Forums

What higher profile 18" tires has anyone installed without clearance problems?

What higher profile 18" tires has anyone installed without clearance problems?

Greetings,

I'm scheduled to take delivery of my basic $35,000 Model 3 SR tomorrow evening. Looking forward to it a lot.

I'm trying to figure out what the highest profile tire I could install on 18" wheels would be without rubbing the suspension arms behind the front wheel. For example, I'd really like to go to a 225/55-18 size tire (with narrower 8" wide wheels offset a little to the outside of the vehicle). Has anyone actually put taller tires on? And if so, what size worked?

Someone in an earlier post here had success with 235/50-18 winter tires.

And yes, I know it will affect handling, speedometer, etc, etc, etc. I am fine with that. I've always installed higher profile tires on all my cars in the interest of ride comfort as well as prolonging suspension bushings & other sensitive electronics that die when subject to miles and miles of harshness.

lbowroom | 17 avril 2019

Can I convince you to buy a leaf or bolt instead?

tm4000m | 18 avril 2019

@lbowroom 1st off, great name :-) Second, LOL... interesting tactic. Eventually Tesla needs to release the Model LeSaber (why not.. Buick isn't using it anymore) with "Silly plush handling, do not attempt to turn, even if your blinker has been on for the last 4 miles" The over 70 crowd will eat it up. BUT it needs to not be available without FSD, and doesn't come with a steering wheel.