Forums

Tesla Model 3 is shaking up the industry: Daimler shareholders express concerns at annual meeting

Tesla Model 3 is shaking up the industry: Daimler shareholders express concerns at annual meeting

Three important questions shareholders presented to Daimler's management:

[A shareholder] warned the automobile industry faced “a radical upheaval, driven by attacks from Silicon Valley”. Among other products, Alphabet is developing a self-driving car.

Another Daimler shareholder complained to management: “We don’t really have a product for this competition from Tesla. In the long term we have some great vehicles … but they are virtual at this point.”

A third shareholder said there was no adequate European competitor to Tesla’s latest model. He asked management: “What is the reason for that?”

Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche responded by highlighting Mercedes’ plan to have 10 plug-in hybrid in its vehicle lineup by 2017 and an all-electric car with a range of ~300 miles (500km) by the end of the decade.

Really?!? Uh-oh!

The rest of article here:

http://electrek.co/2016/04/07/tesla-model-3-daimler-shareholder/

I also loved the pic from this article:

Red Sage ca us | 7 avril 2016

Hmmm... That image is actually from the YouTube video of Model ☰ in the wild... I wonder if thety were given credit for it?

Tropopause | 7 avril 2016

I don't think this is a still-shot from "in the wild" video. I think this is taken on a different city block during the shooting event.

carlk | 7 avril 2016

I have mentioned in another post it's game over for ICE. EV has all the advantages in puplution, performance and effeciency over ICE. Best of all it does not have sacrifice one for the other like ICE can not avoid not to. The hope for ICE companies has been to keep this a secrect and makes as few people know about it as possible. Thank to Tesla the secrect is out now. There is no turning back for them. It's going to be interesting to see how each of those companies reacts to it.

henry | 7 avril 2016

The reaction from Daimler shareholders probably has more to do with the Tesla Model S outselling other luxury cars in Europe. The fear of the Model 3 someday taking larger market share must be as scary as AC was to Edison. Hoping the don't start playing nasty like he did.

Haggy | 7 avril 2016

It won't be game over for ICE for a while. Only 2/3 of use households have garages. That's more than enough for Tesla to sell to at maximum projected capacity and even if they overtake Camry it won't be a problem. But there's still what's left.

Considering the family resemblance among Tesla's current and announced future offerings, I'd dread seeing nothing but Teslas on the street. We don't even have annual face lifts to shake things up. I'm not saying we need them at this point, but once infrastructure improves, I hope there's enough competition out there.

TaoJones | 7 avril 2016

Given that Daimler is 2nd only to Kia in having copied the Model S look, I'm surprised that they haven't just decided to copy the rest of the S≡XY line and to bet the farm on their plug-in hybrids until they can copy better EV technology.

Unless, of course, that's exactly what they have chosen to do.

PhillyGal | 7 avril 2016

It also won't be over for ICE until towing capacity AND more clever charging is a thing.

I say that because of a conversation with my brother the other day. He'd gladly have an EV pickup truck if it could tow an RV without significantly messing up range and performance AND if the charging stations were accessible when you're towing a 30' camper behind you.

Apparently, he can't even get gas at all stations because he can't fit while the RV is hooked up.

Just an interesting perspective that I hadn't thought of before. But honestly we'd be in a much better place if just every multi car household had one EV for daily driving, even if they have a big monster truck for other needs.

carlk | 7 avril 2016

@Haggy

Think outside the box as Elon does. I can see he already has a solution for that.

diegoPasadena | 7 avril 2016

Considering the family resemblance among Tesla's current and announced future offerings, I'd dread seeing nothing but Teslas on the street.

Worse things could happen. That's a problem I'm looking forward to. Imagine what that would do for our stock :^)

Besides: Other manufacturers won't sit still. They'll just lag woefully behind. Even if their offerings wind up clearly inferior - and surely not all of them will -, there's always someone buying pretty much anything that is on offer. Remember the Pontiac Aztec? Walter White wasn't the only one who ever bought one - who knows why.

*Someone* has to compete for second place, right?

diegoPasadena | 7 avril 2016

The first line was supposed to be italicized - quote from Haggy

bj | 7 avril 2016

@PhillyGal - what will happen over time is that the "niche" applications still requiring ICE for whatever reason will progressively diminish as EV technology knocks each barrier over, one at a time. There will always be someone who says they need to tow 2 ton trailers or drive 1000 km without stopping or something else, but that doesn't really matter as long as EVs progressively serve a larger and larger proportion of driving needs. And that is exactly what's happening.

And there will be a tipping point - possibly before EVs become 50% of all new sales - where the economics of ICE will rapidly degrade and this will force ICE-centric people to rethink their driving patterns and requirements, and change their ways to meet EV capability rather than the other way around. They might grumble and be dragged kicking and screaming, but simple economics will eventually kill ICE, the mighty dollar will eventually win.

Limited ICE may remain as a "boutique" item for those who can afford it, before disappearing completely, except for vintage car enthusiasts.

jordanrichard | 7 avril 2016

".....except for vintage car enthusiasts". This is essentially what Jay Leno said 4 years ago when Franz brought a MS over to Jay Leno for an episode of Jay Leno's Garage. EV were the future and that gasoline cars will be become "toys" to be used on the weekends.

Of course Jay wouldn't be Jay with out do an "old school" thing like do a burn out in the MS.

PhillyGal | 7 avril 2016

@bj - Agree. It's still an interesting thought though to design chargers to accommodate when your Model X is pulling a boat. My bro's perspective was unique.

JeffreyR | 7 avril 2016

@PhillyGal have you seen the Model X towing a boat. It's one of the first videos I saw way back when.

YouTube T3QbKexTSok

The last twenty seconds are amazing. He does a quick acceleration test, and says, "It's like it's not even there."

MarlonBrown | 7 avril 2016

Benz relies on the unreliability and high maintenance fees to keep their empire. Wait till Benz and BMW learn that 100k/year Model 3 are eating part of their c300 and 3 series.

MarlonBrown | 7 avril 2016

Benz relies on the unreliability and high maintenance fees to keep their empire. Wait till Benz and BMW learn that 100k/year Model 3 are eating part of their c300 and 3 series.

Tropopause | 7 avril 2016

Did anyone catch the shareholder's statement, “a radical upheaval, driven by attacks from Silicon Valley”

Bad ol' Silicon Valley attacking innocent luxury car behemoths. I mean, the nerve! ;)

Tiebreaker | 7 avril 2016

Charging quickly evolves. Curbside supercharging is easy. It is not like curbside pumping gas. So I am expecting that soon there will be an easy solution for city dwellers, people with no garages, and RV towing behemoths.

bj | 7 avril 2016

@Tiebreaker - kerbside (or curbside) EV charging is fairly common in major European cities where very few people live in houses with garages - almost everyone lives in apartments. So it can and is done on a large scale. Basically street parking spots are reserved for EVs, just like for ride-share vehicles, except they have L2 charging pillars next to them.

lolachampcar | 8 avril 2016

create the need and a solution will follow
There were no feed stores on the corner of every other block in the horse and buggy days.

Red Sage ca us | 8 avril 2016

Tropopause: Check YouTube. There is a longer, high definition version of the video. The last several seconds feature this still shot. You can see the same camera rigging gear on the back of the Model S.