Forums

Unable to connect to home wifi

Unable to connect to home wifi

My Tesla Model X is new car and its unable to connect to my home wifi.
Can anyone help me?

girishfall2010 | 30 mars 2018

Make sure you have a 2.4Ghz WiFi channel available on you WiFi router. I don’t think MX connects to 5Ghz WiFi channel.

Redmiata98 | 30 mars 2018

It does NOT connect to 5G.

dmm1240 | 30 mars 2018

I had connection problems. What I did was to dig an old Airport Extreme out of my old technology bin, used it to extend my WiFi network and placed it near a window close to where I park my X. The Tesla has no problems connecting now.

liftsrock | 13 juin 2018

Picked up my new MX yesterday and it will not connect to my Wifi . . . seems like I've tried everything. I guess if it won't connect, I'll just let it do its thing on the cellular connection.

jerryk | 13 juin 2018

@liftsrock

You need to make sure the signal where ever you park your car is real solid. On your phone or tablet it should be max when seated in the passenger seat (the antenna is in the passenger side mirror). Much less than this and you are going to have issues.

If you have a new car with the new MMU, it will work with 5Ghz and 2.4 Ghz, but 5G has poor penetration through walls and floors, so 2.4Ghz may be a better choice.

To make it work with my May 30 delivered X I had to add a new Wifi Access point in the room nearest the garage. Now, I can connect to either the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz channels. Prior to adding the new Access Point I could see the both SSIDs with 3/4 and 2/4 bars signal strength, but could not connect. It would just sit there spinning for a minute and then say something like "unable to connect".

Ohmster | 13 juin 2018

I was not consistently getting SW updates at home prior to changing my whole network (Netgear Orbi from Apple Airports). I had three Airport Extremes in the house and garage still had a spotty access. Now both vehicles have strong signals on 2.4 and are upgrading as they should. Love the tri-band, security features, and iPhone app.

'17 S75 & X75D: Uncorked AP2.5 18.21.9x2. Grin on!

Blueskies | 13 juin 2018

With my router in the garage 12 feet from the car I thought I'd update maps via WiFi, but despite my verified strong 2.4 signal- my laptop downloading simultaneous videos and loading news pages while in and around the Tesla- my X75D is challenged at best to connect to WiFi anywhere near as well as the cheapest devices I've owned. First Tesla service said it was mostly downloaded and how awesome new maps was gonna be. A couple days later I called back to be alternately told me everything was up to date and then that I needed to go to a Starbucks and use their WiFi. Still no new maps.

liftsrock | 14 juin 2018

Thanks jerryk. The Tesla Rep told me yesterday afternoon that I should do a "soft reboot" and that that should clear up the problem. I will try today and if it does not work, I'll try a range extender although my Wifi signals are good.