Forums

Acceleration shudder

Acceleration shudder

I'm starting to feel fairly frustrated that there still isn't a fix for the shudder the car does when accelerating quickly. Service center told me about 20% of model x cars have this issue and that they are working on a fix. Meanwhile it's been months and there still isn't a fix. Considering a spent my entire life savings and then some on a 120K car, I feel like it should be fixed within a certain amount of time or it should be replaced with a car that fits in the 80% group. (I love Tesla and this is my first negative thread. I still love my car, but I like to accelerate often and a car that shakes this much, or at all, while accelerating is not what I thought I was paying for. My shudder is bad!).

Your thoughts?

dmm1240 | 13 septembre 2017

Don't floor it from a full stop. Step on the accelerator and then ramp up after it gets going.

tommyalexandersb | 13 septembre 2017

I bought the 90D over the 75D specifically because the 75D wasn't fun enough for me to floor it from a complete stop. The point is I like flooring it and do it often, and the shudder is a acknowledged issue that should be fixed right? Would this constitute a lemon?

dmm1240 | 14 septembre 2017

I'm sure they will fix it. What I'm trying to do is to help you enjoy your car in the meantime. Another thing you can try is to set the suspension to low or even extremely low. Some have said that helps. Definitely don't set it to standard or above when you're out to play Fireball Roberts.

Just trying to help.

tommyalexandersb | 14 septembre 2017

Thank you for the help, and I do still enjoy it. The service center told me to try setting it to standard, because usually I have it set to low, but I'll try switching it up again. I can handle waiting, but considering it's already been months, I feel like if they don't have a fix within another few months, then they should replace the car with one that doesn't have the issue. (Wow I hate myself for complaining, that's Joe much I love Tesla! If it were a BMW I would be way more pissed. Hahaha!)

Triggerplz | 14 septembre 2017

I had the shudder on my P90DL they replace both front shafts about 10 months ago which fixed the problem and Im still shudder free

By the way I floor it from a full stop on ludicrous often

Thanks Triggerplz! I'll ask them if they can try that on mine!

They scheduled me for a test drive to show the technician on Monday and they do have the parts in stock incase they need to replace the front shafts. Gotta love Tesla service!

mathwhiz | 14 septembre 2017

You normally have your air suspension set to 'always low' and service suggested setting it to "low"instead? I would think that would make the shudder worse. That's what it does for me...

Anyway, let us know the outcome...

No, service center suggested I set it to "standard" instead of "low", which was what I usually set it to. However, the issue is the same no matter what I set the suspension to.

I will report back once I take the car in :)

PXChanel | 14 septembre 2017

I agree, I have shudder daily upon accelerating when car is "cold", meaning I have just driven off. My car has been set to standard suspension for past 6 months since I read on the forum that setting it to low would degrade my tires faster. If I have been driving it for a while, and then accelerate, I have no shudder. It is scary. It feels like car is going to break down, and by "accelerating" I mean increasing from 15mph out of my residential street to 40mph onto a medium traffic street, not a freeway, when the shudder happens.

tommyalexandersb | 15 septembre 2017

So I took @dmm1240's advice and set the suspension to low again, thank you! Shudder is improved, but not gone. Which is very odd because the original shudder started when the suspension was always on low. Hopefully it continues to be less drastic at the low setting. Still taking it in, because I'd highly prefer no shudder at all.

PXChanel | 16 septembre 2017

Suspension on low will wear tire tread faster. I'd rather have suspension on normal without any shudder. Will bring this to attention of SC upon my annual inspection coming up.

carlk | 17 septembre 2017

Strange I never got the shudder in my low VIN P90DL with everything original. I know the Tesla god always takes care of me.

PXChanel That's interesting. Could it be the tire pressure that did it? I can't think of anything else that could make the difference between a cold and warmed up car.

Tropopause | 17 septembre 2017

carlk,

Good point. In the Summer there's nothing to warm up on a BEV except the tires.

waterfun4sale | 17 septembre 2017

I know of a 2016 Model X owner that had a similar issue, maybe same or different, but could not reproduce in any other Model X, replaced all shafts without improvement. He described it as more a rapid pulsation of power reduction as opposed to a mechanical issue.

After extensive dialogue with Service, many of it apparently was aggravating for the customer and full of Tesla trying to "manage expectations", he eventually initiated a Lemon Law process.

Now he doesn't say much about his 2017 Model X, same color and layout, but he does have AP2, although not happy about it.

I guess you need to decide if you are willing to accept what may be a normal variant (20%) or could be a manufacturer defect.

This is an example of the risk of not having access to vehicle service independent of the automaker.

waterfun4sale | 17 septembre 2017

I know of a 2016 Model X owner that had a similar issue, maybe same or different, but could not reproduce in any other Model X, replaced all shafts without improvement. He described it as more a rapid pulsation of power reduction as opposed to a mechanical issue.

After extensive dialogue with Service, many of it apparently was aggravating for the customer and full of Tesla trying to "manage expectations", he eventually initiated a Lemon Law process.

Now he doesn't say much about his 2017 Model X, same color and layout, but he does have AP2, although not happy about it.

I guess you need to decide if you are willing to accept what may be a normal variant (20%) or could be a manufacturer defect.

This is an example of the risk of not having access to vehicle service independent of the automaker.

tommyalexandersb | 17 septembre 2017

Yes, if they can't fix it in a reasonable amount of time, I will be considering the lemon law route. Not sure how difficult that would be though...

zanegler | 18 septembre 2017

I am a huge fan of Tesla but I fear there will be no permanent solution. The talking points have changed from
'Engineering is working on a solution' to 'Some shudder is normal for this car, but it does it less on lower suspension settings'. Sub-optimal to say the least. I hope I am proven wrong. They have had well over a year to determine root-cause and devise a permanent fix.

Way more that 20-percent of 'X's have this shudder.....way more. I would venture an educated guess (I actually did a poll) that more than 80-percent have it to some degree. I would love to see anyone on this forum put their suspension on High or Very High, perform a maximum acceleration from a standing stop to 60, and report back no shudder.

ScooterJim | 18 septembre 2017

Took mine into service and asked if the shudder was normal. Technician said to leave the suspension on low if you are going to launch it. Put it in Standard for longer tire life. The reason is that the angle of the shaft from the motor to the wheel changes with the suspension height setting. The drive shaft is level when the suspension is in low. In Standard it is no longer horizontal, but slightly angled upward toward the motor.

tommyalexandersb | 19 septembre 2017

Took the car and test drove with a tech to show him the issue. Got the car back the same day. Here's what the description of work says, "Verified client's concern. Proactively replaced both front axle shafts and jack shaft to attempt to alleviate vibration under launch conditions. Please inform client that launching at high suspension settings will aggregate the problem on new shafts as well. Tesla is currently looking into a solution to this concern. Please inform the client that their vehicle is still safe to drive, and is functioning and performing as designed." So far no shudder, but I'm not going to try launching on anything besides the low setting.

As always, I was blown away by the Tesla service! Santa Barbara service center has their act together. I will miss my signature red P90D loaner! Wish they had taken more time with my 90D! Hahaha

Side note: The problem originally started at low suspension, when I switched to starndard it helped and slowly got worse on standard. When I switched back to low a couple days ago, the issue was dramatically reduced. It seems like switching the suspension helped in my case.

dnphung | 19 septembre 2017

I have a MX 90D and had the same issue...accelartion shudder at around 30-40 mph during quick acceleration. Took it into Tesla, they replaced the drive shaft, now it hasnt done that since.

Gwgan | 20 septembre 2017

P90D, no L. Half shafts just replaced, no more shudder, for now. Started at 10k miles, by 20k it was present at Low suspension. Launches happened rarely. Original response from SC was that replacing half-shafts was a temp fix and that it was not dangerous so they asked me to wait. That song changed after “escalation” to “a third rev. part which should solve it”.

dmm1240 | 21 septembre 2017

Took mine into service and asked if the shudder was normal. Technician said to leave the suspension on low if you are going to launch it. Put it in Standard for longer tire life. The reason is that the angle of the shaft from the motor to the wheel changes with the suspension height setting. The drive shaft is level when the suspension is in low. In Standard it is no longer horizontal, but slightly angled upward toward the motor.

Scooter,

That is the only explanation I've seen that looks even halfway feasible. Bet that is what it is and it probably is an engineer's nightmare to solve.

sandycraft50 | 21 septembre 2017

Replaced half shafts yesterday seems to have fixed the problem for now, I had the 90d in several times to address the shudder problems, was ignored three times saying it was normal,or Tesla was working on a fix, finally Tesla did something, Tesla only reacts with constant pressure. Very low in perfect, low is also great, I am afraid to try in standard.

lilbean | 21 septembre 2017

Shudder is normal? No. Just no.

dmm1240 | 21 septembre 2017

"Shudder is normal? No. Just no."

Of course not. Coming up with a fix is obviously problematic from what I can gather. It will come but not necessarily on your timeline.

TSammy | 22 septembre 2017

2 of the re-designed half shafts and a jack shaft installed in May 2017,,,

Shudder gone.

Prior to May there was no factory authorized, official fix. Then they authorized the fix that I received.

Prior to then, SC employees were told to have the driver use LOW setting when doing hard accelerations when possible.

Triggerplz | 22 septembre 2017

I have to disagree with prior to May there was no fix. I had the shudder problem so I had the half shafts replace around Sept 2016 the shudder is completely gone and it has not returned and I floor the ludicrous on standard often

MyXinTx | 4 décembre 2017

Bumping this for an update and current status.

I have same issue, even from 20-30 MPH to 50MPH keeping it under 300kW acceleration.

Service repeated the issue, worse in HIGH than STANDARD, even rattles the driver side FWD.
However, even though they confirmed I had the upgraded shafts, they still replaced them, but no improvement.

This was was not present on deliver this June, developed after 4500 miles.

No other MX I have driven since has this, but really doubt 20% of 2017 MXs have this.

If, no solution there is no way I will accept this condition for a vehicle costing over $100K, heck not even over one half that much.

I already ate thru a set of tires by allowing the vehicle to lower at highway speeds, thanks to increased camber, my prior MX, now I keep on STANDARD.

tommyalexandersb | 4 décembre 2017

Are you going to try to lemon it? Would be curious to know if that would justify a lemon.

paul | 4 décembre 2017

My 2017 X75 has started doing it quite a lot. I spoke with the service centre today, and they said it was definitely height related, and that it wouldn't happen as much on low. I keep it on standard normally.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread, hopefully a definitive answer will arise.

@MyXinTx you say that going low at highway speeds eats tyres? That sounds weird given that's the time when you should be lowering the chassis, right?

paul | 5 décembre 2017

@wolly actually lowering is supposed to have a couple of other impacts:
- lower CoG for better handling
- less (and faster) airflow under the car creating a lower pressure and better road holding.

Its not about drag. Sirry irriot :-)

inconel | 5 décembre 2017

Pay +1
And less bouncing when going over imperfections, less rolling in corners. My car is set to always low. I think replacing tires more often, maybe every 2 years instead of 3 or 4, is totally worth it for the daily enjoyment of better handling.

We used to have to replace the rear tires in the porsche TT every 10k miles and each tire costed $600 and nobody complained. Pay to play as they say.

inconel | 5 décembre 2017

Sorry Paul. Bloody auto correct.

Redmiata98 | 5 décembre 2017

I have mine set to lower at 50. I have 24k on my Contis and they are still well within specs and have yet to replace them. Maybe yours were out of alignment? I noted that they checked and reset allignment during my second service.

Tdreamer | 5 décembre 2017

Late September '17 X100D delivery - had the car in for another an unrelated problem at the Watertown MA SC and mentioned the shudder under heavy acceleration (car set to Standard with auto-lower at 50). They didn't ask for any info beyond my initial problem statement, and immediately stated they probably had the parts in stock to fix it that day. Two front half-shafts + jackshaft assembly later, the shudder is gone. This was at 3900 miles. I'm leaving the suspension settings as is (standard + auto-lower at 50). I figure Tesla can keep replacing the half-shafts if the problem returns (they said they hadn't had a repeat service call on this that they could remember), and I'll get better tire life.

Agree with others - the fact that this is still a problem with new deliveries is not good.

Kutu | 6 décembre 2017

My Model X had the half shafts replaced in August. It didn't totally fix the problem. Tesla will be replacing them again
after the new year.

Leli001 | 13 décembre 2017

I've had my MX 60D since Dec'16 and kept it at the low setting until concerns of inner tire wear led me to change the setting to Standard always over the summer. Since then, I've noticed the shudder problem appear and get progressively worse under heavy to max acceleration. Checked this thread in hopes there would be a permanent fix. Per @Tdreamer, I may contact the service center next month or so (expecting third child any day now so can't risk doing it now) for the fix, aka replacement.

@Tdreamer, in addition to the two front half-shafts, what is this jackshaft assembly you speak of? Do you have a copy of the service sheet that lists those?

Tdreamer | 13 décembre 2017

Here are the notes from the service sheet:

Concern: Customer states there is a vibration during acceleration from the front.

Corrections: Jackshaft Assembly - Front
Road tested vehicle, verified vibration under acceleration. Axles shafts are defective and
causing vibration. R&R both front axle shafts and stub shaft.
Refilled front differential. Road tested vehicle, vibration from front end no longer present.

JACKSHAFT ASSY, FR (1030632-00-A) Qty 1
NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W (1020297-00-A) Qty 2
WASHER SAFETY M24x39 (1020296-00-B) Qty 2
RVT PUSH-PULL 8X18X28.5 (1006535-00-A) Qty 1

Corrections: Front Halfshaft Assembly - Front - LH
Road tested vehicle, verified vibration under acceleration. Axles shafts are defective and
causing vibration.

HALF SHAFT - FRONT LEFT (1027111-00-B) Qty 1

Corrections: Front Halfshaft Assembly - Front - RH
causing vibration.

HALF SHAFT - FRONT RIGHT (1027115-00-B) Qty 1

tommyalexandersb | 14 décembre 2017

My shudder is starting to come back again? I’ve kept it in low and have been very careful to never accelerate hard in anything besides low. I’m getting frustrated now. I don’t want this issue to still be present once my warranty is up and have to pay out of pocket to fix this over and over again.

zanegler | 15 décembre 2017

I've all but given up on any permanent solution to this. I feel like I have been full-shafted on this half-shaft issue. I have had half-shafts replaced multiple times and all it ever does is reduce the vibration and as many have experienced even this reduction fades and it comes back in full-force. I have done polls on this forum, dealt with Tesla Regional Service Manager, had engineers from Fremont come to Rocklin to work on my car, and more. The end result is that I still have vibration on any setting, but less at the lower ones.

I support Tesla, I otherwise love my MX, and I am underwhelmed with this issue still being present.

I even tweeted Elon, with no response which is not totally surprising.

I just tweeted @elonmusk the following:

I'm on Team Tesla. Own an MX. I feel shafted on the half-shaft issue. Will the acceleration shudder ever be resolved? #MXSHUDDER

I know little about Twitter, but perhaps if others sent a tweet using #MXSHUDDER we might get some visibility?

tommyalexandersb | 16 décembre 2017

It’s unlikely he would see it unless he just happened to be looking when you tweeted it.

inconel | 16 décembre 2017

Isn't it already extraordinary that we would expect EM to reply? After all who would expect the CEO of Mercedes to reply to a customer tweet? And Mercedes CEO ONLY runs one company.

CCCHD | 16 décembre 2017

I have the same issue since April 2017. After an software update. My SC replaced twice the shafts but the shudder is still there. Now my center screen stopped working. You can imagine the mess, we have cold winters here in Luxembourg. Driving without heating etc. Yes it is a mess. But I see that almost all of us love their Tesla and are patient about having all issues solved. But honestly, @elonmusk, how long will it take to enjoy these great cars?

zanegler | 2 février 2018

Bumpage.

Pages