Forums

1st cold weather trip in SR+

1st cold weather trip in SR+

Holy mother of cold weather range reduction...

I’m at the 1st charge stop. Prior to leaving I charged the battery up before heading out and charged to 97% and headed out.

Temps are mid 30’s and 1st stop is 90 miles of driving. Just arrived with 42% battery left.

That’s a 55% usage for 90 miles of driving. Kept the speed at 70 mph almost the entire way.

This leg of the trip does have a small’ish mountain and it is cold but 55% for 90 miles? Cabin temp set to 65 so I don’t think the heater is causing any extra drain.

5 charge stations here, one down but only one other M3 here charging so all good there.

I’ll update at my next stop which is about 110 miles but flatter...

raqball | 28 novembre 2019

Thanks to V10, watching Netflix while I charge = winning! :)

M3phan | 28 novembre 2019

Reality!

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | 28 novembre 2019

Did you mom drive you?

hokiegir1 | 28 novembre 2019

The heater is a factor, even set at 65. Try turning that off and using seat warmers and you'll see an improvement.

WhiteWi | November 28, 2019
Did you mom drive you?
——————-
No she passed away a few years ago.

M3phan | November 28, 2019
Reality!
——————-
I guess it’s not bad considering the temps and the small’ish mountain but since this is my 1st cold weather trip I am interested in seeing how range is effected..

hokiegir1 | November 28, 2019
The heater is a factor, even set at 65. Try turning that off and using seat warmers and you'll see an improvement.
—————————
Awesome and thanks. I’ll try that on the next leg of the trip.

@raqball, Sorry to hear that.

Maybe now you see that Mom jokes are not that great.

WhiteWi | November 28, 2019
Maybe now you see that Mom jokes are not that great.
————-
I consider the source. You act 11 so whatever you say does not phase me.

Grow up and move on...

Ok Boomer

M3phan | 28 novembre 2019

Even my LR takes a hit in winter. All good, a robust SC network makes it work.
Netflix: thankful. ; )

FISHEV | 28 novembre 2019

"The heater is a factor, even set at 65. Try turning that off and using seat warmers and you'll see an improvement."@hokiegirl1

So to make a Tesla work you have to drive with the heat off? No.

Drive it like regular car and be comfortable. The 170 between SC's and the 180 cold weather range should work out. Watch the Energy graph for the actual range so you don't get stuck.

You should have borrowed my Chademo so you'd have some options.

Talking to some peeps in a M3 traveling from Canada..

I guess I am not far from Canada but another reason why I don’t mind stopping to charge. Always meet cool people to chat with...

They left, back to Netflix over the free LTE, thanks Elon!

FISHEV | November 28, 2019
You should have borrowed my Chademo so you'd have some options.
——————
Thanks for the offer but I am fine. Tesla has done a good job of having Superchargers everywhere.

Only 90 miles to this one and only 110 to the next. Not worried about running out of juice, just interested in how the cold effects range as this is my 1st trip in the cold.

I don’t think running the heater and using more battery to do so is a Tesla only issue though. I assume ALL EV’s will have the same problem..

M3phan | November 28, 2019
Even my LR takes a hit in winter. All good, a robust SC network makes it work.
Netflix: thankful. ; )
—————-
Yeah I am not stressing out at all just interested in how the weather effects range. This is my 1st real world experience. Superchargers are plenty, no worries.

"I don’t think running the heater and using more battery to do so is a Tesla only issue though."

The speed has a big effect. Going over 60 impacts range a lot.

Out bound.. I’ll try the seat heater top from @hokiegir1 and update at my next stop..

Happy Thanksgiving all! :)

wiscy67 | 28 novembre 2019

Tire pressure affects range as well. I keep my SR+ 19" at 45-46 PSI.

wiscy67 | November 28, 2019
Tire pressure affects range as well. I keep my SR+ 19" at 45-46 PSI.
—————-
Just checked mine and they are 42. Maybe I’ll air up later. Thanks!

Bighorn | 28 novembre 2019

I hope you’ve learned that some posters make you dumber rather than more informed. Ignore and move on even if you’ve met irl.
Just post Wh/m as 55% does not impart much meaning unless other data is known. Going over 60 is not a problem. Paying 99 cents per kWh at a fantasy DC charger would be.

Bighorn | November 28, 2019
Just post Wh/m as 55% does not impart much meaning unless other data is known. Going over 60 is not a problem.
————————
At the next stop... I charged to 97% at the previous stop and arrived here with 15% left. Total distance 130 miles I used 82% of the battery.

Temps still mid 30’s. I stayed at 70 MPH the whole way. Wh/mi is 309..

jefjes | 28 novembre 2019

^^^^

Netflix time again... :)

spuzzz123 | 28 novembre 2019

Still not sure raqball<>fish. His posts are always perfect opportunities for fish to interject his agenda

spuzzz123 | 28 novembre 2019

*interject=inject

Iwantmy3 | 28 novembre 2019

These consumption numbers seem a little high but are certainly possible with a bit of a headwind. I see no reason to questions them.

hokiegir1 | 28 novembre 2019

It's exactly in line with the 30% reduction most of us reported last year.

Bighorn | 28 novembre 2019

309 Wh/m isn’t bad. I was 400 coming across South Dakota in my S, still significantly more above baseline. People with P3Ds on 20s average 300 in good weather. All that really matters is you have enough in the tank to get to the next charger. Arriving with 15% is perfect.

hokiegir1 | November 28, 2019
It's exactly in line with the 30% reduction most of us reported last year.
—————-
Good to know, thanks. I am not all that worried about it’s I made each Supercharger just fine. Don’t mind charging as I can get caught up on Netflix shows or YouTube subscriptions.

Bighorn | November 28, 2019
309 Wh/m isn’t bad. I was 400 coming across South Dakota in my S, still significantly more above baseline. People with P3Ds on 20s average 300 in good weather. All that really matters is you have enough in the tank to get to the next charger. Arriving with 15% is perfect.
———————
Thanks... I was in the 340 Wh/mi for a while then it dropped to the 308 By arrival. I don’t have a led foot and pretty much just keep to the speed limit.

Will be interesting to see how these #’s match up on my return trip laster tonight.

R.I.P Kobe | 28 novembre 2019

You had me until you said cold and mid 30’s.

PteRoy | November 28, 2019
You had me until you said cold and mid 30’s.
——————
True. Mid 30’s might be a heat wave to some of you up North East...

Mike UpNorth_ | 28 novembre 2019

Last winter, freezing cold, if I really tried (drove like a mad man + heat blasting) I was a to achieve a 40+% knock on efficiency. Looking forward to doing it again this winter :)

Good times....

"At the next stop... I charged to 97% at the previous stop and arrived here with 15% left"@raqbll

Be cool to see the log on the charging stops. Give you something to do tomorrow.

How long was your average charge time charging to 90%+?

FISHEV | November 28, 2019
"At the next stop... I charged to 97% at the previous stop and arrived here with 15% left"@raqbll

Be cool to see the log on the charging stops. Give you something to do tomorrow.

How long was your average charge time charging to 90%+?
————
What stats do you want to see? Not familiar with getting info from logs, how do I do that?

Return trip leg one in the books.

Same 130 miles, same constant 70 mph and this leg used 83%. Temps still in the 30’s. Wh/mi came in at 302

I am going to say the range is at least very consistent when all things are similar....

Tuning In | 28 novembre 2019

Is that without a car full of passengers and their luggage? I’ve seen about a 10% additional consumption over just me alone, with the added weight.

ODWms | 29 novembre 2019

In my PD3+, I’ve achieved 230s-240s traveling at 60 mph, 20” wheels and all.

billtphotoman | 29 novembre 2019

The effects of the heater on range are well hashed over in this thread. Touching on speed a bit more wind drag (the dominant form of drag at highway speeds) goes up with the square of speed so the difference between 60 MPH and 70 MPH is yuuuggge. Also, at cold temperatures the air is denser which exacerbates the effect of air drag. Finally head winds and cross winds make a bug difference. The bottom line is I like to calculate the Wh/mi I need to make to a destination and then watch the energy graph. If I am trending above target I will slow down. Of course if you are traversing stretches of road with SCs every 100 miles no worries but I travel roads with 180-240 mile gaps.

Bighorn | 29 novembre 2019

Several components make up for the ultimate efficiency of any particular speed. Drag is just one component that gains more impact as speeds get higher, because the other components are fairly fixed with regard to speed such as rolling resistance and mechanical friction. When large fixed draws like climate and battery heat are involved, speed has the opposite effect, shortening the time that 6 or 12 kW is being drawn to warm the cabin or battery. Basic point is that it’s a complex series of cumulative energy sinks, not just drag, and my experience suggests that speed doesn’t become that critical, especially with heat blowing, until 65 or 70 mph.

Tuning In | 29 novembre 2019

Crosswinds and air density makes a big difference if you’re an commercial jet flying at 500 mph, but unless we’re taking about hurricane force winds, it’s insignificant on a car traveling at highway speeds.

neilhamrin | 29 novembre 2019

Bighorn
As I leave MN and head for CA in 3 days, I especially appreciate your careful and thoughtful comments. I know you to be insightful and knowledgeable and I thank you. We have the same P3D- and my S and 3 experiences are constant.

neilhamrin | 29 novembre 2019

consistent

@Tuning in
If you’re already driving 80 mph and have efficiencies in the high 300s or low 400s, adding a 20 mph headwind gives you an effective drag speed of 100 mph and you will see a significant efficiency hit because not only are you overcoming the drag, you’re not reducing your fixed draws as you would be if you were actually driving 100 mph. Definite the conditions that put people on the flat bed of shame. I’m always aware of the wind situation because it can be a range killer.

raqball | 29 novembre 2019

Tuning In | November 28, 2019
Is that without a car full of passengers and their luggage? I’ve seen about a 10% additional consumption over just me alone, with the added weight.
----------------------
Yes just me with no added weight... It was a 1 day round trip as my sone had to work later last night..

Some final numbers for my trip...

Total disstance 500'ish miles
Average temps mid 30's

Total kw consumed (this is a guess as I charged some at my sons and charged last night at home)
Stop 1: 32 kWh @ $0.27/kWh $8.64
Stop 2: 38 kWh @ $0.27/kWh $10.26
Unknown kw as I charged at sons house
Stop 3: 39 kWh @ $0.27/kWh $10.53
Unknown final as I charged at home

I assume Wh/mi for the total trip was in the 305 range. Not bad all things considered. I used up about $29 worth of Supercharger juice then say maybe a few more $$ at his house and a few $$ back home. Get crazy and say $40 for the whole trip that was 500 miles total.

The Superchargers I stopped at were fast and even charging from 15% to 97% went fast.

I'l make the same trip on Christmas and it will be a same one day turn a round as he has to work that night. It won't be a good comparison as unless the temps are similar but I'll keep track to compare them anyways..

Nice. You would have needed a bank loan to pay for EA charging.

Bighorn | November 29, 2019
Nice. You would have needed a bank loan to pay for EA charging.
---------------
@ .99 cents a minute, no doubt..

Especially when you get less than 1 kWh per minute. #highwayrobbery.

3500HDP3D | 29 novembre 2019

I called EA to inquire about why they were so proud of their pricing. Basically they said take it or leave it, but were interested in my feedback. The word needs to get out about their highway robbery

Pages