Forums

cooling pump noise

cooling pump noise

Noticed after a few days that it seems like the pump attached to the cooling system has gotten much louder and runs constantly. Anyone notice the same thing? sounds kind of like a tiny air compressor under the frunk.

jamespompi | 24 août 2018

Anyone else with a similar diagnosis?

40milecommuter | 24 août 2018

Yes. Just started hearing this last week after owning the car for 8 weeks. Sound coming from drivers side frunk compartment area. Sometimes runs for hours, other times it's silent. Don't know if this is normal.

Thanks for the confirmation. Ive only had mine 8 days, but it def wasnt doing this the first few days. I'm going to call service this afternoon.

40milecommuter | 24 août 2018

Let us know what you find out.

djharrington | 24 août 2018

Hi James. Sort of a ticking noise that is always going unless the car is sleeping)?

amanwithplan | 24 août 2018

The manual on page 91 mentions, "Because Model 3 runs much quieter than a gasoline-powered vehicle, you may notice the sound of the air conditioning compressor as it is operating. To minimize noise, reduce the fan speed."

https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model%203%20Owners...

djharrington | 24 août 2018

James, you’re on my twitter feed. If you’d like, PM me there and I will send you a video file if you’d like to verify it’s the same sound. One of my two coolant pumps started making a rapid ticking noise after a couple weeks of ownership back in Feb. I verified the part by removing the frunk liner and stethoscoping it, as well as unplugging it. Tesla serviced it and it has been perfect since. At the time, that pump was on revision G and replaced with H.

I don’t think its the A/C compressor.

@DJ I just PM’d you via twitter with a pic/ through explanation. Gotta be the coolant circulating pump. I’m guessing its functioning fine cause service over the phone didn’t see anything, just an annoying sound that wasn’t there before. but I’m bringing it by in the AM.

jamespompi | 25 août 2018

Techs claimed that they always run that loud, which I don't think is true, so they said they'll do a through diagnostic and call me later. So I basically drive an hour for nothing, but at least I have my EAP trial

djharrington | 25 août 2018

For me it went from not hearing the pump (fans you’ll hear, sure), to hearing it constantly, and not like a pump should sound. It was similar to like cyclic solenoid at ~5 Hertz. Once they performed the service, I never heard it again. I sent you a video I made back then that captured the sound so you can compare.

leo.moneymaker | 13 juillet 2019

hi i have exactly the same problem with my tm3 is it fixed at Tesla or kept it up by itself, use a lot of power too, i have only had my for 14 days, Tesla can see what is over the air maybe