% SoC, or drop below 10% will increase the total number of discharge cycles the battery can deliver in its lifetime. Don't charge over 80% or discharge below 30% unless absolutely necessary, as echoed by Elon himself.

jordanrichard | 10 mars 2019

Kishorekv, you should recommend links that don’t have anything to do with EV batteries. Per that article, batteries only have 300-500 cycles but they are talking about “consumer electronics” like phones, cordless drills etc. The battery chemistry and the associated BMS Tesla is in a different league all together.

xtermz | 11 mars 2019

Unlike going to 100% and keeping the battery there, I don’t think there are any detrimental effects to low battery %. From everything I’ve read, as long as the battery isn’t truly 0% there’s no issue.

Yodrak. | 11 mars 2019

"you should recommend links that don’t have anything to do with EV batteries"

should NOT recommend ?

nothotpocket | 11 mars 2019

@jordanrichard The article is about lithium ion batteries and menitions electric vehicles as well. Depth of discharge, temperature, etc. affect lithium ion batteries no matter what device they are in. Since the OP is talking about the effect of charging to 100% I think that the article is spot on.