Forums

85kWh Battery - Update - Reduced Capacity

85kWh Battery - Update - Reduced Capacity

My vehicle was impacted with reduced capacity of 13kWh over two months ago; reached out to Tesla for remediation to be told battery is operating as expected given millage and age,
and that the update has performed a re-calibration to reflect a true state of capacity.

After having paid for the Ludicrous upgrade, I now find myself with reduced performance and reduced range of over 40 miles , charges times have also increased - to obtain previous 80% capacity I now have to charge to 90% adding an additional 25 minutes to charging times.
I trust in Tesla, but two months on with several updates, still awaiting a fix ....hope your right and it’s not a permanent thing.
Reading through threads on other forums, the reasoning as to why Tesla have targeted specific 85kWh battery owners still remains unknown .

eggbert747 | 16 août 2019

The main problem is Tesla hasn't been honest. I sure they are deathly afraid of a spontaneous fire in maybe someone's house/garage. If this actually happened and there was loss of property and even loss of lives Tesla would be toast, so to speak. I don't agree with their methods but as they said "out of an abundance of caution" they tweaked the software. Unfortunately this is causing a loss of range for many. I sure they are working day and night to re-tweak the battery settings to a less conservative battery and supercharging throttling. I'll take a mileage hit, for the short term for Tesla to survive, but yes, truth and transparency would have been a better approach. Love the car, not always their business platform.

rydo_25 | 16 août 2019

My 2012 P85 had a significant drop a while back - went for 252 miles on a full charge to 222. Was told to let my battery drop to ~10% and recharge fully. Repeat and it should fix. Nothing. Then last week after another update I now see that my max charge sits at 213. Very disappointing. Tesla continues to tell me that my battery is in excellent condition. Has anyone else seen another drop in the last week or so?

Bighorn | 17 août 2019

Just saw 120 kW charging in Asheville on the P85+. Back to normal or super normal levels

GHammer | 17 août 2019

@BH And it held? I've seen up to 128 on mine but it only goes for about 5 seconds and drops back to 90.

GHammer | 17 août 2019

NM Saw answer at TMC

jordanrichard | 17 août 2019

Did it ever occur to anyone that this may be a temporary thing. Remember when there was a tire fire from a guy running over a receiver hitch and Tesla quickly eliminated the ability to lower your car, if you had the air suspension. Everyone was crying over that, threatening lawsuits, blah, blah, blah. Then Tesla brought that ability back. So instead of running around screaming that the world has come to an end, give it some time.

bottesini | 17 août 2019

Downloaded 28.3.1 today and just did a 100% charge to my 2017 100d just to see what would happen. Recently I’d not able to get past 306 miles on a full charge after reliably hitting 325 - 330. After the download and a reboot I got 326. So it looks like maybe the reduced miles might be getting some attention.

dborn @nsw.au | 17 août 2019

Jordan Richard, while you might be correct, maybe they SHOULD have provided the info? They would not need to make a public release, a personalized email would do it, and they certainly have the capacity to easily do that for just the affected owners......

NoMoPetrol | 18 août 2019

I just finished a road trip from SoCal to Utah. Like abel2, I bought a CPO 2013 S85 with 33,400 miles. At the time of purchase the 265 mile range had dropped to 258. It is now at 68,000 miles and 252 miles of range when charging to 100% after being below 20%. I used a destination charger to bring it to 100%, not a Supercharger.

Considering that I still have 95% of the original battery capacity, and the only time I spent more than 30 minutes at a Supercharger was when we stopped for lunch, I don't see anything worthy of a class action lawsuit with my car.

2015P90DI | 19 août 2019

@eggbert747 | August 16, 2019
The main problem is Tesla hasn't been honest. I sure they are deathly afraid of a spontaneous fire in maybe someone's house/garage. If this actually happened and there was loss of property and even loss of lives Tesla would be toast, so to speak. I don't agree with their methods but as they said "out of an abundance of caution" they tweaked the software. Unfortunately this is causing a loss of range for many. I sure they are working day and night to re-tweak the battery settings to a less conservative battery and supercharging throttling. I'll take a mileage hit, for the short term for Tesla to survive, but yes, truth and transparency would have been a better approach. Love the car, not always their business platform.

---------------

If your version happens to be the true reason they reduced range, then that tells me there's a problem with the battery. Battery is under warranty for what, 8 years, 100,000 miles? Or unlimited miles. If that's really the case and they don't think the battery can handle what it was designed to do, then that's a flaw or failure and Tesla should just recall the battery and offer replacements. People didn't buy their cars with the expectation that Tesla would choose to reduce its capability some time in the future.

Tesla pissed me off with my first car. The degradation was horrible and the car could no longer do even 200 miles under optimal driving conditions. I just kept getting the standard "it's within acceptable tolerances" line and they wouldn't do anything. I literally had to sell the car because I could no long make the trips I needed to make without having to drive 30 miles out of the way to find a supercharger, then 30 miles back, so basically had to blow an hour of time to deal with a car rated at 265 miles not being capable of 200 miles after just 2 1/2 years.

Tesla's lucky I loved their cars, otherwise, I would have been long gone after that experience. Not to mention the issue with the air suspension that turned out to be a 2 minute fix, yet Tesla Service Center kept refusing to do anything until corporate got involved. After 6 months of the car bottom out everywhere, they finally put in the 2 minutes and fixed it. Was working on getting the battery done when I just decided to upgraded to the P90D, so gave up that fight.

Above is only relevant IF Tesla actually is reducing the range because of their concerns that the battery can't take it. Obviously that would have to be proven, then appropriate action could be taken. I'm sure Tesla doesn't want to incur the cost of replacing a bunch of batteries under warrant if they can avoid it.

2015P90DI | 19 août 2019

I'm still personally surprised that Tesla doesn't used the adjusted estimate of battery range based on driving conditions like most other manufacturers do. I know with my Volt, it was very accurate as it based the range of my typical driving habits. The Tesla range is always based on the same thing. I'd rather have one that is based on my normal driving over the past 30 miles. At least its something that might be more accurate in many situations. Tesla's set range figure is no different that a version of just showing the percentage of battery remaining.

At least if you are navigating to a destination, the system then does provide an adjusted range estimate based on your trip, temperature, elevation changes, etc. That to me is FAR more useful than just the number of miles the battery is capable of in perfect driving situations. I'd like to at least see that option included. They used to have the option to chose Optimal range, but that was useless too. Seems like it would also help put an end to so many owners panicking every time their car shows less range after a year, two years, three years, etc.

Again, just the option to display that as the range remaining, even when not using navigation would be great and I think much more useful. My 2 cents. My Volt also adjusted over time for battery degradation too. It also showed how many kWh you charged to, which was useful and a clear sign of how much degradation there was after a couple of years. I think mine went from 10.6 to start down to 10.1 by the time I turned it back in.

johncrab | 19 août 2019

@ bottesini - Thanks for that update on your change in range for the better. After the 2019.24.1 pump running bug bit me, I did install the .2 update and two full reboots later the pump stopped and I've been afraid to install anything since out of fear my car would become close to useless. It seems the reduced range issue began back in May and so far that has not bitten me but I'm taking the if it ain't broke, don't fix it approach at this point.

Silver2K | 20 août 2019

The volt software was not accurate as per volt techs when using onstar . I would get transferred to the volt tech to get answers on charging and driving inaccuracies and I was always told the data they provides in not accurate.

Tropopause | 20 août 2019

I wish Tesla had warned me that updating my software would reduce my range so I could have made the decision to choose to forego this preventative safety measure. Then if I were the unlucky guy, like Shanghai, I would be up in arms as to why Tesla didn’t prevent this disaster.

Does anyone really believe Tesla should let idiots choose between safety and risky?

Let the company find a solution and be happy they don’t allow us to endanger ourselves as GM and others do.

Mathew98 | 20 août 2019

Why can't they provide an OTA update so I can release more methane in the air?

If VW could do it, I ought to fiddle with my emission #...

Silver2K | 20 août 2019

I wish they would update the fart app. The existing farts are getting old!

Tropopause | 21 août 2019

Nice! ^^^^^

rxlawdude | 21 août 2019

@Silver's comment stinks.

eggbert747 | 21 août 2019

I noted this morning after overnight charging that I gained 6 rated miles extra on my 2014 85S compared with my normal charge (@60%). I know this could evaporate tomorrow, but at least the RM didn't drop!

Pages