Forums

Tesla CEO Elon Musk announces unexpected product unveiling Oct. 17th & Tesla Solar City Event Oct. 28

Tesla CEO Elon Musk announces unexpected product unveiling Oct. 17th & Tesla Solar City Event Oct. 28

rgrant | 9 octobre 2016

Hoping is the Model 3 update - to steal some attention away from the Bolt...

leskchan | 9 octobre 2016

My money is on battery design. New battery format with advanced cooling, currently on P100D, will replace all existing battery pack. It will be available for S, X, and 3.

flight505 | 9 octobre 2016

My guess is an integrated solar-to-grid product that is plug and play - just set the product in your yard or on your roof or any spot with sun and energy feeds into the grid and lowers your electric bill.

Yes!!!

McLary | 9 octobre 2016

Need to spread out the announcements because the stock is tanking. Big equity raise coming following financial report in early Nov.

Bighorn | 9 octobre 2016

Elon denied in tweets that equity raise would occur in Q4 and probably not Q1 either.

McLary | 9 octobre 2016

He said in April no raise was needed, then voila, a May raise.

Bighorn | 9 octobre 2016

I guess time will tell.

johndoeeyed | 9 octobre 2016

Camera security recording option?
Ultracapacitor boost option?
Swapable battery modules (not pack)?
Pay-per-use supercharging?

McLary | 9 octobre 2016

@johndoeeyed

You should be happiest. I am somewhat certain that it will be your PW 2.0. That is what my sources are whispering, and they rarely lead me astray.

The logic with coming out early, is to not take away any of the thunder from the solar roof announcement.

johndoeeyed | 9 octobre 2016

I doubt it will be an early Powerwall2 announcement for 2 reasons.
Firstly, Elon said "unexpected by most", whereas the Powerwall2 is not expected. A new HPWC allowing vehicle to HPWC is possible, but I do not expect it.
Secondly, I expect the Powerwall2/solar/charging/backup to be announced as a complete ecosystem.

grega | 9 octobre 2016

Saying the product is "unexpected by most" is such a pain! :)

Now we have to analyse all the possibilities, and anything more likely is immediately reclassified as less likely. The less likely things are reclassified as likely, unless they're just too unlikely to ever be likely.

We have to judge exactly what level of unexpected it is, in order to know what to expect.

grega | 9 octobre 2016

Of course, instead of looking for known less-likely things to work out what's most likely... we could go for something much further out.

Like an Electric plane.

Though, if we're putting down bets, I honestly don't think it's a plane. But something that fits in that class of unexpected.

Could just be a UPS power supply.

johndoeeyed | 10 octobre 2016

Charging snake or inductive charging?

vperl | 10 octobre 2016

Best speculation, nothing to do with any of the officially announced Tesla vehicles, or powerwall

Hope I am wrong.

vperl | 10 octobre 2016

Could be, Wild uneducated speculation here, a partnership with some national company or companies involving Superchargers .

That would be spectacular.

Efontana | 10 octobre 2016

The Model 3 being ahead of schedule is "unexpected by most."

Not my place to predict the future, but that is what I would most like to hear.

EVRider | 10 octobre 2016

I would interpret "product unveiling" to mean a new product, not a change to an existing product or schedule.

makobill | 10 octobre 2016

Model Y announcement - in parallel to the Model 3... That would be a surprise...

vperl | 10 octobre 2016

Y, promise that..Tesla cannot at this time really cannot produce the 3 in numbers to deliver 33% of the 400,000 M3 by mid or end of 2018.

Introduction of another model before the M3 has delivered 10% of the 400,000 would seem silly.

eding00 | 10 octobre 2016

Family Helicopter
Solar Car
Self driving car
flying car

mschaffer11 | 10 octobre 2016

vperl is an obvious troll. Ignore.

Reading the tweet again, its most likely a Model 3 update. Doesn't say new product - just unveiling - which could be design enhancements, extended range, etc for Model 3...

"Tesla product unveiling on the 17th (unexpected by most), followed by Tesla/SolarCity on the 28th"

nadurse | 10 octobre 2016

Well, if theres a solar city announcement end of the month, anything related to that will be done as a packaged deal with the 28th announcement such as PW2.0 or vehicle to grid connections. Anything related to autopilot would probably be to obvious to fit the "unexpected by most" section of the tweet, since that has dominated the news in recent months.

My top 3 would be:

1) Update on Model 3 design(pencils down), especially since its roughly 6 months since the initial unveiling, and that its ON SCHEDULE (thats the unexpected by most part)
2) Model Y concept- since the model 3 is a modular platform it would take a relatively small amount of changes to have include the crossover option once the chassis and powertrain would be already designed into the 3.
3) Least likely: a new roadster or performance car. This would blindside a lot of people but really pump up the Tesla fan base. I was going to say a small size pickup truck, but this would most likely be built on the Model 3 platform, and I doubt that they would unveil a truck before the Model Y.

KP in NPT | 10 octobre 2016

I feel like anything relating to the 3 or Y will be a major event with invites. My guess is the new battery.

vperl | 10 octobre 2016

Nvidia, or whoever

@mp1156 - I agree with your statement, and its the only thing giving me pause around the Model Y. Invites seem like they would be nearly automatic on that level of announcement. Updates on the Model 3 might not be though. Guess we find out in a week!

nightwolf9ss | 10 octobre 2016

It will be about making the car almost completely autonomous.

"Unexpected by most" because of the bad media the autopilot got in the last months.

But I hope it will be about a cheap very simple long range small car or a scooter/motorcycle.

Robert55 | 10 octobre 2016

The announcement will essentially the actual "Tesla Vision" aka autopilot 2.0 product
which will mean new models of the S and X with new sensors to support the necessary
inputs to the Nvidia processor and computing infrastructure. IMHO, the system, in partnership
with Nvidia, will be offered to other automobile manufacturers also - although maybe that comes later.

Cesg12290 | 10 octobre 2016

+1

sanjosedriver | 10 octobre 2016

Elon's comment about many people not expecting it is what is throwing me off. The wildest thing I could think of is an extreme performance Model R (roadster built on S/X platform) in secret development for the past two years that will have a high price tag and help fund the Model 3. Note the Model 3 requires a different line than the S and X, and demand from the S/X will likely fall when the 3 is widely available. That means they might be able to add a 3rd premium model like a Model R without reducing capacity for the 3 and future Y.

JAnnen | 10 octobre 2016

I think vperl nailed it with: "... Superchargers." Future BMW cars will be compatible with Tesla Superchargers.

vperl | 10 octobre 2016

Well, if that is what you think.

I meant, poorly worded, national companies would want to offer locations on their property sites for SUPERCHARGERS. Big hotels with Interstate hwy close, restaurants, trucks tops, even some big property companies that own or manage huge amounts of properties. Something like that. The expansion of sites could grow faster with the help of this type of expansion.

But, somehow that is less probable.

McLary | 10 octobre 2016

Reading these posts, i think a couple of you nailed it. Unexpected would be some actual cell production and new battery packs out of Nevada. A "new" product in that they would be the first all North American batteries produced. Of course they won't go into any cars until next year, since there is a very good chance that the battery packs will be cousins to the M3 on display at the gigafactory opening.

ryandev00 | 10 octobre 2016

@McLary Why would they announce something that is months away. I doubt they would make an entire unveiling event about the new battery. Just doesn't make sense.

Ponyotoro | 11 octobre 2016

1) Model 3 range of at least 240 miles
2) Electric Motorcycle
3) The next Roadster
4) Battery upgrade options for all MS/X
5) Autonomous Snake charger availability
6) New Battery type for future line
7) A range extender battery attachment

lar_lef | 11 octobre 2016

EM will announce that the singularity has been achieved with regard to AP. Not only is there no need for a driver, there is no need for a human being in a Tesla.

petrian24 | 11 octobre 2016

Can anyone reach to Elon Musk and find out if he is aware of The Venus Projest and it's founder Jaque Fresco ? I saw some holes in Elon Musk ' s world view which Jaque Fresco can complete and with the Elon's influential power humanity can jump overy some hundred of years!!!

petrian24 | 11 octobre 2016

Can anyone reach to Elon Musk and find out if he is aware of The Venus Projest and it's founder Jaque Fresco ? I saw some holes in Elon Musk ' s world view which Jaque Fresco can complete and with the Elon's influential power humanity can jump overy some hundred of years!!!

mo.rizvi92 | 11 octobre 2016

I think Elon's planning something big. Maybe it's just me, but Tesla seemed pretty loud about 'pencils down', but after pencils down, we heard nothing from them. No type of update, no follow up, no clarification (besides a few short Twitter messages). We honestly don't know anything meaningful and concrete about the model 3 yet. They've pretty much left us in the dark for almost 4 months. Now out of nowhere, there's a product launch? A product that's "unexpected for MOST". So it's "expected for some"? Meaning it's gonna be pretty awesome, but nothing super crazy.

Tesla ordered enough parts for about 300 prototypes a couple months back. I have a feeling we might get a glimpse of those new prototypes and if we're really lucky,
I think we will finally get to see/smell/feel and hopefully drive the model 3 at our local Tesla gallery!!! Can't wait!

(Or I could be totally wrong, and instead Musk unveils a new Tesla smartphone, featuring the best camera on a smart phone, ever.)

I think Elon's planning something big. Maybe it's just me, but Tesla seemed pretty loud about 'pencils down', but after pencils down, we heard nothing from them. No type of update, no follow up, no clarification (besides a few short Twitter messages). We honestly don't know anything meaningful and concrete about the model 3 yet. They've pretty much left us in the dark for almost 4 months. Now out of nowhere, there's a product launch? A product that's "unexpected for MOST". So it's "expected for some"? Meaning it's gonna be pretty awesome, but nothing super crazy.

Tesla ordered enough parts for about 300 prototypes a couple months back. I have a feeling we might get a glimpse of those new prototypes and if we're really lucky,
I think we will finally get to see/smell/feel and hopefully drive the model 3 at our local Tesla gallery!!! Can't wait!

(Or I could be totally wrong, and instead Musk unveils a new Tesla smartphone, featuring the best camera on a smart phone, ever.)

Btw, sorry for sending the message 3 times, my iPhone froze up lol

Captain_Zap | 11 octobre 2016

I'll be looking for the new Roadster to be announced. We have been waiting too long.

tedirelan | 11 octobre 2016

I love that Elon has us all guessing. The man's a genius.

Ross1 | 11 octobre 2016

mo.rizvi92 | October 11, 2016
I think Elon's planning something big. Maybe it's just me

:))

Ross1 | 11 octobre 2016

Panasonic just announced new flexible batteries

http://newatlas.com/panasonic-flexible-battery/45860/

ram1901 | 11 octobre 2016

"....unexpected by most..."
The Tesla Semi-autonomous EV Tractor Trailer unveiling .. range ~650 miles .. 10 hours maximum driving time for big rig drivers ..with an agreement for overnight charging facilities at major truck stops across major highways in the US...complete with climate controlled sleeper cab. Designed by Tesla with agreement to be built by PeterBuilt.
:) yes... no... maybe...

Red Sage ca us | 11 octobre 2016

It would be surprising if it were announced there will be no more new Superchargers installed on I-10 or I-20 West of Sweetwater TX until at least 2018.

rachelmhellon96 | 12 octobre 2016

more outrageous ideas of what it could be hhttps://www.carkeys.co.uk/news/what-unexpected-product-is-tesla-revealin...

My money is on the aeroplane, imagine what would be included!

Octagondd | 12 octobre 2016

It doesn't seem to be PW 2.0 since Elon mentioned it in the latest blog update and it will possibly be included in the Tesla/Solar City presentation on the 28th. I doubt it is a major product since they usually have a large unveiling party for those things. I also doubt it is Tesla Glass since that is fairly revolutionary and would also seem to need a large party for unveiling. My best guess is an upgrade to the Superchargers in some way.

Pages