Forums

What ICE car does the 3 most resemble?

What ICE car does the 3 most resemble?

Believe it or not, there are some people who don't know what the Model 3 looks like. I have struggled explaining it and on one of these occasions, a Ford Focus drove by and I found myself saying "It sort of looks like that."

Now at the risk of imperilling myself, I thought I would tip my tow in the shark infested waters of this forum and ask others what they thought.

You know what the 3 looks like and I'm not saying they are identical but in broad brush strokes they are similar. Or are they?

Here is a Ford Focus:
http://assets.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/assets/2015_Ford_Focus_J1/BP2/...

warren_tran | 17 juin 2016

The front design have cue from Porsche and Aston Martin. The headlight area seem to similar to Porsche while the front bumper area and shape have some similarity to Aston Martin.

slasher0016 | 17 juin 2016

The head designer was originally from Mazda and you can see some cues from that as well. My initial thought when I saw it was a the front of Porsche 911

kzodz | 17 juin 2016

Front headlights are 100% Porsche, everything else is very close to the other M3 (mazda 3), which makes sense since I believe it was the same designer.

autoxer7 | 17 juin 2016

My first thought was the front looked like a Porsche Panamera and the side/back like a BMW 3 series. I have a Mazdaspeed3 and don't see much Mazda in it.

Ross1 | 17 juin 2016

A Generic Vanilla with a bigger back window.

Frankmoble | 17 juin 2016

Porsche looking for sure. Maybe that's why it has so many reservations

finman100 | 17 juin 2016

Mazda 3, but the Model 3 looks bigger all around.

Cesg12290 | 17 juin 2016

Porsche front (which I love), and Mazda body (not too fond that it resembles it) however I do like the design.

Ross1 | 18 juin 2016

Porsche looking for sure. Maybe that's why it has so many repetitions.

zakeeus | 18 juin 2016

Chrysler 200 in the back.

Xerogas | 19 juin 2016

Maserati Ghibli sedan

Red Sage ca us | 19 juin 2016

OP: The Model ☰ looks most like what I expected it to... Like a Tesla Motors product. I am simply overjoyed that all the morons who predicted it would be a Volkswagen Golf clone were proven to be entirely incorrect.

That said... When viewed from the front and above at certain angles, there appears to be an homage to Porsche/Ferrari... But that could also be seen as a nod to Lotus and thereby the original Tesla Roadster as well.

Seen from behind... Well, there are gazillions of vehicles that look like this today. I believe that aerodynamics simply lead to a particular solution. There's not really a way around it.

In side views, there are two cars that the Model ☰ reminds me of most... The 2005 Toyota Celica, and today's Hyundai Elantra. And it still doesn't actually look like either of them.

Ross: It seems you are mistaking the Tesla Model ☰ for the Oldsmobile Alero (AKA Generic Motors Arental).

mntlvr23 | 19 juin 2016

@Zerogas - I have driven up to a Mazeratii Ghibli on a number of occasions and at a distance thinking that each was a Model S, until I got fairly close.

JRKingston | 20 juin 2016

Thanks for that, all. I agree that it has a certain resemblance to a Porsche Panamera and a bit like a Mazda 3. But the similarities to Hyundai's Elantra are striking,

damonmath | 20 juin 2016

Mazda 3

carlk | 20 juin 2016

Well I think that's a stretch.

robgorman | 20 juin 2016

It looks just like a Porsche 'Caymanera'.

Xerogas | 20 juin 2016

Aston Martin DB9 Sedan Rapide (looks more like a Model S, but hey, the Model 3 looks a bit like an S, too)

JRKingston | 22 juin 2016

So, @Red Sage, you seem to be in the know around here. I've been looking at Elantras and comparing their mass to the 3. Do you -- or anyone else -- have a sense of how big the car will be? The Elantra is a bit bigger than the Mazda 3 but my guess is that it looks more like the Mazda 3 in terms of massing than the Elantra.

In which case, I need to remind myself, it's a small(ish) car even though it seats five.

dachuyn | 22 juin 2016

(Porsche+Mazda6+Jetta)/3

Red Sage ca us | 22 juin 2016

The truly cab forward design allowed by having a fully electric drivetrain enables the Model ☰ to have a very long wheelbase and a cabin with the volume of a Midsize car even with the footprint of a Compact car. Please note that the Acura TLX, BMW 3-Series, AUDI A4, Lexus IS, Mercedes-Benz C-Class, Jaguar XE, and Cadillac ATS are all Compact cars... While 'smaller' cars, such as Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, and Hyundai Elantra are all Midsize cars now. Here is a reminder of what Model ☰ competitors' overall dimensions:

190″ L x 73″ W x 57″ H ___ Acura TLX
185″ L x 72″ W x 56″ H ___ AUDI A4
182-183″ L x 71″ W x 56-57″ H ___ BMW 3-Series
183-184″ L x 71-73″ W x 55-56″ H ___ Cadillac ATS
188-189″ L x 72″ W x 57″ H ___ Infiniti Q50
183.9" L x 72.8" W x 55.7" H ___ Jaguar XE
184″ L x 71″ W x 56″ H ___ Lexus IS
185″ L x 71″ W x 57″ H ___ Mercedes-Benz C-Class

ryanvarju | 22 juin 2016

While not exact, I'm surprised just how much it resembles a Hyundai Elentra and have thought that since the initial launch.