Forums

Taycan is $150K-$182K

Taycan is $150K-$182K

The Taycan is clearly not aimed at EV buyers, it's aimed at Ferrari and Lamborghini buyers. It's 3X the price of a Model 3 and 2X the price of a Model S so only people who are looking for an exclusive Veblen good are going to look at it. Another clear indicator that it's target market isn't EV buyers, they put Turbo into the name, its the Porsche Taycan Turbo. What's up with that, why would you put Turbo into the name of an EV?

M3phan | 4 septembre 2019

Yep, a real Tesla Killer all right.

tanya | 4 septembre 2019

EV killer

rdavis | 4 septembre 2019

I would say it competes against the S100P version of Tesla....

carlk | 4 septembre 2019

In traditional Porsche fashion you likely will need to add $20~30K option to the base price too. Porsche thinks it can sell 40,000 of this a year? It'd be extremely lucky to find 4,000 suckers to buy this.

andy.connor.e | 4 septembre 2019

It could be a maximum spec'd Model S killer. But does not compete with Model 3.

thedrisin | 4 septembre 2019

Not a "Tesla killer." Different animal, it will be a status symbol for that demographic.

cascadiadesign | 4 septembre 2019

This is a car for die hard Porsche fans and wealthy top 1% who want exclusivity. Tesla is still the most bang for the buck.

A couple of pluses for Tesla: 1) It further validates for the public that EVs are the future and can be well engineered performance cars. 2) It will help keep Tesla on their toes. Can't wait for Roadster and next generation Tesla models.

Fully spec'd out Model S used to be over $120k. Now its under $100k. Its not that much different. These companies are producing babies right now, i give credit to them for at least building something that is nice. They could have built a tin can and marketed it as more range than Tesla.

And +1 on it will help keep Tesla on their toes.

bpatter123 | 4 septembre 2019

The Taycan configuration page has this option: Porsche Electric Sport Sound enhances the vehicle’s own sound and makes it sound even more emotional - both outside and inside the vehicle. Can be activated/deactivated via Porsche Communication Management (PCM). Would you buy it?

Syed.Hosain | 4 septembre 2019

@bpatter123 "The Taycan configuration page has this option: Porsche Electric Sport Sound enhances the vehicle’s own sound and makes it sound even more emotional - both outside and inside the vehicle. Can be activated/deactivated via Porsche Communication Management (PCM). Would you buy it?"

Are they trying to make it sound like a turbo-charged, air-cooled ICE Porsche engine?

No, I would not want that "option".

Techy James | 4 septembre 2019

Actually based on price, I would just wait till the Tesla Roadster 2.0 came out if I was looking for that kind of vehicle. 183K versus 200K with better Top Speed and sub 2 Sec 0-60, there would be no comparison.

bjrosen | 4 septembre 2019

Unbelievable that they would charge extra for sounds on a car that starts at $150K. There is a low speed sound requirement for warning blind pedestrians, it might already be in effect in the EU and it's about to go into effect in the US so the speaker has to be there.

JAD | 4 septembre 2019

Porsche claims only 2 cars are ever built identical. So with 3-4 free colors, there will be less than ten taycans you can buy for $150,900, the rest will cost more, much more in most cases.

mrburke | 4 septembre 2019

I will start by saying that the Porsche Taycan is a beautiful car. It would look very nice in my driveway, and would most likely be very fun to drive.

But $150,900 + mandatory options. Sorry, but that is way out of my league.

Bighorn | 4 septembre 2019

The video review on Top Gear with the blue one, I thought it looked quite similar to a Model 3. Not sure why it needs all the smoke and mirrors--"Turbo" badging, fake car noises and big brake air scoops.

ALDONY | 4 septembre 2019

Porsche is CANNIBALIZING its own brand. Only porsche buyers would buy this,

Way overpriced for the same technology power of 2013 models.

I am glad that porsche will convert these people to buy electric though

Passion2Fly | 4 septembre 2019

I just configured my Turbo. With a few nice options, my MSRP is $173,000.

Now, I don't know which AP features to pick:

- Porsche InnoDrive
- Porsche InnoDrive including adaptive cruise control
- Lane Change Assist with Turn Assist
- Lane Keep Assist including traffic sign recognition and cornering notification

These futures are not that expensive. About $3,000 each...

Passion2Fly | 4 septembre 2019

Oh,... the performance package is cool! For $5,400 you get the "Porsche Electric Sport Sound"! The car makes vroom... vroom...

howard | 4 septembre 2019

Just like the Model 3 the first offerings will be the top of the line. Probably not need to come down much for a year or so. That's when I will be looking.

Jtwo | 4 septembre 2019

Adding Turbo to the name is flat out stupid.

Nice effort but it ain't no Tesla killer.

but they said

spuzzz123 | 4 septembre 2019

Howard you better not wait around in misery with your lemon. You obviously pay top money for everything so don’t go cheap on us now.

Howard you better not wait around in misery with your lemon. You obviously pay top money for everything so don’t go cheap on us now.

lbowroom | 4 septembre 2019

Howard, what features do you think they will sacrifice for a lower priced variant in a year or so?

agkulcz | 4 septembre 2019

Out of curiosity I went to the Porsche website and went through a configuration. Starting with Turbo S I added bunch of pricey options and got it to a price just over $230K - wow....

spuzzz123 | September 4, 2019

Learned my lesson with the P3D+ but I really appreciate the double reminder. You know me all too well.

No Howard you can’t apply your Tesla misery experience to Porsche. It’s a real car company like Rivian. Leap before you look (you only get one reminder this time).

TexasBob | 4 septembre 2019

It is really disappointing to see.

Model S Performance 100KWH battery, 0-60 2.4 seconds, range 367 (WLTP), price 99,990 - 114,990
Taycan S Turbo 100kwh battery, 0-60 2.6 seconds, Range 258 (WLTP), price 185,000 - 241,000

Why can't the Germans make efficient EVs?

coleAK | 4 septembre 2019

Looks like most of you have never shopped a Porsche. Porsche has always been know for endless options including custom: sport exhaust sounds, lap timers, $40k breaks, custom colors (paint, stitching, leather,...). Very few people will cross shop the Porsche and model 3, the VW/Audi name badges will compete more with Tesla. On practicality the model 3 will win on almost every level but the Porsche will be a Porsche and a one of a kind luxury item just like: 6 figure Swiss watches, Mont-Blanc pens, William Henry pocket knives, ...

There was I guy I worked with about 10 years ago that doubled the price of his 911 with options, had the leather matched to an old baseball glove, all the stitching matched the exterior color. It was one of a kind and beautiful.

cmh95628 | 4 septembre 2019

If I paid for the turbo, I would make them show me the turbo!

coselectric | 4 septembre 2019

I'm really disappointed by the price. Not that I was in the market for one, but this does nothing to help the image of EVs as practical vehicles. I see a fair number of Macans around town, but I doubt I'll see too many Taycans if it costs nearly 200 G's to acquire one after options, taxes and registration. Geez, imagine how much it must cost to insure one of these suckers.

All of these anti-Tesla put-downs about Tesla killers arriving any day from the "real" automakers are a complete joke.

beaver | 4 septembre 2019

@TexasBob
Because Tesla has been making EVs since 2009 and Porsche started in 2014. 5 years makes a big difference. I think Porsche will catch up on tech within 3 years but charging infra and software design is much harder to match

JAD | 4 septembre 2019

I think Porsche might catch up in about 3 years, so as long as Tesla stays put, they will be close. Who thinks Tesla will offer no improvement to their cars for three years?

I’m sure the lane keeping is top notch...

ReD eXiLe ms us | 4 septembre 2019

beaver: ???

The Tesla Roadster was Delivered to its first Customer in 2008. It had been in development since 2003. A five year period from ZERO to fruition. The Porsche Mission·e Concept was first shown five years ago, Porsche was founded in 1931, even with a second motor and a Compact body size with a 96 kWh useable battery pack capacity, the Taycan can't match the range of the 2012 Tesla Model S and will struggle to surpass the range of the original Tesla Roadster. I think it will take a bit longer for Porsche to 'catch up' if only because Tesla has not stood still since 2014, 2012, or 2008 and certainly won't hold still until 3 years from now.

JAD | September 4, 2019
I think Porsche might catch up in about 3 years, so as long as Tesla stays put, they will be close. Who thinks Tesla will offer no improvement to their cars for three years?

I have owned mine for a year and no real driving improvements. Sure more games, dog mode, romance mode etc....

JAD | 4 septembre 2019

Really? You didn't get the range boost, or hp boost or nav on ap or key to profile or ap showing the cars next to you or several other things I have gotten the last year? You need to take your car to service, you have missed a lot of improvements. Track mode is especially fun as it makes it faster than any Porsche at an ax. It will also best the $200k taycans turbo S.

100% negative on Tesla, 100% positive on everything else. Sounds fair...

mrburke | 4 septembre 2019

@ALDONY-"Porsche is CANNIBALIZING its own brand. Only porsche buyers would buy this."

This is what we (The EV community) and Tesla want. When ICE companies release new EV they should steal market share not from other EVs, but from legacy ICE cars. So if Porsche buyers decide they want a Taycan instead of a 911, this is a BIG win for EVs.

RedShift | 4 septembre 2019

@howard

Don’t be an ass. You are purposely ignoring the improvements Tesla made and just plain dissembling now.

ReD eXiLe ms us | 4 septembre 2019

mrburke offered, "So if Porsche buyers decide they want a Taycan instead of a 911, this is a BIG win for EVs."

Indeed. Agreed.

RedShift: Aye dund t'ink he kin help it. He's apparently spent six of seven decades cultivating the disposition.

coleAK | 4 septembre 2019

@mburke, exactly! One less 911 one more EV.

@JAD. M3P, faster than any Porsche stoplight to stoplight? Probably. Faster than a GT2 in a 1/4 mile, no. Faster than any Porsche sports car in a NHRA 1/4 mile, no. Faster than a GT2, GT3, GT4 in a sprint or endurance road race on a track, no way.

beaver | 4 septembre 2019

@ReD eXiLe ms us
good point 11 year head start. Interestingly it took both Tesla and Porsche 5 years to bring their first EV to market.

I am sure Tesla will forge ahead and keep innovating, I just hope it’s as fast as it’s been historically. I am worried about all the exec departures over the last two years.

dalesmith1962 | 5 septembre 2019

@cascadiadesign
“This is a car for die hard Porsche fans and wealthy top 1% who want exclusivity. Tesla is still the most bang for the buck.”

——————

Here is a comment from a diehard Porsche fan on their forum after the reveal.

“Your post is exactly correct, Porsche die hards (myself included) have to admit a vegan company is producing a superior product in a tent. At least we can take solace in the fact that America is #1 in cars again.

For some reason; seeing all these other manufacturers fail and watching videos of their Roaster has improved my overall feelings towards Tesla. I actually hope they don't fail anymore even though that still wouldn't surprise me.”

LOL LOL LOL

AWDTesla | 5 septembre 2019

The M3P beat its lap time at the ring yet?

Call me when it does.

dalesmith1962 | 5 septembre 2019

At ½ the cost why would you expect the M3P to beat it?

calvin940 | 5 septembre 2019

RedShift | September 4, 2019

@howard

Don’t be an ass. You are purposely ignoring the improvements Tesla made and just plain dissembling now.
---------------------
When one had no substance, being an ass is all that is left.

@sale, because the fanbois here are posting it would beat it.

ALDONY | 5 septembre 2019

Lmao, you guys really need to get behind the wheel of a pcar to appreciate the engineering that goes into making those cars turn the way they do. Tesla should also.

Pages