Forums

Summon error: "Waiting for improved phone location accuracy"

Summon error: "Waiting for improved phone location accuracy"

I get this error when I try to use Summon after updating the car to 32.10.1.

I have Android app version 3.10 installed.

Tried rebooting the phone, uninstalling the app and downloading/reinstalling. Checked location accuracy, on high accuracy.

Anyone seen this before? Solution?

JAD | 27 septembre 2019

I got that as well, but then the phone was located and it worked

wiboater4 | 27 septembre 2019

I got it but I was inside a building. I just tried it to see what would happen.

Daryl | 27 septembre 2019

The error finally went away and I was able to test Smart Summon.

jasonsalus | 27 septembre 2019

I have received an error as well, mine says trouble reading camera data. I've tried resetting the tesla computer, resetting my phone and updating the tesla app with no luck. Not sure what to do. :-(

Allenh | 27 septembre 2019

Same message. Tried rebooting phone, tested phone (Galaxy S9) proximity sensor, ensured all location settings were on.
Other message I get is "Summon was cancelled because the proximity sensor or your phone was covered"
Even standing right next to the car, Summons won't work.

Allenh | 27 septembre 2019

Same message. Tried rebooting phone, tested phone (Galaxy S9) proximity sensor, ensured all location settings were on.
Other message I get is "Summon was cancelled because the proximity sensor or your phone was covered"
Even standing right next to the car, Summons won't work.

jonathan.c.hayward | 28 septembre 2019

Daryl - did you take any steps that led to the error going away?

Doer | 28 septembre 2019

Same error here, using Pixel 3a. Had to wait a while for window vent button to appear, so maybe this will fix itself too.

Daryl | 28 septembre 2019

I'm the OP.
The error went away briefly yesterday, but it came back today, and I can't get rid of it. I tried my wife's phone and Summon worked fine, so it's not a problem with the car.

Tesla2018 | 28 septembre 2019

I get that ever once in a while too. I noticed that when Im at work, I am connected to the company's website server which is in a different state since if I do a google search on my computer it thinks im someplace else. But when I go outside I am using the mobile data on my phone. Also when I log into the Tesla app on my phone, it sometimes takes a minute to update my data and location. It sometimes thinks Im still at home and then updates to where I am for work or lunch.
Sound like it might be a setting or location or proximity setting on the phone, or it needs to update the location on the app.

JAD | 28 septembre 2019

@tesla2018, that could be it as my car was in the garage so my phone and or the car could have been on the Wi-Fi which might have messed up the sensor. Plan on going to a parking lot this afternoon to test the car and my 15-year-old son! ;) Which will do better?

My wife and I both have AT&T at our house with excellent service. For whatever reason, smart summon will work on her phone but not mine (a Samsung Galaxy S8 Active).

To test and/or eliminate a variable - for those in the forum chat - are you having this trouble and do you use an iPhone or Android phone?

JAD | 28 septembre 2019

I just tested in an open parking lot and still got the same error on my Pixel 3XL running Android 10 but it worked perfectly on my wife's pixel 2XL running Android 10.

I found a work-around that has worked for me the several times I have tried it.

When I get that "Waiting for ..." message on the "Summon" screen on the phone, I exit that screen and click on the "Location" tab (still on the Tesla app). I wait for the map to show on the screen with both my position as a blue dot, and the car as a red arrow. I then return to the Summon screen, and it works OK.

Hope this works for others too.

Your work around just worked for me! I also just starting getting an update for version 2019.32.11. I've never had two updates in two days before, so maybe this is a fix? (Fingers crossed)...

I just installed 32.11, and it didn't fix the problem. But the work-around still works.

I suspect the problem is in the phone app, rather than the car firmware. It started for me after I installed 3.10 on my phone. Coincidence that it happened on the same day my car updated to Version 10? Maybe, maybe not.

Doer | 28 septembre 2019

I am downloading v11 now. There must have been issues with 10.

Michael Emrich | 2 octobre 2019

I still have this problem with "phone waiting for improved accuracy". I'm on FW Rev. 10, Version 2019.32.11 and my phone app is 3.10.0.

I tried going to "Location" and back to Summon, but no change.

Still on Android 9. My phone is a Huawei Mate 20 Pro with EMUI 9.1.0.

Any solutions out there?

Thanks.

JAD | 2 octobre 2019

Going to location, then using smart summon from the summon screen and having to car go to target has worked. Come to me only works on my wifes phone, so it is a compatibility issue that needs to be fixed.

clark.fan | 5 octobre 2019

The message "Phone waiting for improved accuracy" persisted on my Samsung phone after my Model 3 after V10 firmware updated. However Summon works fine all the time on my wife iPhone.

I think the problem is on the Tesla App (on Android), not the firmware of the car.

kevin_rf | 5 octobre 2019

Works fine on a Google Pixel 1. So it's not the Android app... Maybe a combination of the phone and your location.

Tronguy | 5 octobre 2019

FWIW: The SO and I were trying out advanced summon in an empty parking lot. Worked OK with my S8; then the SO tried it with her S8. The phone couldn't even connect to the car!
We tried logging out of the Tesla app, then logging back in. Suddenly, everything was working, including advanced summon.
Note: She had been unlocking the car with the phone, but the phone hadn't been able to connect with the car over the past week or so. So, other, screwier things were going on in that interval as well.

pinballfanga | 5 octobre 2019

I have a different issue: There is no "summon" feature on my autopilot screen, so I have been unable to enable it. I took delivery on 9/29 and had the v9 software, but was just updated to v10 yesterday. Does anyone know the fix for this?

Magic 8 Ball | 5 octobre 2019

@pinball Did you buy AP/FSD? Also the summon feature is in the ap on the phone.

@Magic - I think so. I bought my M3 LR on 9/29. The car was originally configured with FSD, but I asked them to take it off so that I didn’t have to pay the $6000. I assumed it came with enhanced autopilot. Is that not the case?

Newer cars, such as yours, do not have EAP. You have to buy the FSD package to get summons. They changed terminology so it is a bit confusing to some.

@Magic - thank you for the clarification. That is confusing, but at least now I don’t need to schedule a service appointment to figure it out.

You are welcome, you made me realize that advanced summon is a good tease to get people to buy FSD. I look forward to seeing Tesla bank more revenue out of this (no wonder there are so many FUD stories going on about advanced summon).

JAD | 7 octobre 2019

It does seem to be a work around of phone location to go to the location section, then back to summon, then choose smart summon, then move the target to where you want the car to go. Has worked every time but it is much easier on my wife's phone with the come to me button. Strange Pixel 3 doesn't work, Pixel 2 does.

VAXHeadroom | 13 octobre 2019

SR Model 3, Partial interior, FSD, Pixel 3, have all updates in the car and the phone, have checked location and both show up within feet of actual location, but the app doesn't even look like the smart summon is there at all, the older forward/reverse buttons still show up (but are grayed out), but I get the 'accuracy' error message and no functional summon at all now (even the non-smart summon).