Forums

upgrade from basic autopilot

upgrade from basic autopilot

Late in Dec, i got M3 LR RWD. My tesla app shows 'basic autopilot' and FSD upgrade for 7k.

In car i see stay in lane feature and preview of visualization..

I search around and most places i see mention of 'standard autopilot' - is that same as basic autopilot?

i would like to have lane change and stop/red light sign detection.. any way to have that added only or have to go with FSD?

stingray.don | 17 janvier 2020

You will need FSD for $7k

Pg3ibew | 17 janvier 2020

I have stop and red light detection. I do not have FSD. I bought in Oct of 19. I have Autopilot.

I have stay in lane feature as well.

I am not capable of auto lane change.

vmulla | 17 janvier 2020

@Pg3ibew,
All EAP/AP cars detect stoplights, but they do not show the lights on the UI. The car only reacts with a warning when you might violate the red light. I do not know what happens on cars without AP/EAP.
Do you see the lights represented on your UI?

I am not sure what UI is. Forguve my ignorance. But my screen sees the lights and stops signs.
My car does not aitomatically stop

P33 | 17 janvier 2020

@vmulla
I do see lights represented on UI. So if it shows does that mean it will stop during autopilot? i didnt see it slow down last time i used it.

bradbomb | 17 janvier 2020

@vmulla All HW3 cars in US regardless of AP or FSD will visualize stop signs and lights if they have FSD Preview on I believe

stingray.don | 17 janvier 2020

pr3 | January 17, 2020
@vmulla
I do see lights represented on UI. So if it shows does that mean it will stop during autopilot? i didnt see it slow down last time i used it.

Only if you have FSD and only after “feature complete” is released

P33 | 17 janvier 2020

@bradbomb
you might be right, i do have HW3 and preview enabled, thus see stopsign and stoplights but it would not stop on autopilot.

So big question ... with so called 'basic autopilot' that is included in M3 now only includes stay in lane with adaptive cruise, is that correct?

vmulla | 17 janvier 2020

Aaah, there's a preview feature then - ok.
But then why did they leave out the lane change feature in the preview? Odd.

bradbomb | 17 janvier 2020

The FSD Preview has nothing to do with actually previewing FSD. It’s to show everyone what the FSD computer can actually see and visualize it. That way it builds trust because the car can see the stop signs, can see those trash cans, can see the paintings on the road, etc.

AP just gives you TACC and Autosteer. FSD gives you NoAP on highways, Auto Lane Change, Autopark, Summon, Smart Summon (and coming later responding to traffic lights and stop signs and NoAP on city streets).
If you have a Model 3 purchased before March 1st, 2019 and have EAP, it gives you TACC, Autosteer, NoAP on Highways, Auto Lane Change, Autopark, Summon, & Smart Summon. Purchasing FSD gives you HW3 and the features coming later