Forums

How many people are going to switch to Tri Motor CT now that the wait isn’t so long?

How many people are going to switch to Tri Motor CT now that the wait isn’t so long?

I think the updated orders are going to be very significant. May also give hope for Plaid elsewhere with earlier vetting of three motors.
https://mobile.twitter.com/tesla4k/status/1202965633387810816

raqball | 6 décembre 2019

I sent that link to my son and he said he is going to stay dual.. Part of the reason is he just bought a house so $$$ wise, a smart move on his part.... He want the tri but is going to stick with the dual....

lbowroom | 6 décembre 2019

i don’t need to switch.... I already did

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi | 6 décembre 2019

Not switching

andy.connor.e | 6 décembre 2019

Would love it but not sure that i would be able to afford it.

lilbean | 6 décembre 2019

Yeah baby!! I already had a tri motor reservation but I’m so glad Tesla is releasing that first, just like I had hoped and expected!

raqball | 6 décembre 2019

andy.connor.e | December 6, 2019
Would love it but not sure that i would be able to afford it.
------------------------
What my son said as well...... I have no doubt he'd rather have the tri but those pesky payments would get in the way...

andy.connor.e | 6 décembre 2019

I've wanted a Tesla for years but more important things get in the way.

coleAK | 6 décembre 2019

Reserved a tri from the get go. Need the increased range and towing capacity

spuzzz123 | 6 décembre 2019

Makes all kinds of sense. Was shocked to see the cheapest version available before the premium. Think how different the makeup of 3s would be if the SR version was available a year before the LR version.

cquail | 7 décembre 2019

I have not pre-ordered yet, but am considering the tri-motor now that production date has moved up.

Some outstanding questions I have:

Will CCS charging be an option?
Will towing package be standard?

Like the bed cover, but what happens with snow or ice on top? Not work with ice? Must clean off snow first?

Devilstower | 7 décembre 2019

thinking on it. If I do, I’ll probably drop my Model Y reservation. Since I don’t think I can actually afford both.

Mike83 | 7 décembre 2019

I'll have to ask my wife. If she says OK then it might be a go. But I want the Solar option, camping option and maybe a not a flamethrower. We already have electric bikes and will need a mounting system to secure the bikes in the Cybertruck bed.. Nice decisions to make.

hokiegir1 | 7 décembre 2019

+1 @spuzz - I was surprised when the tri- wasn't the first one listed based on past production schedules.

@mike - We have a hitch mounted tray rack for our electric bikes that we use with a Stealth Hitch on the Model 3. I'm sure you could do the same on the Cybertruck.

Bighorn | 7 décembre 2019

My thought was that the tri motor tech wasn’t fully fleshed out yet and now they’re prioritizing vetting it early. Plaid testing at Nurburgring seems to have accelerated the process as they’re talking about a production spec Plaid S mule by March now. For those trying to sell it to a dubious spouse, you don’t need push the performance specs when the range increases from 300 to 500 miles. Pragmatically, you’ll need that range if towing is in the offing. Still undecided since a lot depends on the retirement accounts at this point.

WantMY | 7 décembre 2019

Nope, dual is just right. Besides, both dual and 3-motor are scheduled to start first, so stop spinning fake news about "only 3-motor would start first", both are.

Dumbass. Nobody said tri was coming before dual, just that it’s not south an extreme delayed gratification. They just swapped single and tri motor production schedules. . No wonder you can’t get a job that pays. Attention to detail matters. Those quotation marks don’t mean what you think they mean.

South/such

Maxxer | 7 décembre 2019

I will

Mike83 | 7 décembre 2019

@hokiegir1 A hitch might be a good idea as saving space in the bed is useful.
@BH Good points.
BTW anyone recall when the MX came out someone hitched up a trailer with Powerwalls and Solar for camping and traveling? I think it was in Australia.
A specially designed Cybertruck trailer with Solar and Powerwalls would make a great travel system. One could sell/rent your home and travel anywhere driving for free. Some retirees do that with RV's or 5th wheels and getting single digit mpg; ouch.

Fuzzball | 7 décembre 2019

@ WantMY - time will tell. Best if you keep the sharpness of your thinking from showing in your response.

Personally, i am starting to doubt if the Y will offer appropriate 3rd row and if so Cyber may be better option. But for a City Dweller, its too much of a beast in size. Ideally, Tri with a cyber based SUV would be perfect....but who knows when that arrives

@Fuzz
I suspect the “third row” in the Y will be very tight. Heck, people feel cramped in the Model X third row. CT looked pretty spacious, but that’s essentially a 5 seater unless you give up the console and I imagine that’ll be a kluge of a folding seat.

WantMY | 7 décembre 2019

Nobody of normal weight/height would feel crammed in X 3rd raw, except may be fatso like you.

SamO | 7 décembre 2019

Lol. Bighorn is a runner who is as lean as a greyhound.

Back to the OP...I have a reservation for a dual motor and am sorely tempted to make the switch but for the $20k increase in price. I have a bit of time to consider but would relish the additional range if I’m towing a trailer or tiny house.

Have to weigh the cost benefit as we get closer.

WantMY | 7 décembre 2019

Yes, 3-motor is tempting a little, but when you add up all the options not yet priced in like solar and etc. Dual makes more sense to me. On 3-motor it would be an overkill with 500 miles range already, I would never need it, as some mentioned, you need some rest while driving long distance. 3-motor would be desirable for folks who really wants plaid, but could not afford it in S or Roadster, or pulling heavy trailers all day long.

WantMY | 7 décembre 2019

Yes, 3-motor is tempting a little, but when you add up all the options not yet priced in like solar and etc. Dual makes more sense to me. On 3-motor it would be an overkill with 500 miles range already, I would never need it, as some mentioned, you need some rest while driving long distance. 3-motor would be desirable for folks who really wants plaid, but could not afford it in S or Roadster, or pulling heavy trailers all day long.

jebinc | 7 décembre 2019

Sticking with my DM AWD for now. No need to rush the decision process as you can always change (without losing your place in line - RN# wise) when invited to firm up the configuration in 2021.

Thanks SamO for pointing out the ridiculous. I only base it on something I read yesterday from someone who is trading in their X for an S. I've driven an X, but don't recall ever trudging to the back.

jojim | December 6, 2019
We found that when we did try to transport people in the MX, they consistently bitched about sitting in the third row. Most just insisted on taking a separate vehicle, rather than suffer the tight space in the back. We have really enjoyed our MS, and just didn’t feel we enjoyed the MX enough to keep it.
from
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/‘downsizing’-new-ms

PECo CT | 7 décembre 2019

This production schedule makes more sense.

Mike83 | 7 décembre 2019

I found it, This from two years ago. Take your home along for the ride. Cybertruck might be more useful.

https://www.treehugger.com/tiny-houses/tesla-tiny-house-powerwall.html

cquail | 7 décembre 2019

We have the need to travel across 136 in Missouri where there is no charging. 500 mile range would solve that problem. Some one needs to put charging along Chicago-to-Kansas City (CKC110).

AWDTesla | 8 décembre 2019

They need to release towing stats asap. I'm not ordering anything until I know it doesnt loose 2/3rds of its charge towing a load.

AWDTesla | 8 décembre 2019

They need to release towing stats asap. I'm not ordering anything until I know it doesnt loose 2/3rds of its charge towing a load.

TickTock | 8 décembre 2019

That depends on the load. A giant rectangular toy hauler without any mods to reduce drag very likely will reduce range by 2/3rds. However, I think solutions will exist that can bring it down to 1/2 or better - both home brew and after-market. There will be sufficient demand to extend towing range that many of us will be working on it.

gparrot | 8 décembre 2019

AWD: with you all the way! A 27’ Airstream is supposed to be "aerodynamic" compared to some shoe box type trailer but the fact is if I want to travel 800km in a day, I’ll probably have to unhook, charge and reconnect the rig at least once, perhaps twice during that travel day.
The upside of a CT is that it can recharge at any campground with a 50A electric power plug. And I won’t care one iota if it takes two to three days to recharge, I can remain there for a week at a time. :-)

Oh, and BTW, it’s still butt-ugly today, and I’m still not warming up to its design. But the specs may be enough to pull me from a RAM in due time, when they become available to the public.

bruryan | 8 décembre 2019

ticktok
going to be tough sledding, long haul truckers have been beating that horse for some time with a lot more at stake.
And calling airstream trailer aerodynamic is like asking for a skim mike latte with whipped cream.

bruryan: LOL!

jebinc | 8 décembre 2019

How many of you are happy (or not) with the new news, that came via EM tweet, that the CT may be shorted by ~6" and narrowed by ~1" - and that without affecting; Utility (Vault volume/length and Frunk capacity), Esthetics (Look), and as of this morning, no reduction to interior space/volume? Do you really believe these dieting reductions won't effect one or more of these key areas? Lastly, has Tesla released any interior size/volume numbers yet? If not, it makes more sense why EM today would interior space will also be unaffected (no check on that). While I will retain my CT order, I was disappointed with the CT diet plan announced yesterday. Not really interested in a Mid-size truck, but rather a Full size one.

Smhach | 8 décembre 2019

tri is too rich for me

rob | 8 décembre 2019

@jebinc
I haven't head that but it is great news for me. If it is shortened it may actually fit in my garage.

jebinc | 8 décembre 2019

-@rob

Yes, there are EM tweets out yesterday and this morning. They are posted and being talked about on TMC and CTUF.

Bighorn | 8 décembre 2019

He was responding to a lot of concern voiced over small garages. Most pick ups live outside or in the barn.

Mike83 | 8 décembre 2019

Some people I know have large garages for boats, Rvs, etc. but for the Cybertruck a garage isn't needed and Sentry mode can be on. With Solar panels it can be charging during the day. I am getting excited to configure my new Tesla Cybertruck.

Bighorn, you mentioned some time ago that you were thinking of changing your one-ton truck for a CT. Are all systems go with that decision and a CT?

rob | 8 décembre 2019

I'm concerned it would attract too much attention if it were parked in my driveway.

WantMY | 8 décembre 2019

Ordering with solar option implies outside parking, my driveway is pointing North, so it makes it perfect for CT parked on it with front pointing North and perfectly angled bed pointing South, no any trees obstruction. I could not ask for anything better than that, same at work.

Bighorn | 8 décembre 2019

@gparrot
I think I mentioned trading the one ton on a Model X, but I’d definitely consider the CT. Don’t know if I want to wait that long, though. And buying one Tesla often will put off the capacity to buy another one unless TSLA really takes off.