Forums

Cruise Control Bug Not Fixed by 2020.8.1

Cruise Control Bug Not Fixed by 2020.8.1

I installed 2020.8.1, hoping the cruise control bug that prevents the plain old cruise control from engaging immediately after it’s set while driving up a grade would be fixed by the update, but it wasn’t.

Please fix this, Tesla.

Sarah R | 13 mars 2020

I must have just learned a new behavior, then because this doesn't bother me any more

lbowroom | 13 mars 2020

Sorry, I know this was discussed but I can’t remember, does the OP not have AP? Otherwise he’s misusing the term plain old cruise.

FISHEV | 13 mars 2020

There is no spoon responses are odd.

lbowroom | 13 mars 2020

What responses are those? If the car has AP or EAP it doesn’t has plain old cruise. Only early cars have that possibility

Sarah R | 13 mars 2020

I made note of the behavior that the OP brought to our attention because I saw it as well. I have HW3+FSD. So it really doesn't matter if the OP has regular cruise, AP, EAP or FSD, it does occur.

That said, I guess I've just figured out how to engage TACC and AP without triggering the behavior, so it doesn't bother me any more. I'm now chalking it up as another "Right way, wrong way, Tesla way"

(Borrowing from an old Navy saying: There's the right way, the wrong way and the Navy way. The squids who are reading this know what I'm talking about.)

lbowroom | 13 mars 2020

Not disputing its occurrence, just didn’t know if it was indeed limited to cars with only dumb cruise. If so, I wouldn’t be able to replicate it. I also don’t have any hills on my daily commute.

PECo CT | 14 mars 2020

Plain old, old fashioned, dumb, traditional cruise control is what I use. I do not use TACC or AP. I keep my attention on driving when I’m driving.

PECo CT | 14 mars 2020

I figure that if I use the word “bug” often enough, someone at Tesla might fix the problem. ; )

gparrot | 14 mars 2020

Remind me again how to engage plain ol’ cruise control? I am soooo interested in this function as I rarely engage TACC.

lbowroom | 14 mars 2020

Sorry still confused a little by the way you state that you don’t USE TACC or autopilot. The only way to have dumb autopilot is if you purchased before AP was included and don’t have it or EAP. Otherwise one tap down is TACC.

PECo CT | 14 mars 2020

My car was delivered in October 2018, and I have neither Autopilot nor Full Self-Driving. Didn’t want them. Still don’t.

lbowroom | 14 mars 2020

Ok, that’s makes sense. It was the wording, “I do not to use” that I wasn’t sure about

lbowroom | 14 mars 2020

So after tapping down, you are pulling your foot off quicker than whatever mechanism the car uses that actually moves the pedal is fully engaged. Is that your complaint?

lbowroom | 14 mars 2020

Although there is no physical cable pulling a butterfly valve of a carburetor, the throttle control emulates that with a pedal that travels. If it were a touchscreen or a pressure transducer than the electronics could take over immediately. However, since you expect the pedal to be in the correct position for your foot to reengage after cruise is off, it mechanically has to be moved. What you’re experiencing is a little lag time for that to happen.

PECo CT | 14 mars 2020

@lbowroom

Man, are you persistent. I am not using the car wrong.

I live on a hill in a very hilly area, so I’ve had lots of opportunities to try lots of things. I’ve tried lifting off of the accelerator immediately after setting the cruise control, after a short pause, after a long pause and after a verrry long pause. I’ve tried toggling the set speed with the thumb wheel after setting the cruise control, but it still won’t engage without first decelerating significantly, sometimes up to 13 miles per hour.

There’s definitely a bug in the system.

PECo CT | 14 mars 2020

Bug. Bug. BUG!

FISHEV | 14 mars 2020

Since you can replicate it and it is unsafe, pick a spot close to nearest Service Center where you can demonstrate. Go to SC and ask tech to take ride with you to observe problem and how to duplicate.

If you are lucky, tech will say we can fix it and can duplicate to fix it.

If unlucky it will be the dreaded "within normal limits" and your bug is a feature.

RayNLA | 14 mars 2020

Why would one feel the need to engage cruise control near their home, on a hill?

PECo CT | 14 mars 2020

@RayNLA

ANY grade, anywhere.

RayNLA | 14 mars 2020

@PECo CT
Someone once told me that “just because you can, doesn’t always mean that you should”

Maybe thats the fix!

Frank99 | 14 mars 2020

Be nice. What PECo CT is reporting would be annoying as hell to me, and should be reported to Tesla as a bug. RayNLA, I don’t understand your desire to minimize that.

PECo CT | 14 mars 2020

Bug. Bug. BUG!

Frank99 | 14 mars 2020

Just recognize that Tesla doesn’t monitor these forums, and no one on here can help you. You’ll need to get someone s attention inside Tesla if you actually want this fixed.

RayNLA | 15 mars 2020

@Frank99
Ok...I’ll be nice. Thanks for the reminder. :)
I think you summed the situation up completely by stating that no one here can help you.
But I still question the use of cruise control anywhere near a residential area. Or maybe i’m misinterpreting the scenario that the OP described.

lbowroom | 15 mars 2020

Thanks for provided some details. Still need more though. Traveling uphill at a steady speed, tap down once, car indicates it’s in cruise, lift foot, car slowed down, then speeds up to where it was set? Is this your complaint?

I’m a little confused by the statement “ but it still won’t engage without first decelerating” does cruise not engage when you tap down? Does it accelerate with the thumb wheel but when you lift your foot, it still slows down?

When you turn the thumb wheel, the pedal should move down away from your foot, I’m still confused by your description, not just trying to tell you you’re doing it wrong.

Sarah R | 15 mars 2020

I've actually seen what the OP describes. I too live "in the hills" with a 6% grade on the freeway nearby. Since I have TACC and AP+FSD I can confirm this is not limited to vehicles with simple cruise.

What happens? Engaging TACC or AP while driving up the grade, speed control lags, resulting in the car slowing significantly.

I'm not sure what I'm doing differently than I was doing before, but it ismuch less of an issue to me now. I think that it might be something in the way that the accelerator position sensor interacts with TACC. We've all seen the message about TACC will not slow the car when your foot is pressing the pedal.

That said, a few observations:

If you're on a 65 MPH highway and engage whatever flavor of cruise you desire at a lower speed, so long as the driveable space in front of you is clear, cruise will accelerate to the speed limit, or the speed limit plus the offset you have set. But if you're pressing hard on the accelerator, you're overriding Cruise since it assumes you know what you're doing. If I lift my foot from the pedal too quickly I sometimes saw this behavior that the OP described. Note that simply pausing before a quick lift of the foot still exhibited the behavior. It is the rate at which the foot is lifted that seems to affect this.

Also, I noticed the behavior that the OP is describing when I had a +2 MPH offset programmed. I don't notice it with offset at 0. There's something to experiment with.

I'm not sure that it's a bug. I think it's another "Tesla does it different".

PECo CT | 15 mars 2020

This is not a case of “Tesla does it different”. This is a case of “Tesla has a bug in its cruise control software”.

Bug. Bug. BUG!

Sarah R | 15 mars 2020

Mash the right scroll wheel button and say, "Bug report: cruise control doors not engage properly."

I tried to help. I believe you. I've seen it. But it's not happening to me any more. I told you what I did differently. You can try it. Good luck.

gparrot | 15 mars 2020

It happened to me too - only once, yesterday - but unfortunately for me, my wife was aboard. I was allowed a litany of four-lettered words, some of which I had never heard before. Didn’t know my (current) wife could curse in German!

PECo CT | 15 mars 2020

@Sarah R

Yes, I know. Thank you.

Seriously, this BUG is less of a problem than an occasional inconvenience to me. Cruise control simply helps me to not speed too much. The car’s just too much fun to drive.

The BUG is also a little bit of a disappointment, in that Tesla has done and is doing so many things better than any car company has done before, and this seems to me to be something that would be so easy for it to do better as well. Once the cruise control has actually engaged, it maintains the car’s speed better than I’ve experienced in any other car.

Whenever I drive up into or down from the mountains outside of Phoenix in my father-in-law’s Jeep Grand Cherokee or Chevrolet Corvette, I wish that I were in a Tesla, instead. I’m trying to talk him into trading the Jeep for a Tesla Model Y, now.