Forums

Plugging in...........

Plugging in...........

I think my earlier post didn't post.

Does it do any harm if I leave the (non vehicle) end of the charging cable plugged into the wall? Yes, I'm lazy but I wasn't sure whether all the inserting/removing the cable would create socket wear.

Thanks for your reply. Ron

gmr6415 | 12 juin 2019

Mine has been plugged into our 14-50 outlet 24/7 for almost a year now except when I take it on long trips. I haven't seen any issue so far.

I personally think "socket wear" would only occur on a poor quality outlet. Think of all the times a given wall receptacle in your home has things plugged in and removed over 30 or so years.

VolleyballNE1 | 12 juin 2019

FYI, I found those searching google by typing the following in the search field:
site:forums.tesla.com "plugged in"

EVRider | 12 juin 2019

Your earlier post is there too, but with a different title: https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/easy-question-re-charge-cable

Feel free to delete that one.

gballant4570 | 12 juin 2019

You want to leave the charge cord plugged in.

Gordon87 | 12 juin 2019

NEMA 14-50 outlets are not meant for constant unplugging and plugging. Leave that end plugged in. For this reason, I bought a second NEMA 14-50 adapter to take the few times I travel, removing the mobile charger from the 14-50 adapter plugged in to my outlet. Also, when I removed the charger once when they were cleaning our apt. garage (and we needed to move our cars), I covered the open end of the adapter with a plastic bag to protect it.

Gordon87 | 12 juin 2019

NEMA 14-50 outlets are not meant for constant unplugging and plugging. Leave that end plugged in. For this reason, I bought a second NEMA 14-50 adapter to take the few times I travel, removing the mobile charger from the 14-50 adapter plugged in to my outlet. Also, when I removed the charger once when they were cleaning our apt. garage (and we needed to move our cars), I covered the open end of the adapter with a plastic bag to protect it.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 12 juin 2019

This may be overkill but I shut off the 14-50 breaker after I unplug from my car. I’m a believer that electronics don’t age when there’s no power. Tin whiskers and all that.

kevin_rf | 12 juin 2019

I'm pretty sure tin wiskers do not require power to form.

Neomaxizoomdweebie | 12 juin 2019

@kevin_rf,
Really?
After consulting Wikipedia it would seem you’re correct.

smogne41 | 12 juin 2019

Yeah, it might wear out the socket eventually. Luckily they are only ~$10 and easy to swap out yourself (just make absolutely sure the breaker is turned off).

smogne41 | 12 juin 2019

I got tired of swapping the charging cable back into the car as well. I installed the HPWC on a 14-50 cable (not the one Tesla sold briefly). It will get you 40 amp charging and you can still use the socket for other things if you ever need to. There is a good wright-up of how to DIY it here:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Tesla-Wall-Connector-Installation/

Bighorn | 12 juin 2019

No

IHaveArrived | 13 juin 2019

I have never unplugged mine, even when traveling. That's because for all my road trips the supercharger network provided the coverage I need.

CharleyBC | 13 juin 2019

Ours has been plugged in nonstop for 11 months, except 3 trips to Utah, when we took the charging toys along.

llim3306 | 14 juin 2019

Need some help. I plugged in my car while on vacation. My car turned on and charging itself. I had to repeatedly turned off the charger via my cell phone several times while on vacation. How come?

Los Angeles | 14 juin 2019

I leave it plugged in

Gordon87 | 14 juin 2019

llim3306 - There is a small energy drain from the car just sitting. It’s more if you have overheat protection or sentry mode turned on. So, the car will recharge to your set limit when it falls sufficiently below that limit. You can minimize this, if you want, by charging to say, 80% before you leave, but then setting your charge limit to 50%. In that case, if the small drain never drops the charge from 80% to below 50%, the car will never recharge while you are away.

Tesla has indicated that it is a good idea to keep the car plugged in.

slingshot18 | 14 juin 2019

Maybe a more descriptive title next time?

ODWms | 15 juin 2019

I’ve yet to encounter a situation where I needed my cable on the road while traveling.

kevin_rf | 15 juin 2019

While I agree, have only needed the J1772 one, I am planning some car camping this summer outside of the SC network and it will come in handy.

gballant4570 | 15 juin 2019

llim3306, no need to fool with the charging while you're away from the plugged in car. Just set the charge limit to 90% or less before you go, leave it plugged it, and let the car do what it needs to do. That will include charging sometimes - that is the reason you leave it plugged in.