Forums

Porsche Taycan Turbo gets EPA range of 201 miles per charge

Porsche Taycan Turbo gets EPA range of 201 miles per charge

In terms of range, Porsche talks the talk only. Numerous sources quoting EPA range on Taycan as 201 miles. Less than Bolt, Leaf, E-Tron, I-Pace and, of course, Models 3, X and S. https://www.teslarati.com/porsche-taycan-turbo-range-epa-201-miles/

mrburke | 11 décembre 2019

OUCH ! - I really wanted to like that car.

jimglas | 11 décembre 2019

Tezlakiller for sure
Tesla should just give up now

WW_spb | 11 décembre 2019

Where is Fish when he needed ))

WEST TEX EV | 11 décembre 2019

NOICE!

AWDTesla | 11 décembre 2019

I still want to drive one, especially after Matt's test drive video. Giggles like a girl, I could just imagine how this thing drives.

https://youtu.be/WONuaO9KzxQ

lbowroom | 11 décembre 2019

The Turbo also loses about half a car length between 60-120mph vs a Performance Model 3 if you take my word for it. I have no evidence to produce, just testimony. Northbound 405 in Irvine last week.

WEST TEX EV | 11 décembre 2019

@ lbowroom

U need to save that DashCam BRO!!

JAD | 11 décembre 2019

Ouch, that is not good for the EV movement. And that is the longer range model, the Turbo S was significantly less.

I hope they release more battery capacity and improve that before launch in the US.

Frank99 | 11 décembre 2019

200 miles is fine. Not as great of a road-trip vehicle as a modern Tesla, won't last as long at a track day as a Raven or M3P, but it'll certainly be usable 360 days a year for sporty commuting and weekend jaunts, and the 5 days a year when someone wants to drive 600 miles a day will be a bit longer than a Tesla, but not out of the question. Unlike the Bolt, which had no way to travel cross country when it came out, the Taycan should be arriving just about the time that the EA charger network is coming online so their 200 mile range will only be a temporary hardship, though it will be a long-term annoyance - but people with the money to buy a Taycan aren't likely looking at it as a 10 year purchase. Those who buy used Taycan in 2-3 years will be getting a vehicle that won't disappoint them.

Porsche brings a different style, a different focus to their vehicles. More power to them, and to the people that buy them. The Taycan has the complete package needed for an EV - good looks (great looks in the case of the Taycan, IMHO), good range, fast charging, and it looks eminently usable. I welcome them to the EV future.

Magic 8 Ball | 11 décembre 2019

Compliance cars. Full stop!

Unfortunately I don't have it. I know this casts doubt on my claim but hey, this isn't a court of law. The driver of the dark blue S knows....

Could be he was low on battery or this wasn't a production car, just don't know for sure. When there are more of them around, this can be confirmed or refuted.

I'm guessing that at a roll on from 60mph cruising speed, negating launch mode advantage, the car is in and stays in 2nd gear which is the more efficient running configuration.

andy.connor.e | 11 décembre 2019

Whelp, the Leaf has sold for a long time. There appears to be a market for low range EVs. But this car is certainly not going to appease the masses with that kind of range. Not even accounting the price.

I think this is important information as the automotive press is only comparing it to the more expensive model S

Absolutely hate the interior. My wife said Wow that looks busy

To be honest, I thought it was a fantastic looking car. I have always been a fan of Porsche.

neezer | 11 décembre 2019

Holy crap, wow, this is bad. Real bad. And the Turbo S will having sub-200m range then...

@AWDTesla ==> "I still want to drive one, especially after Matt's test drive video. Giggles like a girl, I could just imagine how this thing drives."

So you don't think you'd be giggling blasting a 100K Model S Raven with 22s on that canyon road in sport mode? How about the still-a-lot-cheaper upcoming Plaid model next Fall? No biggie, and I guarantee you that you'd enjoy and giggle more in a Porsche 911 that's 2000 lbs lighter than in this Taycan Turbo S with a 230-240k+ sticker that Matt F. was piloting.

WHICH BY THE WAY, he burned through 40% of the charge over just 17 miles. LOL

@Frank99 "won't last as long at a track day as a Raven or M3P" you can say that again. In the above youtube clip shared here, the host of the channcel nuked 40% of the battery over just 17 miles, driving it spiritedly most of the time on a public CA canyon twisty road...

Tyguy | 11 décembre 2019

Uuf. That’s bad. Really, really bad. Like, Kim Kardashian bad.

I couldn’t even make it to the airport and back in winter conditions. Maybe the engineers should have placed more emphasis on drivetrain and less on the dashboard.

"And the Turbo S will having sub-200m range then"

Not sure about that. Just because it can go faster, doesn't mean it will use more energy in the EPA test at steady state. The P3D- with 18's has the same rating as the AWD

neezer | December 11, 2019
Holy crap, wow, this is bad. Real bad. And the Turbo S will having sub-200m range then...

@AWDTesla ==> "I still want to drive one, especially after Matt's test drive video. Giggles like a girl, I could just imagine how this thing drives."

So you don't think you'd be giggling blasting a 100K Model S Raven with 22s on that canyon road in sport mode? How about the still-a-lot-cheaper upcoming Plaid model next Fall? No biggie, and I guarantee you that you'd enjoy and giggle more in a Porsche 911 that's 2000 lbs lighter than in this Taycan Turbo S with a 230-240k+ sticker that Matt F. was piloting.

WHICH BY THE WAY, he burned through 40% of the charge over just 17 miles. LOL

Pretty sure I'd enjoy both. I'm a car lover, not a Tesla fanboi.

techcrunch.com/2019/12/11/the-electric-porsche-taycan-turbo-has-an-epa-range-of-201-miles/

"While Porsche said it isn’t disputing the EPA range, the automaker did send an email to dealers Wednesday to share additional data that shows a far rosier picture.

Porsche asked AMCI Testing to conduct independent tests to evaluate the Taycan Turbo range, according to an email the automaker sent to dealers for Taycan customers. The independent automotive research firm came up with a range of 275 miles, a result that was calculated by averaging the vehicle’s performance over five test cycles."

Kary993 | 11 décembre 2019

I like Porsche a lot...but that range is aweful....I could care less if it performs well...plus there is still no charging network....but Porsche does have an 800 volt system, as though it matters....it mattered in the 919 Hybrid race car but not on the street.

Oh big time. We all would LOVE piloting a Taycan Turbo S in *ANY* setting, 200%! Just don't want to own or pay for it at all. Yeah, even if I was wealthy (if I were, I'd get a couple of Teslas, and then some Porsches among my fleet, but they'd be ICE models).

Bighorn | 11 décembre 2019

Is that for the big, upgraded battery?

If I was going to spend that much on a car I would buy a Roadster 2
Superior performance and a company that has a proven record of EV and battery tech.

and > 500 mile range

@Bighorn the Taycan Turbo model doesn't have a battery option; only comes with the bigger ~100KWH one yes.

@neezer
I knew there was a 93 and 79 kWh version of the Taycan. Wasn't sure if the Turbo offered the entry level battery. Totally nuts if this is the big battery, which it sounds to be.

You guys dont know pirsche owners heh.

They dont care that their IMS bearing will spread metal debris everywhere after 100k miles on an engine. They dont care that it burns and leaks oil like its life depended on it. They dont care that their cylinders oval amd score from severe winter weather.

They care about the badge and the experience that comes with that badge. This thing will sell, no problem. Your typical porsche fanboi is even more rabid about their brand than a tesla fanboi.

minervo.florida | 11 décembre 2019

Tesla is so far ahead in so many ways that all the rest will be chasing for 10 years. The more you know about Tesla and Elon, the more you see have far the rest are behind, like chips, computers, efficiency, batteries, battery product, and so much more. Have you seen how slow and broken the screen is on the Mach-E, almost non usable.

If spending money is all about superficial status, then i say let them waste their hard earned money.

TexasBob | 11 décembre 2019

This thing is SUCH a bad deal. $154k Starting price vs <$100k for Model S Performance which is quicker, bigger, and has a range of 348.

But what really sucks about the Taycan is the nickel and dime garbage. Want an auto-open/close charge port? Extra $640. Premium sound system $5,300. Fast Charge capability $460. Glass roof with Basic AP functions $4,300. Innodrive including adaptive cruise, $3600.

You are pushing $170k before you can blink.

Thats what everyone does. Have you ever tried to spec a customizable desktop computer? Nickel and dime garbage at its extra maximum.

But what really sucks about the Taycan is the nickel and dime garbage. Want an auto-open/close charge port? Extra $640. Premium sound system $5,300. Fast Charge capability $460. Glass roof with Basic AP functions $4,300. Innodrive including adaptive cruise, $3600.

_________

Man, I WISH Tesla would do this

Insane mode, $3000
Track mode, $5000

Just some examples off the top of my head :)

@AWD

Even better:

Autopilot - $2000 sign on, $50/mo subscription
Adaptive CC - $1000
Lane Assist - $500
Summon - $2000
Dash Cam Features - $1000
Sentry Mode - $500 sign on, and $20/mo subscription

Please continue the list. Maybe this is why other automakers dont like Tesla. Nickel and Dimers

I dont like the monthly stuff. Lol

bjrosen | 11 décembre 2019

Yikes!!. Half the range at twice the price, what a deal.

Its like that commercial with the song "less is more!"

Only this time, Less costs More.

mrburke | 11 décembre 2019

This new on the Taycan is bad news no matter how you look at it.
I don't think any of us on this forum (With one or two exceptions) ever thought the Taycan would be the "Tesla Killer" that Tesla haters hoped for.

But I for one, wanted some realistic competition in the EV space. The market will never be healthy if there is only one manufacture who knows how to build a solid attractive EV.

I love my M3D, but I would also like to own a second EV that is not a M3, MS, MX, or CyberTruck. A new Roadster would be nice, but the $200k+ price tag makes that seem unlikely.

Just my thoughts at least for now.

Yup this isn't good. I want to drive to the track and that's about 160km away. If I'm spending half my time at the track charging that means I'm not racing!

What could Porsche have done so wrong?. The MPGe is 69, that would be good for a hybrid but it's awful for an EV. Is it possible that they were so focused on Autobahn performance that they made choices that crippled it at any normal speed range? For example they put in a two speed gearbox, a useless component for cars that have to obey speed limits but perhaps useful if you are driving at 250KPH on the Autobahn. This is the second car that VW has screwed up, the Audi E-Tron also came in around 200 miles of range but the E-Tron had the excuse that it wasn't a ground up EV design.

95dawg | 11 décembre 2019

Adding a transmission didn't help. With ninety years of manufacturing automobiles and buildings full of engineers, they had to go back to the old parts bin.

Upcoming Roadster will do 250mph without gearbox.

People seem reluctant to accept that Tesla is 5-10 years ahead, even now with a 7 year old model.

Pepperidge | 11 décembre 2019

Porsche is slower acceleration, slower top speed and shorter range than Model S P100D which does not have gearbox.

But you can add body color Taycan logo on the trunk for US$350.

But but it has Blind spot indicators and rear cross track nuclear alert ))))

It's not impossible for a company other than Tesla to do a decent job,
Bolt 119 MPGe
Kona 120 MPGe
Ford MachE 300 miles of range in the RWD version

Those numbers are less than the 134 MPGe of the Model 3 SR+ but they aren't in a different universe. The 69 MPGe of the Taycan is off scale bad, the Model 3 Performance is 116 MPGe, the Model S Performance is 104 MPGe, the Model S Long Range which is no slouch is 111 MPGe.

Pages