Forums

New upgrade for Roaster owner, Musk tweets at 6:56PM today / Engadget article

New upgrade for Roaster owner, Musk tweets at 6:56PM today / Engadget article

www.engadget.com/2014/12/25/Elon-Musk-teases-Roadster-update/

And here you thought only bad things happen on Christmas. Whereas most companies would avoid announcing good news on a day when no one is paying attention, Tesla CEO Elon Musk does things a bit differently. Musk just teased some news on Twitter about the company's Roadster line, saying a forthcoming upgrade would endow the car with a nearly 400-mile range -- enough to drive from LA to San Francisco without having to stop for a recharge. As you can imagine, one can only convey so much in a 140-character tweet -- Musk says he'll be back tomorrow with more details.

A tweet by Musk:

Roadster upgrade will enable non-stop travel from LA to SF -- almost 400 mile range. Details tmrw. Merry Christmas!

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/548257415536594944

FelixMendeldog | 25 décembre 2014

Bam!!!

jstack6 | 26 décembre 2014

The details with be like the best Christmas gift owners can get. Will it be free, low cost, include Super Charging, a new controller or even more ?

scotty2541 | 2 janvier 2015

"Will it be free, low cost, include Super Charging, a new controller or even more ?"

I speculate "No" to all of them.
Since the replacement battery for a Roadster is $35K, I can't see this being free. Or even the same cost as a regular battery.

The retrofit to use a Super Charger is way to invasive to the system to be a simple upgrade. I would imagine it's very complex and expensive, as the charging/discharging computer systems are tuned for the S, all of it would have to be re-engineered.

As for going from SF to LA, that's fine, as long as there is a place to recharge for the return trip. Otherwise, you're stuck. I am in that situation in TX. Even I could get the range to take a road trip to another city, I don't have any (easily accessible) charge point to make a return.

A Roadster compatible HPC would be a nice addition to the Super Charger network (said by me, many times).

Brian H | 2 janvier 2015

Still, the "return trip" mileage is increased by about 50%, too.

Kurolap | 8 février 2015

I still don't get it? How much will this cost the owners? They have to replace their battery?

DHrivnak | 8 février 2015

That my friend is the $64,000 question. I doubt it will be free or low cost. But if the cost is too high it will likely hurt Model S sales and EV'S in general. With the Nissan leaf having a price of $6200 the Roadster should be in the $18,000 range but that is a wild guess and no more.