Forums

How do you turn off A/C on one side ?

How do you turn off A/C on one side ?

My wife hates air conditioning but I like it. Is there any way to turn off the air on the passenger side of the front seat area? Seems strange that you can’t considering that manual vents can be closed on cars of far simpler tech.
Anyone? I’ve tried simply redirecting the air to the corners and edges of her ״zone” with no luck. The air keeps deflecting against something and then reaching her. Very frustrating

dalesmith1962 | 7 juillet 2018

Each side can be controlled separately. Have you tried turning the temperature on her side way up?

CalabasasKid | 7 juillet 2018

Temp isn’t so much the issue as is the fact that air is blowing on her which is an irritant. I just can’t believe the car lacks the ability to seal the vent in one of the two front zones.

Bated Breath | 7 juillet 2018

Looks like she will be riding in the back seat.

Sslnight | 7 juillet 2018

I asked this question to Elon and Tesla on Twitterbut no response. It does not bother me that much as i just need to set temps appropriately but i can understand how it could bother someone.

ravisundaramam | 7 juillet 2018

Well looks like there is no choice. Please find a wife compatible with Model 3.

Sslnight | 7 juillet 2018

@ravis lol!

@cala The best thing i can think of is set the temp on that side to an acceptable temp, split the air and move it extreme above so it misses her. Hopefully we will get a way to stop the air via update or maybe an aftermarket cap of something. Best of luck!

idoggmd | 7 juillet 2018

Did you try pushing the little icon that shows 2 vents? Maybe that will turn the air off the passenger side.

EVRider | 7 juillet 2018

Don’t think you can completely turn off just one side, but you can adjust one side so that the air doesn’t blow directly on your wife.

mntlvr23 | 7 juillet 2018

like with many things, the answer might be duct tape

My guess is that she likes A/C but just doesn’t like it blowing directly on her. Turn the A/C off in 90 degree weather and she’ll probably be begging for it to be turned back on. LOL

If she dislikes air blowing directly on her buy her a face shield and get her to wear long sleeved shirts and long legged pants.

If she just dislikes cold air blowing on her then adjust the temp on her side until the air blowing on her is no longer cold but rather “room temperature”.

Maybe someone will eventually build an aftermarket solution like a piece of material that will snap in front of the dash slot to divert the air to the driver’s side. Keep your fingers crossed.

robert rogus | 7 juillet 2018

@mntlvr23

Duct tape on the wife or the car?

mos6507 | 7 juillet 2018

So much for the triumph of innovation of the Model 3. Duct tape and aftermarket solutions...

The design should be updated to allow turning off the damn air on one side.

mntlvr23 | 7 juillet 2018

@bbrogers - one or the other or both (but then again, just the wife would be less damaging to the car)

poor mos, sad life apparently

lilbean | 7 juillet 2018

You could put her in the back seat and point the vents away from her.

lilbean | 7 juillet 2018

And the duct tape can go on her mouth.

CalabasasKid | 7 juillet 2018

Boy, tough crowd. She’ll be delighted with all the recommendations

billlake2000 | 7 juillet 2018

lilbean, I think you are feeling particularly feisty today. nice...

lilbean | 7 juillet 2018

Haha! :)

globalMan | 7 juillet 2018

"...If she dislikes air blowing directly on her buy her a face shield and get her to wear long sleeved shirts and long legged pants...."

One would have to resort to that kind of remedies only if he/she is buying a $200 bicycle.

djharrington | 7 juillet 2018

+1 Ravi +1Lilbean

If neither of those work, just aim the air away from her.

vikiw | 7 juillet 2018

The man is asking for answers and realistic solutions, people.

djharrington | 7 juillet 2018

@vikiw: and he got them: No way to turn off, and to aim away or set temp differently to minimize effect. Calabasas has been in the forum long enough to know that most threads include a mix of jokes and real suggestions. I’m thankful for the sense(s) of humor here.

@gllivyl
“One would have to resort to that kind of remedies only if he/she is buying a $200 bicycle.”
——
Obviously not as the current Model 3 also applies. At least until there is an option to turn off the air flow on one side only.

Now, if you had said “should”…

gadget63 | 7 juillet 2018

you may have to wait for the updated wife 2.0

@mos6507
“So much for the triumph of innovation of the Model 3. Duct tape and aftermarket solutions...”
——
How often have you bought a piece of electronics that was perfect or even acceptable in every aspect of its design and construction? For me, that would be zero times.

There is always at least one aspect that seems to be a fail. It’s usually not enough to deter me from buying. And when on the cutting edge it’s even more prevalent.

People fifty years from now suffering through the ravages of climate change will have no sympathy for our little nitpicks that dissuaded us from adopting clean tech sooner rather than later.

I’m prepared to suffer through minor inconveniences now to reduce the sheer hell for people in 2050.

PHoward410 | 7 juillet 2018

Would be great if you could set a % of airflow for each side (e.g. 80% Driver 20% Passenger).

lilbean | 7 juillet 2018

+1 dj

billlake2000 | 7 juillet 2018

80% duct tape over face equals 20% airflow reaching passenger. Picture it.

Patrick | 7 juillet 2018

FWIW I just spent an hour or two getting to know (and test drive) the M3 with a neighbor who took delivery today in Tampa Bay.

I was impressed with the flexibility of the front air vent controls - the solution might be as simple as selecting the two-icon air control icon on the passenger side and then setting the vents to blow high and in opposing directions. As I recall I didn't feel hardly any AC when doing so....

hokiegir1 | 7 juillet 2018

I'm not a fan of the air blowing on my face, so I keep the vent split, and down and to the outsides. Keeps me plenty cool enough without blowing in my face all the time.

jym626 | 7 juillet 2018

Took delivery today. The advisor showed us how to adjust to top, middle and lower vents, but I am on overload and forget where within the a/c (fan) icon setting it is. Sorry

Gregg Ray | 7 juillet 2018

jym626
I watched a video that showed slider buttons on the screen where you could direct air flow and even turn off on side or the other, pretty simple.

At the 35 minute mark

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#sent/QgrcJHrnvDkXqQvstRdbjnJfKnksRNgdr...

Gregg Ray | 7 juillet 2018
stevenmaifert | 7 juillet 2018

The OP knows how to redirect the air. He's asking how to shut it off completely on one side. In the absence of vent louvers, I don't think it is possible short of physically blocking the airflow with something like a folded towel stuffed in the vent.

Xerogas | 8 juillet 2018

This is the closest I've gotten: try to see if these settings help https://imgur.com/K1XAW8x

I can't feel any air hitting my face when sitting in the passenger seat