Forums

There Should be an Automatic Ban on Users Who Have Been Flagged Numerous Times

There Should be an Automatic Ban on Users Who Have Been Flagged Numerous Times

and on users who post the same thread numerous times. We don't need kitchen cabinet and watch ads and one owner's referral code.

lilbean | 21 mai 2017

and on users who post the same thread numerous times. We don't need kitchen cabinet and watch ads.

222 | 21 mai 2017

+1

Boonedocks | 21 mai 2017

+1 +1

KP in NPT | 21 mai 2017

+1000

mntlvr23 | 21 mai 2017

so wise for such a lil bean

lilbean | 21 mai 2017

:o)

DTsea | 21 mai 2017

+10

Goose | 21 mai 2017

Yup

David N | 21 mai 2017

you go girl!

rxlawdude | 21 mai 2017

+5

RedShift | 21 mai 2017

+100

SbMD | 22 mai 2017

Definitely!

J.T. | 22 mai 2017

I dissent.

What you are suggesting is mob rule in a venue where we are guests.

In addition, it doesn't take much to create duplicate handles, ask PBEndo, and a malcontent could then flag anyone multiple times and have them banned.

Understandable sentiment but the best solution is still the silent treatment.

AlMc | 22 mai 2017

Agree with JT: It can also be said that flagging individual posts consistently by an organized group can backfire on this site as well. You could end up with multiple groups of like minded people multiple flagging each other group's posts leading to total chaos on this site.

Ultimately, it would be better to have an 'ignore' function and have a little more moderation by the site administrators that could give out temporary or permanent bans.

johndoeeyed | 22 mai 2017

@AIMc
There is already an ignore ability provided by a forum member.

carlk | 22 mai 2017

Great idea. 1000% agree.

carlk | 22 mai 2017

To J.T. and AlMc. Do you want to go to Seeking Alpha even that you can ignore some of those extreme trolls? A very few of them could totally destroy an useful forum.

lilbean | 22 mai 2017

I also thought of the duplicate thread thing. Bottom line, moderation is needed.

SCCRENDO | 22 mai 2017

JT+100. @AIMc. Good point. Many owners act like they own the forum. It is not up to us to ban individuals. While some of Johndoes posts are non constructive they can be flagged to draw Tesla's attention to it. But there is no reason to ban him. he has the same right as anyone else to be here. It is not up to us to decide what can or cannot be posted here. Also we are unlikely to change anyone's behavior or personality on this forum.

J.T. | 22 mai 2017

@Carlk As usual I have no idea what you're talking about. This forum has had its share of extreme trolls and yet it still survives.

We don't need any more moderation, we don't need "more power to the people", we don't need a mindset of tar and feathering those we find objectionable. All we need is a modicum of self-control so that we can refrain from giving those we consider trolls the only thing they want: attention.

Threads like this only serve to inflate the egos of those who try to insinuate themselves in our discussions.

Don't take the bait, you cannot win with reason or with hostility. Every time someone responds to an objectionable post they lose the battle. The troll's raison d'etre is to goad others into responding. the weak of will and the weak of mind will not be able to resist.

Those who feel insulted by that last line deserve it. :-)

carlk | 22 mai 2017

SCCRENDO You probably do no go to the Model 3 forum. Talk a look at EaglesPDX's posts there that's probably what op is referring to.

lilbean | 22 mai 2017

Ok, I should delete this thread and repost it 50 times because I'm butt hurt and someone disagreed with me. LOL!

carlk | 22 mai 2017

"@Carlk As usual I have no idea what you're talking about. "

I'm not surprised of that at all. Not even that you have made a long post for things you don't understand.

carlk | 22 mai 2017

lilbean Good idea. Maybe that could finally make J.T. understand what I'm saying. Not easy but I'll do that.

RedShift | 22 mai 2017

Ignoring him hasn't worked, just pointing out. As soon as he feels slighted in another thread somewhere else, he comes back here with inane reposts. He had been ignored to page 4. He came back on his own.

KP in NPT | 22 mai 2017

Yep. His posts were all on page 4 with zero responses. He deleted them all and reposted, then claimed they were flagged.

We had discussed in a private thread that he didn't see that we would NOT flag them, and would bump posts to push them down. No way people dug to pay 4 to flag them. He deleted and reposted.

AlMc | 22 mai 2017

@lilbean: Your intentions were pure as are others thoughts of trying to police the forum but that is not really possible unless you have *moderator powers*,

This forum 'is what it is'.

All of us trying to identify the 'bullies (trolls if you like) and basically bullying the bullies really has little effect and has JT more eloquently pointed out just feed into their desire to disrupt.

SCCRENDO | 22 mai 2017

@carlk. Even though I have a reservation on 2 model 3s I don't go there often because the level of discussion there is pretty pathetic. But I did go there a few days ago. I see everyone complaining about eagles but it seems all his posts get flagged so I do not see them. Did see one the other day where he said that if he arrived at a supercharger at a hotel and plugged in at 10 pm he would not unplug until the next day. I tore into him and stated that I like to travel at night and if I arrived at a supercharger at midnight and all were hogged by people tucked in for the night I would not be too happy and if he became an owner he should leave his credit card on file for all those idling charges.

KP in NPT | 22 mai 2017

I don't think anyone on the 3 forum believes Eagles actually has a reservation, even though he claims he does.

ckcland2 | 22 mai 2017

Lilbean for President!!!

lilbean | 22 mai 2017

Haha, ckcland2! I was PTA President. Does that count?

carlk | 22 mai 2017

For his defenders if what Eagles is doing has not bullied the 3 forum almost out of its existence I don't know what has. Even for someone like me who just want to hit it back hard instead of running away are trying to avoid that forum now. Can't imagine how many other good people that were chased away by that pathetic jerk.

lilbean | 22 mai 2017

Oh but he has every right to post, right? Haha!

AlMc | 22 mai 2017

Who is defending Eagles Carl K? I see none of that. Just discussion of the usefulness of what people have proposed to do to try to create a better forum.

lilbean | 22 mai 2017

I agree, AIMc. There really is no way to police the forum without moderator powers.

SamO | 22 mai 2017

Any 5-7 of us have moderator powers.

lilbean | 22 mai 2017

You miss and love us?

Haggy | 22 mai 2017

"Tesla’s forum provides an online meeting space for owners and enthusiasts to exchange ideas that are entertaining, helpful and useful. We encourage you to participate and only ask that you be respectful of others. Don’t post messages that are obscene, vulgar, hateful, sexual in nature, infringe on the proprietary rights of others, or impersonate or misrepresent yourself or other individuals, including Tesla employees."

It has nothing to do with whether I like somebody or whether I disagree with somebody. I see no reason to ban anybody. But it's fair game for people to flag posts that are disrespectful to others. What that means is a judgement call, but that's why Tesla won't delete a comment simply because one person flags it. It takes more than that, and it works well enough that there are only a couple of participants whose posts get flagged with any regularity.

All I suggest is that those people be respectful of others. If it doesn't improve the conversation, it's probably best not to post it. If you think somebody might be offended, you are probably right and shouldn't post it. If you said it before, it's not adding value and if it's posted merely to argue with others, it doesn't belong.

I'm also annoyed by posts that argue back with a post I don't get to see because it was flagged. If you want to argue, don't flag it.

Although I have nothing against Johndoeeyed in general, it seems clear to me that nobody is benefiting from seeing yet another copy of an argument over pay per use. If the thread is deleted, there's nobody to argue with because the post you are disagreeing isn't there. If you don't agree with what somebody else said, then there's no value in reposting the part you disagree with. Given that I haven't seen a single comment thanking anybody for the repost, it's fair to say it won't matter whether I flag it or not. It will go away even if I don't waste my time because the community made it clear that it's not respectful to others and it adds no value.

I think we all have better things to do than flag threads out of existence, and if you leave them alone, they will stay out of your view of recent posts on their own.

carlk | 22 mai 2017

SamO
"Any 5-7 of us have moderator powers."

That's true. And lilbean is only proposing to extend that to permanent banning someone.

Haggy

It's not simple as just to ignore him. The Eagles's purpose is there to destroy any reasonable discussions there. I'm really surprised that he's not banned when some have attempted to call Tesla's attention of him.

J.T. | 23 mai 2017

@carlk You always cease to amaze me.

There is no incentive for Tesla to allow some members to decide who should be allowed to participate on this forum. Tesla receives no revenue from operating this forum but they do make some money selling cars, and banning people from participating just might turn them off to the company. It matters little whether or not jd or Eagle are owners, they are potential owners as are their families. If, in Tesla's judgement it does them no harm to allow fringe personalities to post here who are you to question it?

And let's go down your road for a second. Who would decide which participants should be banned? You? Are you the arbiter of all that's proper and acceptable? Also, what content should trigger a banning? A lot of people don't care for those who post about getting "taken" when Tesla rolls out a new price structure or product. What if some people wanted to ban them?

What if Tesla decided to ban anything negative about the car or company. That would probably suit a cheerleader like you just fine. Since Tesla can do no wrong anyone who finds fault must be wrong and should be banned, right?

I can only wish I can get to a point in my life where jd and Eagle are actual problems for me to worry about. It must be nice.

And, yes, it is as simple as just ignoring them.

SCCRENDO | 23 mai 2017

@JT +100

carlk | 23 mai 2017

Trolls and people with different opinions than us are two very different things. Troll has a single purpose which is to destroy you. Any forum has moderators for that simple reason they don't want the forum to be destroyed by a few guerrillas. And keep it in mind posters on social media are not always real people. Banning a poster on a particular forum is not the same as banning a person from speaking. He/she could always come back as a different poster that is more acceptable for the forum rules.

carlk | 23 mai 2017

Trolls and people with different opinions than us are two very different things. Troll has a single purpose which is to destroy you. Any forum has moderators for that simple reason they don't want the forum to be destroyed by a few guerrillas. And keep it in mind posters on social media are not always real people. Banning a poster on a particular forum is not the same as banning a person from speaking. He/she could always come back as a different poster that is more acceptable for the forum rules.

Captain_Zap | 23 mai 2017

Excellent points, carlk.

AlMc | 23 mai 2017

@CarlK: Following your logic there is no point in banning anyone as they can find a way of coming back as 'a different poster''.

Better to just ignore them. People truly trolling will troll someplace else if ignored.

carlk | 23 mai 2017

AlMc I'm surprised that you have not ignored me yet. It's not that easy to do don't you think? ;)

KP in NPT | 23 mai 2017

The trolls in question here - johndoeeyed and wagles - have been at it for long enough (years, and a year respectively) that we know their intention. Eagles is more nefarious than JD however.

J.T. | 23 mai 2017

And, pray tell, what damage has been done?

KP in NPT | 23 mai 2017

It depends on what you consider damage. Eagles intention is to spread FUD and turn people away from BEV. There is enough misinformation out there from the Koch brothers et. al. - many people come here to learn about tesla and driving electric and he purposefully sows confusion.

Did anyone die? No. but it doesn't comply with community guidelines to spread FUD about BEV on. BEV forum.

mntlvr23 | 23 mai 2017

... and it really mucks up the place when every time anyone uses the word "battery" in any of a few dozen threads, he cuts and pastes his same four paragraph battery fud into each and every one - same with his cut and paste AWD boiler plate which appears everywhere - or one of several other topics where he has a set piece that is written as fact based on something out of context, misunderstood, partial facts, old outdated facts, or just outright false.

It is like someone taking a crap on the street everyday right in front of your driveway - I don't own the street, I can choose to ignore it - but it's a shame that something can't be done about it

Pages