Forums

Car unlock M3

Car unlock M3

I accidentally left my phone in the car this morning. When I realized I went to car and was able too open car without car key. This is huge security hole. So if I leave car in the phone anyone an open the car. I did not try to drive but even if I can’t my things are open for grab. Anyone else experienced this.
What is best way to report this bug/ enhancement.

casun | 6 mai 2019

bug? if you leave your key in your car, anyone can use it to drive your car. the “fix” is not leaving your key in your car. and use pin to drive.

sananpx | 6 mai 2019

If you leave your key in car, the car alert you after you close the car, you can’t lock your car with key in. Tesla doesn’t alert you that you are leaving your phone which happens to be key as well.
I will classify it as a bug.

casun | 6 mai 2019

you can classify it however you want but it works as intended, hence, not a bug. use pin to drive.

Bighorn | 6 mai 2019

Oh FFS

geedub1023 | 6 mai 2019

Totally agree it's not a bug. Use the key card and not your phone to lock/unlock your M3 if you're prone to forgetting your phone in the car.

apodbdrs | 6 mai 2019

@sananpx, when you walked away, obviously the car horn didn't sound off or the mirrors fold. Pay attentioon, the car is working fine. It is you that has a "bug", so try patching yourself! Idiots, never take responsibility! TESLA, NO BUG, just a forgetful and lazy person!

csimgo | 6 mai 2019

Agreeing with @apodbdrs.

derotam | 6 mai 2019

Would it be NICE if the car more actively alerted you that the key was still in the car when you get out, yes, but there are a lot of cars out there that have no such alert either. That is a nice to have but not a bug. Only bug is with you forgetting your phone in your car.

I am only saying the next thing because you opened yourself up to it... you said "I will classify it as a bug" Please use form ID10-T to file your report with Tesla.

ICEMELT | 6 mai 2019

@OP think about the flip scenario. If the car was locked when you went back, how would you open the car?

rdh37 | 6 mai 2019

Normally I try not to be harsh but in this case...Imagine the phone is a physical car key (like in the bad old days). You leave the car unlocked and with the key inside, well then anyone who wanders by can steal your car. I often forget my phone in the car but I listen for the car locking. Usually I get a few feet away (maybe 30 or so), don't hear the horn and then go back and get my phone. This is still more convenient (for me) than dealing with the key card. I certainly do not blame Tesla for this. In fact, I think it is a well done design. The only thing I wish is that there were more interior lights in the car (full premium interior in mine). With the black interior I often forget things other than my phone that are also in black cases as they are very hard to see. I think there was an old comedy bit on this (black on black design) in the series The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I might be mistaken as it is many years since I read it. In any event, please do not waste time blaming others when you leave your car's key in the car. Also, yes, Pin to Drive is an excellent additional safety feature. I just wish, as others have stated, that the keyboard would scramble each time to make it less obvious what your code is. Have a nice day.

lilbean | 6 mai 2019

Flagged. The bug is you.

lilbean | 6 mai 2019

How about these notifications? You walk away and your car doesn’t lock or you try to take a selfie and your phone isn’t on you.

casun | 6 mai 2019

sananpx when you return to this thread please let us know how you fit your car IN your phone. that seems like a pretty cool trick and i’d like to show my friends.

82bert | 6 mai 2019

Gotta call a spade a spade. You’re an idiot, OP. I’m starting to wonder if there needs to be some sort of qualifying exam before you buy a 3.

We’ve gotten to the point where anything and everything is someone else’s fault. Person responsibility is essentially dead.

gballant4570 | 6 mai 2019

casun, my car fits in my phone - using the Tesla app, I can see it in there. I never see anyone inside it tho.

Magic 8 Ball | 6 mai 2019

@sananpx Only bug is the one up your butt, dig deep.

casun | 6 mai 2019
RedPillSucks | 6 mai 2019

None of the cars I have had alert me when I leave the keys in the car, unlocked.

cborstein | 6 mai 2019

@Derotam HAHAHA love your last comment, fellow soldier!

To the OP, I must quote Bugs Bunny..."What an ultramaroon!!!"

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 6 mai 2019

@ sananpx,
Tesla will never be able to fix your stupidity.

lordmiller | 6 mai 2019

@82bert - I second that. You should have to pass a Tesla test and a basic IQ test. I think the OP is in the "dull" category.

calvin940 | 6 mai 2019

Agree it's not a bug. In fact using the phone as a key actually ensures I never forget my car keys in the car for very long because I notice my phone missing way before I would have noticed my car keys were missing.

RoadDevil | 6 mai 2019

The result is expected and intended as Tesla informed us, so it is not a bug by the definition.

On the other hand there is no need for people barking loud like junk yard dogs on OP. Perhaps there is room for improvement, if enough owners complain.

82bert | 6 mai 2019

No, roaddevil. There’s nothing to fix here. Over complicating something like remembering to take your phone out of the car has downstream, unintended consequences and ultimately leads to more problems.

AWDTesla | 6 mai 2019

Amazing.

RoadDevil | 6 mai 2019

@82bert. I understand. My thinking is in some circumstance, say, in camping mood, people sleeping in car, then phone will be in the car overnight, will it be better if car locks itself after certain amount of time if owners forget to luck car manually? Again , it is perhaps as I have not tried myself yet.

RoadDevil | 6 mai 2019

Camping mode

rdh37 | 6 mai 2019

There is a lock icon on the screen that can be used to lock the car regardless of the state/location of the phone.

RoadDevil | 6 mai 2019

@rdh37,

You missed my point, I am not saying it can not be locked, I already say if..., reading other people’ whole post before making comment .

howard | 6 mai 2019

I don't consider it a bug but it could be an enhancement. Maybe selectable so those of you who have never left your phone in the car can select to leave it off. I often have my phone out and do not always put it back in my pocket and have left it in the car. Usually, I catch it because I am always waiting to hear the stupid lock beep because some times it does not lock when it should. I don't think everyone needs to insult the poster. Drop of blood in the water and every shark comes to the frenzied feeding. This is the most childish name calling forum I have ever been part of. Tarnishes the whole Tesla ownership.

82bert | 6 mai 2019

It’s ok to leave, howard. Seriously.

@howard Are you name calling the forum with your claim of: "This is the most childish name calling forum............"?

Does the word hypocrite mean anything to you?

howard | 6 mai 2019

M8B. “Hypocrite” that is rather mild for you. Thanks for refraining from you true feelings.

@howard You know what my "true" feelings are? Do tell.

howard | 6 mai 2019

They are often on full display. No mystery there.

Techy James | 6 mai 2019

@rdh37 I have used the PIN to drive just to test it out, and each time it would pop up I noticed it was in a slightly different place. I only tested it for a few days. After which I disabled it as it was more of a nuisance to have to enter a pin to drive.
I agree the fact the car don't lock automatically when you leave the key (ie your phone) in the car is not a bug. Many cars have this same feature and will not lock if you leave the key/fob in your car. Some do and some don't have an alert when you leave the car if you leave the car. To state the obvious here, you need to make sure you take whatever key system you use when you leave the car.
If you leave your phone in the car, and someone walks by and sees your phone and try's to open the car finds it unlocked. They may do the quick grab to steal the phone or any other obvious items you left out in sight. They may even try to take it for a spin, if you enabled PIN to drive, realize they can drive off so they grab any valuables in sight and leave the area, closing door behind them to look less suspicious. At this point your car will lock, maybe soon after you realize you left your phone in the car, now you are locked out of your car with no way in, and you have also lost your phone. It's a double loose here because unless you have Valet Card you can't get into your car.

So the lesson here is Don't ever leave your Key's or other valuables in the car this is invitation for would be criminal that they have easy pickings here. Second thing, why would you even need to take your phone out of your pocket while in your car, you can answer calls right from the touchscreen without ever touching your phone? PS if you answer for Text, then someone needs to take your phone/keys away from you as that is worst than drinking and driving as it has your focus off driving. Even with Autopilot your only in a Level 2 autonomous car, and must remain alert to take over even without warning.

howard | 6 mai 2019

Techy James, I have people complain that the sound quality when on bluetooth speakerphone thru the Tesla interface is poor quality. My wife insists that I call direct from my phone. I also take it out to use Waze which is better than the Tesla map app. There are a few other things as well...

This is one of the better features of CarPlay on my Volt. Texts are read to me and I respond verbally.

RoadDevil | 6 mai 2019

@howard++

This is Tesla’s forum , not 82bert or anyone else’s!

82bert | 6 mai 2019

If you’ve followed howard on here enough, you’d swear it’s GM’s forums. I’ve ”learned” more about the volt here than anywhere else.

RoadDevil | 6 mai 2019

That is ok to me to learn about other cars, as long as it is relevant to discussion. If Tesla were afraid people talking about other cars, Tesla would not have survived by now.

RoadDevil | 6 mai 2019

That is ok to me to learn about other cars, as long as it is relevant to discussion. If Tesla were afraid people talking about other cars, Tesla would not have survived by now.

Forum cop pissing contest.

Popcorn, on sale here.

geedub1023 | 6 mai 2019

"This is the most childish name calling forum I have ever been part of. Tarnishes the whole Tesla ownership."

Wow...don't be so thin-skinned. Around my family and friends if you say something stupid you get verbally bombarded. I have nothing against the OP but come on he leaves his phone in the car and it's a bug because his car doesn't alert him. Sheesh....

Forums are forums. Say what you want...it doesn't "tarnish" anything IMO.

CharleyBC | 6 mai 2019

@sananpx: So let’s imagine we’re going to modify the software to handle this situation in a way that you feel is more secure. You’ve complained about the existing behavior, but you made no proposal for how you’d change it.

If the car were to alert you, how would it do so? Sending a text to your phone is no good. A single honk is no good, since you’d think that was walk-away lock. Maybe a triple honk? It could roll down the windows and holler, “hey, you forgot your phone!” on the stereo, but that has some serious security ramifications too.

The car could lock itself, but then you’d really be screwed if you didn’t have your key card on your person. And if you left your phone, you very well might have left your wallet too. Besides, that’s contrary to the whole stated design of walk-away lock, which says it works by detecting the phone out of the car.

So what DO you want in a proposed new feature?

jithesh | 6 mai 2019

you should never car in the phone.. bad idea !

AWDTesla | 6 mai 2019

I certainly wouldnt come here for advice on my car, that's for sure. Much better forums for better technical discussions. This is a trolling forum for fanbois and fraudsters to duke it out on. I regularly tell potential Tesla drivers to not bother coming here for your questions unless you want to be insulted and argue. I point them to the good forums where people behave like they were talking face to face.

AWDTesla | 6 mai 2019

The car already tells me when I leave my phone in the car when I dont hear the horn while walking away.

CharleyBC | 6 mai 2019

@AWDTesla: Yeah, good point. And when it’s noisy, there’s looking back to see whether the mirrors folded.

rchau28 | 6 mai 2019

Doesn't your car locks by itself after 15 minutes (even when you're in the car)?

lbowroom | 6 mai 2019

No, the car won't lock with the phone key inside. This is a good thing.

Pages