Forums

Uber & Lift Far Use Policy

Uber & Lift Far Use Policy

I posted this on the MS forum too. I am trying to reconcile the actual cost to Tesla for the Free Supercharging. After doing the math, I was amazed at the potential costs to TSLA. Here is my post:

Has anyone ever heard of the old adage, "A dollar a day, a million days, a million Dollars"? One day, years ago, I was thinking about saving a million dollars. So I thought to myself, how much would I have to save, each day, to accumulate $1,000,000.00. So I got out my calculator. I figured we live about 84 years. First, I figured to save from day one. I used 365.25 (Can't forget leap year) multiplied by 84. After adding it up, I was surprised to see that we only live 30,681 days. Needless to say, I had to put more away than a dollar each day. I write this, because when it comes to the Free supercharging, the math reminds me of the old adage.

Case in point:

If a Tesla is used as a Taxi/Uber/Lift/Business use between LA and Las Vegas for one round trip each day, then that car would travel about 570 miles each day, or 208,000 miles each year. The annual cost of the Electricity alone for this car would be approximately $8,322.00. This assumes $ .04 per mile electricity cost. With a lifetime warranty on the drive-train and 8 year warranty on the battery, the fuel cost expense to Tesla, on this one particular taxi (Which would only be driven 9 Hours a day) is a minimum of $66,576.00 (For 8 Years). That expense is just for electricity. It does not include warranties, battery replacements, drive-train replacements or the costs to operate a supercharger. Hey, If I were a taxi driver, I'd want that deal too!

Since most Superchargers do not operate on Solar or wind, and TSLA has to buy the electricity from local suppliers, can these number be correct? If they are, Tesla could potentially lose more than 100% of the value of the sale over 10 years. Since these high mileage vehicles are more prone to wear & tear, I would assume that they encounter more battery and/or drive-train replacements.

I welcome comments. I'm not trying to put TSLA down, just want to confirm if this could happen???

holidayday | 20 décembre 2017

well, Tesla just changed the policy for commercial vehicles (see: taxis, uber, lyft, etc). No more free ride on SuperChargers that were designed for long road trips.

jvs11560 | 20 décembre 2017

@Holidayday Long Distance was added to the policy about 2 years ago. Originally it was "Free for life". There were no restrictions.

TeslaTap.com | 21 décembre 2017

@jvs11560 - yep, I suspect it has already happened in more than one spot.

@holidayday - The policy is not retroactive. A smart taxi guy might drive 300K miles, dump the car and buy another used one that is still in the free Supercharger program. Plenty of used ones to buy.

It's not clear if Tesla can stop this practice. Bad for everyone but the taxi service :(

jvs11560 | 22 décembre 2017

If a Taxi Sevice, or Rideshare keeps their Tesla for at least 8 years, Tesla could spend more on electricity and warranty costs than the original cost of the car. Now that the policy is in effect for purchases past December 15th, why would a commercial use Tesla even consider a new one? Since fuel is one of their largest expenses, they will probably keep the car a lot longer. Some of these vehicles run 24 hours a day with multiple drivers. Tesloop MS has had its MS driven up to 17,000 miles in a single month.

sotien.c | 29 avril 2019

So please explain how will Tesla find out if I occasionally make some money (on weekends) by ubering? Now, how would they conclusively determine that I am ridesharing and not taking trip for business or pleasure on weekends or weekdays?

Btw I am not in favor of companies or individuals abusing free supercharging, but that is all I got, my apartment does not have ev stations, so that is all I can use. ANd if some of that mileage (20-30%) goes to ubering, am I banned from the network?

Vawlkus | 30 avril 2019

You can be throttled at Superchargers. That may happen anyway if you SC too much, since that can lead to battery degradation.

Your phone can Uber, but the cars built in wireless app will never allow other ridesharing apps on it.

TeslaTap.com | 30 avril 2019

@sotien - Can't see a way for Tesla to know, unless you tell them. Valkus is right about when you're using free Supercharger access, it would be a violation of policy, depending on how new your car is (2016+?). Doubt they are looking for violators, but if you make a big deal about it, I'm not sure what Tesla might do. They might have the right to cancel free Supercharging, which would seem fair. Supercharging was intended for long distance travel by the owner - not to make money off of it. Older cars didn't have this policy, and some are used as Taxis/Uber/Lift.

@Vawlkus - What built in wireless app?

Vawlkus | 30 avril 2019

Sorry, I mean the onboard computer. It has an App Store that isn’t open yet.

What I meant to type was “wireless AP environment”, and autoincorrect struck again. :P