Forums

2000 mile road trip. Range anxiety between two superchargers.

2000 mile road trip. Range anxiety between two superchargers.

I'm not a new owner. I have 15,000 miles on my car. Several < 600 mile road trips. I am not worried about my trip and charging, there are plenty of superchargers, except between Mount Vernon, IL and Bowling Green, KY. abetterroutplanner estimates 85% battery usage. Add a bit of headwind and/or rain and that 15% cushion disappears. I'm looking for some advice from our forum members who do a lot of highway driving. Should I start out 5 mph below the speed limit the first 50 miles? I can route through Kuttawa, KY supercharger, but that adds 30 minutes of driving. I have no problem arriving with 5%. I once had a 7% arrival charge for the last 130 miles of one road trip.

Lonestar10_1999 | 9 février 2020

Perhaps there is a destination charger along the route. I would check with PlugShare.

FISHEV | 9 février 2020

What does Tesla trip planner say vs. ABRP? That might give you an idea how much cushion you have.

Frank99 | 9 février 2020

Learn to use the energy graph in trip mode, and just drive. It’ll give you continuous feedback on how you’re doing relative to Navigation’s plan. What you’ll also notice is that navigation takes, for example, elevation changes into account when planning your trip.
Nav will also take into account charging times -if you have to charge to 100% to make a leg, that’ll take a long time, perhaps making the longer route faster.

In short:
1. Use in-car nav on the trip. It’ll know the fastest way to get to your destination.
2. Watch the energy monitor in trip mode. If you’re falling short of the plan, slow down. The car will get much better range at 65 than 75, and (if necessary) much better range at 55 than 65.

Bighorn | 9 février 2020

It's going to depend on the weather whether you want to make it or just do a simple detour. When I look at the route on evtripplanner, it says 195.5 miles with 16 feet of elevation gain. What Model do you have because a 73kWh version would be a cake walk.
But to answer the more general question when you don't have easy options like Kuttawa, you start out slow and build your buffer until you feel confident about arriving with a comfortable buffer.

stingray.don | 9 février 2020

Keep in mind that when you have a trip loaded, the car will tell you to slow down and provide a recommended speed to reach your destination.

Bighorn | 9 février 2020

At least you're not in a Taycan. This trip is absolutely harrowing. It's a great read and provides nice insight into the dismal state of the non Tesla charging networks.

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/taking-one-lap-of-the-country-...

vmulla | 9 février 2020

"you start out slow and build your buffer until you feel confident about arriving with a comfortable buffer." @bighorn

Thanks! Never had to do it, but good to know and share.
I would have done the opposite, which doesn't make sense when you start to think about it

Bighorn | 9 février 2020

@vmulla
The opposite approach is often too little, too late. Driving on the shoulder is no fun and no way to represent the brand.

Bighorn | 9 février 2020

Absolutely incorrect, as you'd expect. Trip graph is the one indispensable metric if you're not a human calculator. By 20-30 miles in, it is totally dialed in with the unknown variables factored in be it your speed, a headwind or your propensity to overheat the cabin.

Bighorn | 9 février 2020

lol

jimglas | 9 février 2020

Remember, the laws of physics don’t apply to Taycan
And
Fish is ALWAY wrong

jfaubl | 9 février 2020

Performance edition with 20 inch tires, Bighorn. What's strange is the leg is 200 miles. I'm not sure why it is estimating so much usage. I've planned in lunch at Mt Vernon, so no worries on charging to 100%.
I guess what I'm asking,too, is if it tells me to slow down, when will it do that? Will it have me arrive with a 10% buffer if will it warm me when I'll barely getting there?
I hopefully will have a tail wind as weather tends to blow easterly.
It's funny having range anxiety 16 months in, but I am for that leg of the trip.

howard | 9 février 2020

Bighorn, thank you for the link, but this one is much better: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/car-and-driver-review-porsche-...

FISHEV | 9 février 2020

" is if it tells me to slow down, when will it do that?"

At the end of the trip as Rated Range can drop dramatically vs. Projected Range. Driving to suoer charger with low battery, the "slow down to 50" warning came when I had 8 miles left to go 10 miles on a 70mph speed limit road.

It basically gives the warning on the back end when it is least useful. It will only tell you about speed restrictions early if the trip is marginal from the start and then only in terms of Rated Range which can be up to 50% more than actual Projected Range.

donharvey2323 | 9 février 2020

For the leg I have a concern for: I will set nav for that charger (as opposed to the whole trip). When you start the nav it will show you an overview of the whole trip and then collapse that part of the display. You can swipe down from the bottom of that part to show the overview again. At the bottom it will show the % on arrival. If that number is getting smaller I slow down a little. If it is getting bigger I know I have cushion or can speed up a little.

Bighorn | 9 février 2020

@howard
Yes, I'd read that one where the Tesla still beats what was a preproduction model with terrible brakes. Curiously, it out performed a production model in Brooks' Dragtimes heats. I'm glad to present the first real world experience in a production Taycan. Range is 185 miles per the car's computer. And the charging network is a shambles.

@jfaubi
When you charge, you'll get an arrival SOC estimate. You'll see that number drop as you're driving, if that's what's going to happen. You can choose a threshold on your own as to when to adjust speed accordingly. If I start out with a 20% arrival buffer and I watch it march down, I may decide to drop my speed by 5 mph when the arrival buffer hits 10%. The car will behave similarly. Ignore the malarky of known trolls. Consumption is linear throughout the SOC. My Model S will hit 288k miles this week and the 3 is closing in on 42k.
I also have a performance version, but on 18s, and my long leg that had me worried was a 295 mile stretch from Maine to New Brunswick when that was the closest supercharger. I managed to arrive with 11%. Unless you have a stiff headwind or rain/slush/snow, it should not be difficult. It is 70 mph for the bulk of the trip. You haven't inadvertently put in Bowling Green, Ohio I trust, though it is 420 miles away. I would put ABRP's prediction out of mind as it makes little sense. When you're in Mount Vernon, plug in the destination and see what the car thinks. I highly doubt there's an issue here. I never use those websites to plan my trip and ignorance is bliss. I've never not arrived to over 800 different superchargers now.

billtphotoman | 9 février 2020

I also have some 170 - 240 mile spans to cross between Super Chargers and Bighorn's advice (as is usual from the King of Tesla road trips) is on the money: The Trip tab on the Energy Screen is a lifesaver. Just adjust your speed and climate control as needed to keep the "green line" tracking to what is needed to make it to your destination. It also doesn't hurt to check the weather and if you will be traversing a cold front or rain system leave an extra buffer (IE start out conservatively.

Bighorn | 9 février 2020

I’d also look at the wind report and see if a 1 for 1 reduction in speed for a headwind was even viable. Last week I was traversing 60 mph cross winds and it influenced where I could turn and head in that direction. Basically, I didn’t head west through Wyoming or Colorado and waited until New Mexico where the winds had shifted.

jfaubl | 9 février 2020

I had a long response but it got erased due to crappy internet. But mostly it was a thank you to Bighorn for his advise. I was looking for your input.

Bighorn | 9 février 2020

Hate it when than happens:) Happy I could help.

Shesmyne2 | 9 février 2020

Bighorn is always right.

Still Grinning ;-)

jfaubl | 16 février 2020

So I drove 150 miles on the average highway at the speed limit and actually arrived with 2% more battery than the estimate. That makes me feel better about driving this leg of the trip.

jfaubl | 16 février 2020

Not sure what and average highway is...

in7 | 16 février 2020

I agree with what Frank99 said. Also, keeping all heaters off is best for range. jfaubl, if you're typing a long response for a forum, best thing to do is to type it into Notepad or Wordpad, then copy and paste into the forum input box after you're done.