Forums

Spare tire

Spare tire

I haven't heard anyone say or show anything about a spare tire. I live in a rather rural area and am prone to taking back country roads which can murder regular street tires. I am looking at getting a Y probably beginning of 21.

If it doesn't would the frunk have enough room to house a full sized spare?

SCCRENDO | 18 mars 2019

I had a series on flats in my Model 85S early on and have a full size spare in the frunk that I have not had to use. The frunk has now become smaller so does not fit a fill size spare. I do not carry a spare in my Model 3. One would have to fill up the trunk.

jimglas | 18 mars 2019

Similar for me. After a couple of flats I carry a spare in the trunk when in such situations.

TeslaTap.com | 18 mars 2019

Two suggestions to avoid carrying a spare:
1) Of tire options, pick the smallest one (i.e. 18" on M3). Ones with thinner sidewalls (i.e.19") are riskier for flats.
2) Carry an electric air pump and slime - allows you to fix some flats

jimglas | 18 mars 2019

slime doesn't work if you have tires with foam sound stuff in them

mbowden | 18 mars 2019

So those that carry a spare its just loose in the trunk?

Plugs/slime won't suffice, several of my flats have been literally the carcase breaking (no penetration just several cracks on the inside of the tire going radially out from the point of impact) which were quality 29" diameter LT tires on a 15" rim. Rocky roads even when well maintained are murder on tires.

Roadside assistance can be up to 3+ hours, if they will go to where I am at.

jimglas | 18 mars 2019

yup, just sitting in the trunk. A have had 2 flats with my 18" wheels.

sosmerc | 18 mars 2019

Well I guess for that rugged off road/safari look you could strap your spare tire on the roof !
Funny how for such a long time we had cars and trucks with full size spares and we never seemed to need them. Now we all worry (and apparently for good reason) about flats and what to do because we no longer have spares...or even a good place for them. I currently drive a Volt and I hear all kinds of horror stories about frequent tire problems....knock on wood, I haven't had any issues yet and have about 24,000 miles on my tires. But I do worry!

mbowden | 18 mars 2019

Thanks for the feedback.