Forums

Frunk Hood Design- Crease-proof?

Frunk Hood Design- Crease-proof?

Model S frunk hood was notoriously delicate and prone to creasing if not closed properly.

Any knowledge of Model 3 frunk hood design and materials?

yongliangzhu68 | 6 avril 2016

The MS is aluminum (weaker/lighter) and the M3 will probably or might be steel (cheeper/stronger/heaver).

john.tara.ford | 6 avril 2016

The body of the prototypes last week were aluminum, per Car and Driver.

That said, I had an S2000 with an aluminum hood. It has fine but your did have to close it differently from a steel hood. I always lowered mine to about a foot from closing and then sropped it, instead of pushing it closed.

Just to add back in 2001 I bought a Honda A-2000 (loved hat car) and it was one of the first (I think) to have an aluminum hood. You do have to be more carful. I had it for about 4 years and never had a problem (actually with anything).

The M3 may use aluminum on the hood (and maybe trunk [though it is small]) while keeping the sheet metal steel, but we will have to wait and see.

Should be S not A. No way to edit a post??????

Tropopause | 6 avril 2016

I hope Tesla doesn't have to educate 500,000 people/year on how to close a frunk hood like they did/do Model S owners.

Still hoping for something more sturdy, aluminum or not.

Not a Model X owner, so not sure how that frunk operates and holds up.

Red Sage ca us | 6 avril 2016

It is a much smaller, shorter hood. When I saw it open, it looked to be rather well reinforced. I doubt it flexes at all.