Forums

Windows Open Themselves

Windows Open Themselves

A few months ago I reported that a couple of times one of the rear door windows opened partially when closing the driver's door. Tesla must have been monitoring the forum because I got a phone call from them asking for more information. The conclusion was to wait until it happened again and call back in.

Several months have passed without a recurrence. Until today.

All windows were closed when we left the car in the driveway last night. This morning, in the pouting rain, I noticed the driver's side rear window was open about 2-3 inches. I surely would have noticed if it was open the evening before when I plugged it in ... well before it got dark.

I have no idea what triggered it, but I'm glad we don't have cloth seats. The floor mat will dry in time.

Has anyone else seen this happen?

Jones | 2 octobre 2018

Happened one time to me right after I got the car. Also drivers side rear window. I chalked it up to some sort of newbie inexperience. No repeats (though I have only had the car for 30 days).

SteveWin1 | 2 octobre 2018

I had this happen to me and it ended up being an issue with the window that required Tesla to replace one of the parts in the door that controls the window. It was a front window, which is supposed to roll all the way down. After noticing that the window was cracked open slightly, I tried rolling the window all the way down and it wouldn't go down all the way -- it stopped maybe a half-inch too early. Roll all your windows down and make sure they're symmetric left-to-right. The back windows don't roll down all the way but should stick up the same amount on the right and left, and the front windows should both roll all the way down. If this isn't the case, I'd schedule an appt with your service center to have it looked at.

staze | 2 octobre 2018

It's a service bulletin now. They all likely repair when you take your car in next. I just had my wife's M3 in for some delivery fixes and there were 2 pages of service bulletin fixes. One was to replace two window parts. I don't recall which ones.

KamiTesla | 16 juin 2019

This morning I came out of the house to walk the dog and the passenger side window was slightly open. This is the 3rd time I've come back to the car and a window was open. I'm really worried there will be a rain storm and if it's been opened (during an update?) that my interior will be Ruined. The first time it happened was after a baseball game where are car was parked in an open parking lot and ardor on the driver side was open. I was really afraid that there was something still want to have the car but luckily everything seemed to be still in place but it scared my son and all of us.

KamiTesla | 16 juin 2019

This morning I came out of the house to walk the dog and the passenger side window was slightly open. This is the 3rd time I've come back to the car and a window was open. I'm really worried there will be a rain storm and if it's been opened (during an update?) that my interior will be Ruined. The first time it happened was after a baseball game where our car was parked in an open parking lot. We got back to the car and the door on the driver side was open and passenger window was open. I was really afraid that something was stolen but luckily everything seemed to be in place. It really scared my son and all of us.

Magic 8 Ball | 16 juin 2019

@KamiTesla Nothing to fear and easily solved by tying a string around your finger to remind you to look around the car before you leave it to make sure the windows are all rolled up and you did not accidentally roll them down while opening the door.

Lonestar10_1999 | 16 juin 2019

@Kami - if you feel the window is malfunctioning, this is addressed in the manual:

Calibrating Windows
In the unlikely event that a window behaves unexpectedly (touches the bright molding, fails to open or close properly, goes down more than normal when the door opens, etc.), you can calibrate it to potentially fix the issue.
To calibrate a window:
1. Close the door with the affected window.
2. Sit in the driver's seat and close the driver
door.
3. Use the driver window switch to raise the
affected window until it stalls.
4. Use the driver window switch to lower the
5. Use the driver window switch to raise the
The window should now be calibrated. If the issue continues after attempting the calibration procedure a couple times, contact Tesla.