Forums

Tesla in Europe-Do they have a chance?

Tesla in Europe-Do they have a chance?

Just completed a 1300 mile driving trip through Europe-FRA- Königstein im Taunus-Karlovy Vary-Prague-Telč-Vienna-The Wachau-Salzburg-Hohenschwangau-Dinkelsbühl-Rothenburg-FRA. Last time we did this was in 2014, shortly after I bought my first Model S. At that time we did not see a single Tesla in Germany, Switzerland, or France, not surprising, as they were very rare here in Scottsdale then. However, today, Scottsdale is crawling with all three models. It is pretty clear that here, Tesla is out selling the S class, the 7 Series, and the Audi 8 combined. So we expected to see Europe crawling with them. Here’s what we saw: one in Königstein [richest town in Germany], Zero east on the autobahn across Germany. Zero in the Czech republic. Three in Vienna: a 3, an X,and one S, a taxi. Two Ss in Salzburg: both Taxis. One S driving north back to FRA. 7 TOTAL. Not exactly a scientific study, but there it is. Not a pretty picture in an environment where gas is $7 per gallon. We didn’t see any E Jags either.

We saw probably 20 Mustangs in Germany-they do love their muscle cars. We saw four or five distinctive Mercedes models which aren’t sold here-including a pick up truck [X Class], and an absolutely lethal looking four-door coupe. Lots of Panameras. I’m guessing that in Germany, the Taycan will outsell Tesla by an order of magnitude.

Tesla appears to be a complete non entity in Germany. In 2018 Tesla sold 1905 cars, which was 5% of total EV sales in Germany for that year. That 1905 represents 0.05% of total car sales in Germany. 7 different manufacturers sold more EVs than did Tesla - dominated by VW.

So Tesla is a rounding error in the country that engineers and builds the best cars in the world. And they haven't even started seriously with EVs ....

mcdonalk | 22 mai 2019

Porsche in Glendale, AZ - do they have a chance?

Today, I ran a 30-minute errand near where I live in Glendale, AZ, suburb of Phoenix which spans lower-middle class to upper-middle class homes. In that time, I saw two Model X, three Model S (not counting mine), and three Model 3's. I didn't see one Porsche. Porsche appears to be a non-entity in Glendale, AZ.

NOLEK SUM | 24 mai 2019

Interesting but not surprising. Scottsdale and Cave Creek are CRAWLING with Porsches, but we are a far different demographic than Glendale.

Every time I see a Porsche I want to ask the driver, before I blow him away, Why in the world he bought a Porsche when for the same money he could get a Tesla? They do have their allure and their devotees. The Taycan will do very well.

Madatgascar | 24 mai 2019

A friend of mine just bought a Porsche. I gave her son a spin in my Performance 3, and he was blown away. The Tesla is faster, safer, drives better, has much more passenger and storage space, costs less. and doesn’t spew smelly exhaust. He’ll be reporting to his mom...

Roger1 | 25 mai 2019

Teslas are expensive cars outside the US. A model 3 LR rear drive in Toronto, Canada with sales tax is over $65 thousand Canadian dollars. A good quality conventional car will run somewhere in the mid $40 thousand range. If you have a long commute and can charge in your garage then the economics of a Tesla can work because of high gas prices. I think variations of this high price problem exist elsewhere in the world including Europe. The value of the US dollar is very high at present and creates a barrier to exports. When Tesla begins production in China there may be an opportunity for lower pricing in non-US markets. Fundamentally lower production costs in China mean cars can be sold in other markets at lower prices than the US without attracting anti-dumping charges.

Canadians are generally concerned about climate change and have to live with high gas prices. In Toronto, I expect to see several Teslas on any trip I take around the City. Tesla recently opened a Supercharger (20 stalls) just a 10 minute walk from my home so I always see Teslas now. Teslas are less common outside the city and rare away from major travel routes.

On this past Thursday, I saw 3 Audi etrons outside the Audi dealer not far from my home. The cars had Ontario manufacturer plates so I think they may have been visiting the dealership for sales staff familiarization. The Porsche dealership is next door to Audi and already has chargers (I think level 3) prominently located in the front of their parking lot. I have never seen ICE vehicles parked in the EV stalls. The competition for high end electric car customers is beginning.

NOLEK SUM | 25 mai 2019

Madatgascar: Of course it is far superior to a Porsche. No one disputes that. The S is orders of magnitude the best Automobile ever built. That is why it is so sad that Elon Musk is running this company into the ground. See the front page article in today’s Wall Street Journal. The outlook is dire. They desperately need new management who know how to build automobiles.

TeslaTap.com | 25 mai 2019

@NOLEK SUM - I read the article - had some valid parts, but more of a standard hit piece. Not sure I'd want any other automaker's management - they are the ones running their companies into the ground with the same old out-of-date crap mobiles. I expect at least half of them will be out of business in 10 years. They gave up on vertical integration years ago and are now mostly an assembler of parts from the supplier with the lowest cost. It's a race to the bottom. Those automakers do make a fine ICE engine - to bad it has little future value in consumer use, engineering or manufacturing talent.

On "Tesla in Europe-Do they have a chance?" Tesla is doing rather well as of late. In March alone they are the #1 EV and got 44% of all Europe EV sales https://insideevs.com/news/345834/tesla-captures-45-of-electric-car-sale... This against other cheaper EVs and during a Q1 slump for other automakers in Europe (although that may be because Tesla is doing so well there).

The Model 3 is the best-selling car in Norway, Switzerland and the Netherlands in March - this is against all cars, EVs and ICE. Seems Tesla is doing quite well.

rglossin | 25 mai 2019

I'm one of those Cave Creek Porsche drivers and have gotten very close to buying a model S. This community is well balanced in all types of vehicles and is not crawling with any one in particular. I'm leaning towards the Rivian R1T but I guess I will be tagged one of those on this web site for sure.

Al1 | 27 mai 2019

Who? Tesla or Europeans?

TeslaTap.com | 27 mai 2019

@rglossin - Go for it. Most of us are happy for anyone getting an EV, even if not a Tesla. Only you can evaluate your needs and wants. When it comes what each of us like in styling - well that's all over the map :)

virtualpassage | 30 mai 2019

They just might if they get their acts'' together.. beside the profits from car sales is chicken feed'' compared to the potential in the upcoming AR/VR market.
A VR headset to match the Teslasuit sounds like a idea...

Uncle Paul | 30 mai 2019

Most European countries levy harsh inport duties on cars produced outside their common market.

Tesla in Europe will cost almost double what customers would pay in US.

Germans make lots of fine cars themselves. Most customers look at the entire package before making their purchase, and most times it will be the one with the lowest tariffs.

Still, inspite of that, lots of cars are being purchased in Europe and Asia. Many countries are beginning to ban ICE vehicles from entering their city centers. The pollution has been terrible and with their National Healthcare they are doing what they can to keep their citizens healthy.

Uncle Paul | 30 mai 2019

Most European countries levy harsh inport duties on cars produced outside their common market.

Tesla in Europe will cost almost double what customers would pay in US.

Germans make lots of fine cars themselves. Most customers look at the entire package before making their purchase, and most times it will be the one with the lowest tariffs.

Still, inspite of that, lots of cars are being purchased in Europe and Asia. Many countries are beginning to ban ICE vehicles from entering their city centers. The pollution has been terrible and with their National Healthcare they are doing what they can to keep their citizens healthy.

Earl and Nagin ... | 31 mai 2019

The biggest challenge Tesla will have in Europe is the well-intentioned tendency to pass laws that mandate standardization such as mandating the charger type and equal access. While arguably good for the people in the long run these laws can stifle innovation by punishing those who invest in creating new things. They mean that laws may require others can take advantage of and burden Tesla's investment in charging infrastructure without helping to pay for it.

virtualpassage | 2 juin 2019

A full simulated virtual test drive is the way to go,it's really not that far off.The teslasuit is a ingenius application requiring an ergonomic headset to top it off..