Forums

Removing HPWC to take to new house

Removing HPWC to take to new house

We're moving to a new house, and I'm wondering about removing our current HPWC in our garage and taking it to install in the new house. Can I just have an electrician come and remove it? Then leave the wires in place with a junction box around it or something in case the new owners have an EV and want to install a charger?

The electrician installed a dedicated 240v 30A circuit with a 6AWG copper wire. I assume people with other types of EVs would also be able to use this setup to install their own charger?

murphyS90D | 21 août 2019

6AWG is good for 50 amps.
Have the electrician change the breaker to 50 amps and install 14-50 (4 wire run) or a 6-50 (3 wire run) receptacle in a standard box. My Leviton 40 amp EVSE came with a 6-50 plug already installed.

redacted | 21 août 2019

Other types of people will be able to use it without you having to install new breakers or whatever. The electrician that removes it will know how to cap it off in the cheapest possible manner.

redacted | 21 août 2019

Other types of people will be able to use it without you having to install new breakers or whatever. The electrician that removes it will know how to cap it off in the cheapest possible manner.

redacted | 21 août 2019

Second comment added in case first didn't carry enough weight.

bp | 22 août 2019

We did this several years ago - moving our HPWC from our old to new house.

Our old house had metal conduit installed on the outside of the wall between the breaker box and HPWC. Since the new owners weren't interested in EV charging, an electrician disconnected the electric wiring from the breaker, and then I removed the HPWC and metal conduit from the wall and patched/repainted the wall.

If the wiring is inside the wall. with HPWCs now $500, I recommend just leaving the HPWC rather than moving it, if possible. If the new owners are interested in future EV charging, changing the breaker to 50A and installing a 14-50 outlet would support that. And if they don't care about future EV charging, then just have the electrician disconnect the wiring at the break panel and put a cover plane on the wall.

When we move again - we'll likely try to leave the HPWCs - and let the new owners worry about them...

tes-s | 22 août 2019

Why not just buy a new HPWC and leave the old one? A new one is $500 - why spend the money to remove it and put something else in its place?

If you do remove it, I suggest simply turning off the breaker and putting an electrical box where the HPWC was.

Also, check with your realtor or lawyer. If the HPWC was not excluded from the listing or contract, it may be included as part of the house. (I am not a realtor or lawyer).

tes-s | 22 août 2019

The HPWC will work with any EV, so it seems silly in this day and age to be paying to remove charging ability that is already there. If I moved into a house that had a HPWC and I had a non-Tesla EV, I'd simply buy an adapter for $250.

rxlawdude | 22 août 2019

"The HPWC will work with any EV,."

Um, pray tell how a J-1772 vehicle uses a Tesla HPWC?

murphyS90D | 22 août 2019
rxlawdude | 22 août 2019

Yes, a non-Tesla approved adapter that costs $250+.

So the statement that it works with any EV is not correct. It should be "The HPWC will work with any EV that has an adapter."

tes-s | 22 août 2019

No adapter required for the EV - just for the HPWC. Then the HPWC can be used to charge any EV that accepts Tesla or J1772 (using the adapter).

barrykmd | 22 août 2019

If I removed it myself (which I have the skills to do), I'd do it. To hire an electrician to do it and replace it with a 14-50 is hardly worth it.

DonS | 29 août 2019

If you want to take the HPWC with you, an electrician can remove it and put a blank cover on the box. Essentially you leave the house "pre-wired" for EV charging, such as is becoming common in many city building codes.

redacted | 29 août 2019

I'd put it "The HPWC, with an adapter, will work with any EV that takes a J1772 connection."

I'd also just buy a new HPWC for the new house.

redacted | 29 août 2019

Actually, I'd buy two.

murraypetera | 30 août 2019

30 min of work.
Close the breaker
Unscrew the Charger.
Put caps on the connectors
Put a $1 cover over the box.
Pull the breaker.

I don’t know about the other posters but I don’t make $1000/hr so well worth it when I moved.

brian | 31 août 2019

Just buy a new one they are not expensive.