Forums

Model S 85 Battery Warranty Replacement

Model S 85 Battery Warranty Replacement

I have a 2013 Model S and it failed back in December around 70,000mi. The SC replaced the original battery with a "loaner" battery until they get a permanent replacement for it, which they said could take 1-2 months. It's now been 6 months and there is still no timeline on replacement, every time I call they say they same thing - they don't know when the new battery will be shipped but they are "working on it."

Looking at some other threads in the forum I see this has happened to a number of owners.

My question is - aren't warranty replacements legal obligations? How is it possible that Tesla can replace a failed component with a "loaner" component and not provide a permanent replacement within a reasonable amount of time?

Bighorn | 15 mai 2018

What difference does it make?

SO | 15 mai 2018

Exactly! If anything, I’d want to use the loaner battery as long as possible.

MelaniaFromBrentwood | 15 mai 2018

Yep put 200,000 miles on the loaner battery.

They don’t have/make 85 batteries. Demand a 100 battery!!

akikiki | 15 mai 2018

Isn't the loaner battery behaving better for you than your original battery? I know the answer, 'cause I had one. So, why are you complaining when its better?

Tropopause | 15 mai 2018

That's like demanding to pay for your Starbucks when they are trying to give it to you complimentary.

Anthony J. Parisio | 15 mai 2018

One person on this forum got a new battery after over a year of using the loaner. So he has a five year old car with a new battery! That is a super win!

Silver2K | 15 mai 2018

They waiting for a pack from a totalled 85 to get parts, be patient

tom168 | 15 mai 2018

If I remember right, there is one person get a 90KW battery replacement since there is no more 85KW battery. So, as long as you have the loaner battery, just wait. :-)

pastorjimkuchera | 15 mai 2018

To have the HP battery fail is a winner. Mine 'failed at 50K miles, and was replaced with a brand new 85Kw battery for eleven months, and 20K miles. Got my original battery back and was able to charge to 261 miles. Since then there has been no degradation of the battery with charging at 80%, and recharging at 20%. The only issue has been with repeated requests to the service center about what was repaired, I have never received a response even though one was assured. Frankly, it doesn't matter since the whole process was smooth and professional. I couldn't be more pleased. Enjoy the loaner battery 'on the house'.

Silver2K | 15 mai 2018

Tom, that was a 90 to 100 replacement

jordanrichard | 16 mai 2018

Where is it written that Tesla has to replace your warrantied item within “x” amount of time. You were not left stranded, menaing your car is just as functional as it was before. So, what are you “out” by having a loaner battery. Instead of a loaner car, they gave you a loaner battery. Put the miles literally on thier dime.

Haggy | 16 mai 2018

The only possible inconvenience I see is that if you plan to sell the car, you don't have a battery that you own. If that did happen, I'm sure Tesla would agree to work something out.

StevenHou | 16 mai 2018

Can you please share why you required a battery replacement? I have a 2013 P85 and it is experiencing significant battery range loss, mostly while parked. Preconditioning is turned off. I'll charge the car to 200 miles of range and then be lucky to get 130 miles of actual driving. I tend to lose about 60 to 70 miles of range on a 200 mile charge over the course of a few days. Per Tesla tech support, I am averaging 475 watts per mile for the past 30 days, while the car itself shows use of about 335 watts per mile. I'm no engineer, but to average 474 watts per mile I would assume that I would have drive 100 miles per hour even in school zones and fast food drive thrus. For example today I drove 20 miles and lost 38 miles of range. Tech support's answer at the moment is that I must be driving the car really hard...which is nuts. I have averaged 335 watts per mile for over 5 years. Any of this sound familiar??

Bighorn | 16 mai 2018

@Steven
Do you have overheat protection on? That will run the air con frequently in hot/sunny situations. 100 MPH uses about 400Wh/m.

StevenHou | 16 mai 2018

Overheat is on, but Houston in March/April is roughly 70 degrees so overheat is not the issue. Also, car is garaged all day and night. If 100 MPH uses 400Wh/m I would like to think Tesla Techs would realize it is absurd to suggest I am using 475 average for 30 days.

jordanrichard | 17 mai 2018

StevenHou you start off stating that you are losing a significant amount of range sitting overnight, yet didn’t give an example of that loss.

kenperry5 | 2 novembre 2018

I have a replacement battery for 10 months now which is fine with me but I want to sell my car. I am getting no answer from Service when the battery will be replaced and Sales is silent on what to do about selling the car with a loaner. Has anyone had this problem and did they get any support from Tesla? All I am getting is the silent treatment from them.

Bighorn | 2 novembre 2018

@ken
Loaner program is being phased out. Just sell the car.

akikiki | 2 novembre 2018

Yeah, just sell the car. As a matter of fact brag to your new buyer that you car has a better battery than when you bought it. (I did.) It is a better battery. Besides, unless you put it on top of a rocket and blast it into space, Tesla will know how/where to find it in case they decide to swap it back.

samartra | 25 mars 2019

Tesla Model s 'System Failure Please pull over safely'. That's what I got this morning on the way to work. Total loss of drive power and coasted to a stop. An hour later the whole car shut down.
Does anyone know if this sounds like the main HV battery pack failure or could it be the small 12v battery?

TeslaTap.com | 25 mars 2019

@samartra - No, not the 12v battery. Even if the DC-DC converter failed (which charges the 12v) you'd still have drive power and warnings would give you much more time to deal with it. The fact you had a total loss of drive power indicates a pack problem. At that point the 12v is no longer charged, and after an hour the 12v battery was drained (no longer being charged by main pack). Now the 12v battery may need replacement, but it's not the cause. Good luck!

samartra | 25 mars 2019

Thanks TeslaTap, exactly my thinking but just wanted some reassurance while Tesla diagnose and get back to me. Read a few horror stories about it taking months to get replacement packs though!!!!
Mine is a P85 2014 car. Does anyone know what they might replace it with now???

NKYTA | 25 mars 2019

A refurbished 85 pack most likely. It shouldn't take them long to acquire one. I got mine HVB replaced on a road trip. Just a few hours to "swap".

samartra | 25 mars 2019

Does refurbished mean they put new cells in it or will it be part used?
I know Tesla have a different view on what's new and used to the rest of us, so it does concern me!
I don't want a part used pack that is going to fail again in a year or two again!

Tesla normally replaces used packs with a refurbished pack that has less use than your current pack. Yes, it would be nice to get a new pack, but that rarely happens.

Some users have also gotten a loaner pack, while Tesla ships your battery back to the factory for repair. This often takes 6 months or more, but you're using Tesla's battery in the meantime. This is actually a good thing, as you're putting wear & tear on their pack, while you're pack is not being used.

My guess is you'll get your car back in less than a week.

Also pack failures are rare. They do happen, but I'd estimate it's well under 0.1% of cars have a pack problem over the warranty period (8 years). I wouldn't be worried about a second pack failure for the rest of the life of the car, no matter which option Tesla chooses.

Bighorn | 25 mars 2019

@samartra
Could be as simple as a failed fuse, not the kind an owner replaces.
Loaner packs are supposed to have a similar capacity to what was replaced though I gained 27 miles with mine though I’ve heard of others having less capacity. The loaner program was supposedly ending last summer, though I imagine you could argue for getting your pack back if you lost out on the deal.

vlad22 | 25 mars 2019

The battery pack on my p85dl failed in may of 2015. They installed a loaner pack and shipped mine back to the mothership. Almost 4 years later i haven't heard anything about getting the original one back. The loaner seemed to be just as good though. i may ask for mine back just before the 8 year warranty runs out :)

samartra | 26 mars 2019

That's a lot of messing about and work Tesla are creating for themselves. Surely it would be cheaper for them just to stick in a new pack they know works. The new 100kwh pack is supposed to be the same physical size and must be cheaper than fault finding, reconditioning and shipping around the world several times an old pack. Established traditional car manufacturers simply replace warranty items with new components, even the whole combustion engine if that fails... they don't even think about trying to fix component level stuff. Tesla following good established best practice in the industry and maybe you'll start to make some profit... please!

On another note, while Tesla are playing with my car, they've given me a self driving Volvo V90 to run around in. I have to say the self driving is just the same as in a 2018 Model S. Works a treat. Also putting diesel fuel in it only take fives minutes and it'll run for 500 miles. That's a lot of range for little effort and time....this could catch on! The only downside they tell me is a bit of global warming.... in cold northern England that doesn't sound so bad :-)

Bighorn | 26 mars 2019

@samartra
I guess you missed where I said the battery loaner program was phased out. Tesla has some of the highest gross margins in the industry—probably don’t need arm chair quarterbacking from someone who appreciates the smell of diesel in the morning. You do realize you don’t have to watch the plug? Two seconds when you get home and 3 seconds when you leave in the morning. And you don’t need to wash your hands every time. I’m sure Geely’s Chinese plants are maintaining Swedish standards that used to make Volvos the safest option for your family, before Tesla came along.

tes-s | 26 mars 2019

"The new 100kwh pack is supposed to be the same physical size and must be cheaper than fault finding, reconditioning and shipping around the world several times an old pack."

Nope.

"Also putting diesel fuel in it only take fives minutes and it'll run for 500 miles. That's a lot of range for little effort and time....this could catch on!"

Nope.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/31/booster-a-fuel-delivery-start-up-used-by...

samartra | 26 mars 2019
samartra | 26 mars 2019

Thanks Big, it was meant tongue in cheek. I've been in a Tesla so long now, 2014 car, having a diesel car is like new technology to me. Interesting that they've got autopilot running just like Tesla now.
Tesla has done fantastic things jumping the industry forward in both electric cars and driver assistance technology. It's good to see such an impact and progress from something we've helped support and promote over the years.
Have a great day

samartra | 26 mars 2019

Battery and drive unit 8 year warranty on model S. Does anyone know if the fuse, switches and all connecting parts between the battery and motor are covered under this warranty?
I would expect it is since they are key parts to the long term reliability of the car just like the battery and drive unit themselves, but does anyone have any experience of this?

Bighorn | 26 mars 2019

In general, I’d say that the connecting parts are not covered for 8 years.

hammer @OR-US | 26 mars 2019

@samarta My interpretation is that 8 year warranty covers only the drive unit and the battery and the components housed within those assemblies. For example, there are fuses, contactors and control boards within the battery housing, those are covered. The wiring, contactors, and fuses outside the battery are not.

jordanrichard | 26 mars 2019

samarta, no, the fuses and such wouldn't be covered. When you buy say a Hyundai with that 10yr/100,000 mile warranty on the engines/transmission, it doesn't cover the alternator, power steering pump, etc. Basically anything external to the component be covered, is not covered.

ST70 | 27 mars 2019

@vlad22- what's the part # of your replacement battery?