Forums

Range loss while parked

Range loss while parked

I’ve had my MS P100D for a few weeks and love it, but just experienced something that I think is troubling. I took a business trip for a few days and left my car at the airport. I’ve noticed that I’m losing 25 miles per day, while it’s parked! If I went away for a week or 2, I would come back to a car that’s completely drained and I drivable. Is there a trick to reduce drain? How are others handling?

Qwiksilver | 15 août 2019

I had that vampire drain for a while too.
Seems to have gone away. Very frustrating.

Silver2K | 15 août 2019

Outside temp when car is parked?
Cabin overheat protection on?
Connecting constantly to the car keeps it up and drains the battery

Silver2K | 15 août 2019

Where

EVRider | 15 août 2019

I'm guessing you have Sentry Mode turned on. It uses 1-2 miles of range per hour, so you have to plan accordingly.

If you're going away for a couple of weeks, you should find another way to get to/from the airport. For a two week trip, it's almost always cheaper to Uber instead of paying for airport parking, and even if it's not cheaper, you don't have to worry about your car.

TeslaTap.com | 15 août 2019

You can turn off Sentry mode from the app, should you have forgotten while leaving it at the airport. Sentry mode also automatically turns off should the SOC get to 20%, Figure Sentry mode takes about 20-24 miles of range per day. The processor consumes 250-300 W, which also heats up the cabin and may activate the cabin overheat protection feature if enabled. Best to turn off both these features if leaving the car for an extended period.

p.c.mcavoy | 16 août 2019

Some of the most recent software updates appear to have introduced some odd behaviors that can cause increased vampire drain. Before people jump all over me about sentry or cabin overheat, my MS90D is an AP1 vehicle, so sentry is irrelevant and cabin overheat is turned off. I'll see days where I have minimal vampire drain, and then others where I may see 8-10 miles drain. Recently was overseas for about 10 days. Did not check with the app. Data logged via VisibleTesla shows that for about the first 6-7 days had minimal drain, then in last 3-4 days lost about 30+ miles. That was while parked in my covered garage, probably around 80F ambient, car plugged in.

I do believe some of it may relate to recent changes where Tesla appears to be more aggressive/active around battery cooling running, but it's puzzling the inconsistency that I see from day to day in what seem to be almost identical conditions.

Silver2K | 16 août 2019

My car is in for service and I still have access to it. I checked to see what was the progress on my vehicle and showed they had charges it to 225 miles. I checked a few times since monday And noticed this morning that my vehicle is at 216 miles. The weather has been unbearably warm in upstate NY.

Anthony J. Parisio | 16 août 2019

My car is also loosing more range than before update 2019.28.2.

EVRider | 16 août 2019

@p.c.mcavoy: When did you start using VisibleTesla? Just sayin’...

sutherland | 16 août 2019

I had the same problem with my S100 D. The fix was pretty simple. Hard reboot of the system and the problem disappeared.

Silver2K | 16 août 2019

I posted around 6:30 am and I've lost only 1 mile in 6 hrs in very warm weather inside the service center.

Screenshot of app
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AihnWpuO55swiYpCL-_lccsdruivHA?e=TMCntb

Silver2K | 16 août 2019

Screenshot showing the car is not charging
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AihnWpuO55swiYpD01dnhVU0MeITMg?e=ESN3So

Silver2K | 16 août 2019

sutherland | August 16, 2019
I had the same problem with my S100 D. The fix was pretty simple. Hard reboot of the system and the problem disappeared.
------------------

I guess I don't have some of these issues, because I hard boot at least once every 3 days. If I reboot my PC and phone daily, I should reboot my computer on wheels regularly also.

Everyone should get into these habits. You can do a soft reboot while driving.

Silver2K | 16 août 2019
barrykmd | 16 août 2019

Silver, you should change your car's name to Godot.

p.c.mcavoy | 16 août 2019

EVRider | August 16, 2019
@p.c.mcavoy: When did you start using VisibleTesla? Just sayin’...
===========

@EVRider - I started using VisibleTesla in July 2016. I've made reference to that in many posts over the past three years on this site. I am very experienced in how to use it and best configure for minimal vampire drain. It is not the root cause of the change in vampire drain that I've recently been observing as it has been used in a consistent way both before and after these changes.

The factor that correlates nicely with when I observed the shift in vampire drain pattern was updating from 2019.24.4 to 2019.28.2 software release.

Silver2K | 17 août 2019

barrykmd | August 16, 2019
Silver, you should change your car's name to Godot.
------

I would if I needed rivets :)
Car will be done next week :)

Silver2K | 17 août 2019

I have now now a total of six miles in approximately 29 hrs in very warm weather parked in a garage.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AihnWpuO55swiYpHAXsWATEelR3s0g?e=8ACX1h

Silver2K | 17 août 2019

Now/lost

barrykmd | 17 août 2019

Would have been funny if Estimated Completion was listed as "soon."

Silver2K | 17 août 2019

If the date keeps moving, we might as just think of it as soon :)