Forums

Will the Model 3 have self cancelling turn signals?

Will the Model 3 have self cancelling turn signals?

I don't know if the Model S already does this but my motorcycle does. Basically the turn signal turns off based on distance or time, whichever comes last. E.g. 100 feet or 15 seconds. That way if you turn on your blinker 75 feet before you reach the red light and sit there for 90 seconds, it will stay on till you've gone 100 feet. The reason I ask is because there seems to be no visual queue in your line of sight and the noise that blinkers make isn't loud enough for the blue hairs to hear. We may be seeing the famous Seinfeld "eventual left" quite a bit.

KP in NPT | 24 juin 2017

The S/X don't, so I doubt it.

dsvick | 24 juin 2017

It's a lot more necessary on a motorcycle where you can, more easily, forget that your blinker is on.

topher | 24 juin 2017

If you put the destination in the nav, it will turn them on *and* off. :-)

Thank you kindly.

NKYTA | 24 juin 2017

KP, well, technically my 2012 MS does have it. Just don't push it all the way down. Depending on how long you hold it, you can precisely get 1, 2 or 3 blinks. The 1 was the Wink back in the day IIRC.

KP in NPT | 24 juin 2017

@NKYTA yes, our 2015 does that - but I call tha at "Passing signal" - it allows for a shortened signal but I differentiate that from turning itself off automatically when fully depressed. I wish it did because I space sometimes. Old lady. ;)

JayInJapan | 24 juin 2017

I use @NKYTA's trick all the time.

KP in NPT | 24 juin 2017

tha at = that a

NKYTA | 24 juin 2017

KP, I'm older than you, lady! ;-)

Rutrow | 24 juin 2017

I'd settle for one that is silent while stopped, barely noticeable for the first few seconds when moving, then grows to a Bolero like crescendo if you leave it on for more than a block.

dyefrog | 25 juin 2017

The difference between the model S and model 3 is that you have a visual prompt in line of sight. The model 3 has nothing in front of you to show you that the turn signals are blinking.

KP in NPT | 25 juin 2017

That we know of. ;-)

topher | 25 juin 2017

"That we know of. ;-)"

And isn't *that* just the complete summation of our situation here.

Thank you kindly.

carlk | 25 juin 2017

"The model 3 has nothing in front of you to show you that the turn signals are blinking."

If you know to look you probably will never to let that to happen in the first place. I'm sure there will be indicators on the 15" screen in case you aren't sure if it's on but the car is very quite it's unlikely that you will miss the audible warning.

Ehninger1212 | 25 juin 2017

I hope not, sometimes I like to turn on what I call the "I'm eventually turning" signal. Leave my turn signal on for an excruciating and long 2 or 3 miles.. you know.. keep whom ever is behind you on edge. Then TURN when they have lost all hope it was ever gonna happen, slowly.

jordanrichard | 26 juin 2017

Dyefrog, you are assuming that they didn't put the blinker arrows in front of the driver, in that slot that goes across the dash. that is where the air vents are hiding, to there is nothing to say that all the warning lights and turn arrows aren't there as well.

JAD | 26 juin 2017

You actually have a wider field of vision than a taller one, so it would be easier to see the indicator slightly down and to the right from where you are looking than straight down and in the center where you are use to looking. I think you are creating an issue that won't exists for your brain after a day or two of using it.

PhillyGal | 26 juin 2017

Also more necessary on a motorcycle because there's no click you are hearing like from the inside of a car's cabin.

Nope, don't think it'll happen.

andy.connor.e | 27 juin 2017

If you pay attention to what you're doing, and limit your distractions, you wont leave your blinker on for the next 5 intersections.