Forums

Living in apartment and owing Tesla

Living in apartment and owing Tesla

We live in apartment and so far does not owe any house in US. Please suggest as to how can we charge the car at night? Does it have any provision of installing charging system in apartment unit with long cables till parking? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

mcchen | 27 juillet 2017

When I lived in an apartment, I charged my car at the local train station or city hall. They had free charging overnight, but I had to wake up early and remove my car before they towed or ticketed for parking too long.

JeffreyR | 27 juillet 2017

Use Chrome and search. Or go to OMC/FAQ in Model S section.
https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/tesla-forum-enhancement-suite-tfes...

eeb9 | 28 juillet 2017

First, ask your apartment management if they'd be willing to install chargers. More and more of them are doing so.

Second, download and use the PlugShare app to find chargers close to where you live or work

More chargers are popping up every day...

When I moved recently, I made charger availability a make or break criteria, and I was quite vocal about it when I spoke to managers and leasing agents. I ended up at a complex that not only has chargers...but they are FREE for residents.

Look around and you might be surprised at what you find

andy.connor.e | 28 juillet 2017

There are charging companies that you can issue an inquiry with, where the company will contact your apartment complex about possibly installing some stations on premises.

Or, another suggestion would be to figure out how to manage charging without relying on doing it overnight. Is there somewhere you can park while at work? Can you get a few bits and pieces during errands? Dont just put everything into one expectation of having a "charge overnight option". You can make it work.

carlk | 28 juillet 2017

If you have a designated parking space you certainly can install a 220V outlet or a HPWC. The other solution is to ask your employer to install the outlet so you can charge at work and use superchargers or other destination chargers in days you don't go to work.

Wilber | 28 juillet 2017

As part of the supercharger expansion plans for this year Tesla is building urban supercharging locations. One of the main purposes of these will be to serve renters. I plan to sell my house, but stay in the area. Luckily Tesla is building two new supercharging locations in my area. Take a look at the supercharging map on the Tesla website to see if there will be superchargers near you soon.

dgonch | 28 juillet 2017

I would first contact your landlord to see if he or she would allow you to install a charger. If they say no, I would then check local laws to see if you can install one anyway without their permission. For example, in California, you can install a Level 2 charger after 60 days of requesting permission from your landlord if the building is not rent-controlled and there are more than a minimum number of parking spots (I think either 6 or 10 or something like that). Lastly, check with your local utility. They might be providing rebates for EVSE installation. For example, LADWP gives you back $500 which covers about half the cost of the charger plus installation. Good luck!

jordanrichard | 28 juillet 2017

Wilber +1

MMHouston | 28 juillet 2017

My apartment building has a Level 2 charger installed. It was a pay charger at first, but now it's free. Unless you live across the street from a public charger, I would make sure to live in apartment building or complex with a charger. My Model S takes up to 12 hours to fully charge on a Level 2, so you need it close by.

CraigW | 28 juillet 2017

Apartment people -- the Model 3 75 is likely to have a range over 300 miles. This may be the way to go, then you can make a once/week trip to a supercharger.

mrquanhoangnguyen | 1 mai 2019

If anyone is still reading this post to find a solution, here is the solution for you. There is a company called Quick220 made a box to combine two 110V outlets into one 220V with 15amp or 20amp outlet. Read the Youtube video, and the link for that company is below.

https://youtu.be/BEyOZ842Tzs

https://www.quick220.com/blog/electric-car-charging-everything-you-need-...

jithesh | 2 mai 2019

+1 @dgonch

you need to start with your landlord.

I asked mine they politely declined saying there is not much demand in the community. But then I found other ways to charge mine. I don't drive to work so less miles. I just charge for free it in nearby Train station when the charge drops below 40%. It works so well with my office commute that I am not pursuing my apartment anymore. Occasionally I use supercharger also.

If you drive to work ask your employer.

mr.mark.tarver | 2 mai 2019

O own a model 3 Dual Motor performance. I live in a town home in Brooklyn, NY the nearest supercharger is at the Brooklyn Museum and the is another one in Williamsburg Brooklyn in a very high end hotel. I charge the Car every third to 3rd or 4th day. I drive about 56 miles a day Monday-Friday. Maybe another 25-35 over the weekend. So owning a Tesla without having a driveway or garage isn't impossible. You just have to Change the way you fuel up. In NYC You have to pay to park at the super chargers and they vary Greatly Museum 9 bucks over an hour. Williamsburg runs me about 11 bucks. If You go to the theater district they charge a whopping 48 Bucks. A Charge usually takes 45 to 1:30 Minutes Depending on how much I want to charge the battery. I usually get to 200 + Miles within 35-45 minutes. Once it gets over 200 it charges considerable slower. The Key thing I do is do something while I'm charging. Take the wife out for dinner and drinks- Hit the Cafe's go shopping. Etc. Superchargers are usually located near stuff like restaurants malls, Etc. So its not as convenient as fueling with gas, But I've adjusted my lifestyle and its actually not inconvenient. Its just a change in when and how I fuel my vehicle.

mr.mark.tarver | 2 mai 2019

O own a model 3 Dual Motor performance. I live in a town home in Brooklyn, NY the nearest supercharger is at the Brooklyn Museum and the is another one in Williamsburg Brooklyn in a very high end hotel. I charge the Car every third to 3rd or 4th day. I drive about 56 miles a day Monday-Friday. Maybe another 25-35 over the weekend. So owning a Tesla without having a driveway or garage isn't impossible. You just have to Change the way you fuel up. In NYC You have to pay to park at the super chargers and they vary Greatly Museum 9 bucks over an hour. Williamsburg runs me about 11 bucks. If You go to the theater district they charge a whopping 48 Bucks. A Charge usually takes 45 to 1:30 Minutes Depending on how much I want to charge the battery. I usually get to 200 + Miles within 35-45 minutes. Once it gets over 200 it charges considerable slower. The Key thing I do is do something while I'm charging. Take the wife out for dinner and drinks- Hit the Cafe's go shopping. Etc. Superchargers are usually located near stuff like restaurants malls, Etc. So its not as convenient as fueling with gas, But I've adjusted my lifestyle and its actually not inconvenient. Its just a change in when and how I fuel my vehicle.

michiels.evan | 19 septembre 2019

Check out my video on youtube about this issue...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7GyJH7-gfE