I'm undecided on Tesla S yet, still doing extensive research.
I agree with most of you folks that Tesla is an exceptional car as far as the innovation (EV), design, acceleration, safety and stability go.
Luxury is another thing. I don't think that Tesla is a luxury car. Below is a long list of "luxury" and "advanced technology" features in the new MB S550.
Which ones does Tesla have? I think none.
Furthermore there is an honest opinion by Tesla P85 owner posted on this forum that I copied at the bottom confirming once again that Tesla's ride is anything but luxury.
************ //////////// ***********
• Heated armrests. Heated front seats and now even heated rears and steering wheels are moving down the auto food chain, so this was the obvious next frontier for luxury.
• "Hot stone" massage. To mimic a hot-stone massage, Mercedes developed a programmable system with 14 separately actuated air cushions in the seat back that can work with the electric heating. Folks who have a driver -- or who have really pampered kids or pets -- also can order this for their rear seat.
• Aromatherapy air. The "Air Balance Package" filters and ionizes cabin air -- and scents it in your choice of flavors.
• Woofers in the firewall, not the doors. In an M-B first, the bass drivers in the firewall that use space in the cross and side pieces as the resonance chamber. Three sound systems are offered.
• Mood lighting. Optional ambient lighting for the interior provides soft accents all around in a choice of seven colors to suit your mood.
• A throne in the back. Up front it's nice, but M-B also wants to sell the S550 in markets where buyers routinely have a driver. They can order from a choice of rear seat packages that offer reclining up to 43.5 degrees, a foot rest, cupholders that heat or cool, folding tables and heat, ventilation and massage in the seat. You also get, of course, your own climate and entertainment controls and screens. The recliner even gets a special air bag to keep the occupant from sliding under his or her seat belt in a crash.
• "Magic Body Control." The option uses cameras see imperfections in the road ahead and continuously adjusts the suspension to handle them. Allegedly S550 can drive over speed bumps at 25 mph without feeling it.
• Safety systems that may be smarter than you are. Mercedes says the car offers more than 30 standard and optional active and passive safety technologies it calls Intelligent Drive.
- Radar-based adaptive cruise control that also makes steering corrections.
- front collision system that can stop the car from up to 31 mph without your input and slow it enough to partially mitigate a crash from up to 45 mph.
- rear collision system that takes action to prepare the safety features if it sense a rear ender coming.
- system that senses cross-traffic with stereoscopic cameras and will hit the brakes.
- lane keeping system that steers. A blind spot system that will brake.
****************** ///////////// *****************
... my P85 feels like the MB on the Sport 1 setting. My Tesla is only one week young, but my wife would like a softer setting. You can feel the tar lines in the road through the seat. I like the feedback. After all it is a performance model.