Forums

Why the annual service apmnt if warranty expired?

Why the annual service apmnt if warranty expired?

On my 2015 Model S, I have passed 50,000 miles. So my 4 year / 50k warranty is up. I have my annual service appointment at Tesla a month from now, and it's going to cost $750. My question is, what is the point of doing this annual service if my warranty is already up anyways? The main reason I did these annual appointments is because they were required to keep the warranty valid.

carlk | 5 novembre 2017

Annual service is not necessarily required for warrenty either. A problem will be covered unless it can be directly related to missing service items. For example a company can not refuse covering your air condition problem if you missed oil changes. My S is about to reach 50K miles too. I'll probably still take it in just not once every year. Something like every two years should be fine i think.

Should_I | 6 novembre 2017

You have service done because the car is an expensive complicated machine, and mechines need periodic service and inspection to indentify potential issues before they become big problems or in the case of alignment to maintain efficiency.
One of the 4year services is to change desicant and recharge the AC. If that has an issue and you overheat the battery because you failed to have it serviced that is on you.
Since you can't understand why anyone would bother with service I feel confident you aren't capable of mechanical inspection.

Silver2K | 6 novembre 2017

"One of the 4year services is to change desicant and recharge the AC. If that has an issue and you overheat the battery because you failed to have it serviced that is on you."

Tesla will still cover the battery if you don't do the service.

https://www.tesla.com/support/vehicle-warranty

Silver2K | 6 novembre 2017

my friend in the area has an 85d with 104k miles and has never serviced it. he got an email from tesla asking if they can take a sample of his coolant and has not heard back on the tests.

NHKIM | 6 novembre 2017

Silver is right, they will still cover warranty items.

NHKIM | 6 novembre 2017

Would be interesting to get a poll of some of the high mileage owners and see what kind of maintenance costs have gone into the car.

stevenmaifert | 6 novembre 2017

Elon said long ago they would honor the new car warranty even if you never brought the car in for service: https://www.tesla.com/Blog/creating-world%E2%80%99s-best-service-and-war...

However, if you purchase the Extended Service Agreement, Tesla requires you to have the car serviced at their recommended intervals.

Going without service is a gamble, and you miss out on important Service Bulletins.

Rocky_H | 6 novembre 2017

@brandonst, Quote: "My question is, what is the point of doing this annual service if my warranty is already up anyways? The main reason I did these annual appointments is because they were required to keep the warranty valid."

They already said long ago that they weren't required to keep the warranty valid.
As to why do them?
When I got the car, I did read through the whole manual. The service intervals were listed right there in the manual, and there are things to be changed at 2 years, 4, 6, 8, 10, etc. No maintenance things are listed for the odd numbered years, so I am confidently skipping those warm fuzzy feel good checks. But yes, you probably should do the even numbered years.

I see that they've changed the prices on the individual services again. The odd numbered years are now $475, up from $400 several months ago. The 2 year is $725, and the 4 year is $850. That's a little shift from the $700 and $900 they used to be.

Rocky_H | 6 novembre 2017

Here is the Tesla page with this info, by the way:
https://www.tesla.com/support/maintenance-plans

jordanrichard | 6 novembre 2017

Wow, a whole load of mis information being thrown around.

No, the annual services are not required to keep your warranty valid.

The AC system doesn't cool the battery down it cools you and your passengers down. The cooling of the pack is done via electric fans which are service/maintenance free. If one of the fans were to fail, it would give you an alert I am sure, but regardless, a failed fan would be covered under warranty.

NHKIM, I guess I qualify as being a high mileage owner with 98,000 miles on my Mar 2014 S85. Out of warranty work/repairs has consisted of 2 door pressure sensors and the onboard charger. there was also the replaced os 2 bushings in the rear associated with the sway bar, but I forget what they were called but I know they weren't sway bar links.

Also, "maintenance" and repairs are 2 different things.

I chose to do the annual services on the literal anniversary date of when I took delivery, regard less of what mile mark I was at.

TeslaTap.com | 6 novembre 2017

@jordanrichard - I agree with some of the technical misinformation. The HVAC does cool the battery if needed. It is used both for cabin and battery cooling. For example on a hot day, while Supercharging and no one in the car, the AC will be running to keep the battery within the safety zone. You may have also noticed on a very hot day, while pushing the car hard (up a hill and/or high speeds), the cabin AC may be reduced to keep the battery within the safe temperature range.

The fans in the front of the car are for the radiators of the HVAC system. There is no air/fan cooling of the battery. The only cooling is through a fluid piping system that is cooled by the HVAC system and flows through the battery, chargers, motor and inverter with some valving. It's an impressive design. It's one of the standout features that few other EVs use and is why often other non-Tesla EV batteries don't last all that long.

Now if the AC was not working, I believe the system is smart enough to greatly reduce the charging power to a level where the battery does not heat up as much and/or limit the vehicle's speed. It may be you can't charge at all if the battery is too hot and the AC is not working.

Tesla2018 | 6 novembre 2017

Is the AC the same as ln a regular car? I do most maintance myself since I can rotate tires and change a remote battery and windshield wipers and brake pads and fluid. Is their anything strange that can only be done on a Tesla besides updating programs and changing worn out battery packs?

jordanrichard | 7 novembre 2017

Tesla2018, If you are asking what more is there to these annual services, there are a whole lot of things done and most of it is thoroughly inspecting every facet of the car like checking the torque of the bolts holding the DU in place, checking for corrosion in areas where steel and aluminum come in contact with each other. For example the bumpers are steel and if any galvanic corrosion is noticed on the attaching bolts, they replace them. there are also service campaigns that are done. At one of my annual services they replaced not only the wiper blades, but the wiper arms to eliminate an issue with streaking. They also once replaced one of the battery coolant heaters with a newer design and bolts affixing the power steering motor.

So yes, one can skip these annual inspections/services, but there are things you will miss out on.

Rocky_H | 7 novembre 2017

@Tesla2018, If you can do maintenance yourself, you can reduce it to just on the 4 year intervals. The 2 year, 6 year, etc. in between involved changing the brake fluid, which is a common enough car thing you could do it. The 4 year, 8 year, etc. intervals involve changing the fluid in the coolant system of the main battery pack temperature controlling system, so I would not recommend anyone but Tesla doing that. And I think it is around 10 or 12 year that they change the gear oil in the reduction gear box, so that should also be a Tesla thing.

jordanrichard | 7 novembre 2017

The gear oil in the gear reduction box is synthetic ATF. So anyone can buy that at Pep Boys, but unless you have a lift, I don't see one easily doing anything under the car. Where are you going to place the jack stands if the floor jack is already on the only spot designed to have something pressing on it?

Tesla2018 | 7 novembre 2017

Is there only one spot to jack up each side of the car or are their spots near both the front and rear wheels? If you have 2 sets of ramps and two floorjacks then you could have all four wheels off the ground with a ramp under each and still have the jacks on each side of the car for safety. Or if the gear box is in the ftont of the car it might be possible to drive the car on to ramps and change it like doing a conventional oil change. But its probably easier to have the dealer do it. I changed my antifreeze a few times and it takes a long time and it is messy and a pain to fill up 5 gallon buckets with old fluid and bring them to the recyling center. And old transmission fluid smells like an explosion at a sewage plant.

rwestbrook1064 | 7 novembre 2017

I'm not coming to any conclusion that this pertains to any conversions... are there options maintaining warranty under a conversion condition? curious...

more time driving...

grins.va | 8 novembre 2017

@Tesla2018 - jack points are all identified in your owner's' manual.

Rocky_H | 8 novembre 2017

There's only so far I think it makes sense to push this, and I don't see the good of trying to contort yourself to avoid doing a proper service once every four years.