Forums

Browser, manual, and software release notes not working (no content, entirely black)

Browser, manual, and software release notes not working (no content, entirely black)

A few weeks ago, the web browser on my Model S 75D completely stopped working. The window content area where a web page should be displayed is entirely black (the bar with URL and arrows is there, and I can type a URL, but there's no content displayed underneath).

The online manual and the software release notes are also entirely black; presumably they're being displayed via the browser.

Internet connectivity is fine -- the map works, music works, software updates work, and I can access the car from the iPhone app.

I've tried both hard resets (with the brake pressed) and soft resets (with the brake not pressed) numerous times. After one reset, the browser came back for a short while but then it disappeared, never to be seen again.

I had hoped that software update version 9 would fix this issue, but no luck.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

murphyS90D | 13 octobre 2018

Make an appointment at a service center.

mspector | 13 octobre 2018

Yes, I plan to call the local Tesla service center, but I wondered if anybody else had seen this problem or had any information about it.

murphyS90D | 13 octobre 2018

I think the release notes do download from a server when the window is opened. There is a significant delay after the window opens before they show up in my car.

Does it happen when the car is at a location where there is a good cell signal, like right underneath a cell tower? If it works there it could be an indication of a problem with the antenna.

mspector | 13 octobre 2018

Thanks for the info. The web browser fails to display anything at all, whether I'm on wifi or LTE. (There's no indication that it's even trying to load the web page.)

So I don't think it's an antenna problem. Also, streaming music/radio (both wifi and LTE) and software updates (wifi) work fine.

If this happened on my computer, I would clear my browser's cache, and, if that didn't work, check browser preferences.

Does anyone know how to clear the Tesla browser's cache?

(I've tried both hard and soft resets. I haven't tried the factory-default reset, since I don't want to have to reconfigure the garage door opener, which was a pain to set up.)

Bighorn | 13 octobre 2018

You can clear saved nav destinations individually. Service will do this sometimes to free up space, but I've not heard of this issue.

koronis | 17 octobre 2018

This has happened to me a few times after firmware updates. Doing a reset fixed it for me each time. (holding brake pedal down and keeping both scroll buttons pushed on steering wheel until Tesla logo appears)

joelitz | 23 novembre 2018

Hello. I am having the same issue and have a service appointment for a couple weeks from now but wondering if there has been any updates from the OP. Thanks!

FreddyC10 | 24 novembre 2018

I have the same issue. It doesn't happen all the time though. I usually just let it go and at some point it all comes back on for a while. If I need the browser, I will do a reset and it will work for a while. Usually, until the next time I charge or the next time the car goes to sleep. It started happening with the V 9.0 update.

pgabriel | 19 décembre 2018

Same here on my S75D. I took it to service center and was told it would be solved in the 2018.48 release. I got both 2018.48.1 and 2018.48.12 and neither solved the issue. Not annoying enough to make a separate service appointment for, but will mention next time it’s in for something else.

bruno.gubler | 29 décembre 2018

Same here in P100DL also with 2018.48.12 and all set in Language German (Switzerland

EVRider | 29 décembre 2018

@philippe: Another service appointment won’t help. It’s a software issue, most likely a problem with the browser, so it can only be fixed by a software update.

dougk71 | 4 janvier 2019

I have the same problem 2018 S100D v9 software..strong WiFi signal WiFi is connected but neither the on screen manual or the browser work.

dougk71 | 4 janvier 2019

Ok there may be a pattern. A web browser is open using LTE. The car enters the garage where the home WiFi makes a connection and the LTE is dropped... maybe when making the WiFi connection the car neglects to close the LTE session..freezing the browser and the manual since both need web connections.
Knowing from Tesla what the car is not supposed to do or do w.r.t WiFi and LTE might help diagnose this.

dougk71 | 4 janvier 2019

Well my Tesla S100D delivered Dec 29 2018 just in time for the max tax credit died today Jan 4,2019.
It died with 235 miles of range ... the electronics failed.. The screen is black and the wheels locked solid. The tow truck had to use plastic skids in order to move the car. No electronics no tow mode. It was nose in so it had to be winched onto the flat bed trunk first. I'm hoping I don't have a lemon and it is just something simple. I may get some news tomorrow from the service center. In different circumstances this loss of power could have caused an accident.

NKYTA | 4 janvier 2019

@doug, it “died” how?
Did you try your reboots?

bruno.gubler | 5 janvier 2019

Now it works without Software-Update. Seams that Tesla fixed it under the Hood.

mspector | 6 février 2019

I'm the original poster, following up in case anyone searches and finds this thread. My Tesla has still this problem (although the windows are solid white now, rather than black.)

I brought my Tesla in for servicing, but the Tesla Service Center was unable to fix the problem. They said it was a firmware issue and would be fixed in a software update some time.

But I've had this problem for maybe 6 months already, and there have been many software updates; none have fixed the issue yet. (I'm on 2018.48.12.1 now.)

In the meantime, I still don't have access to the manual in the car, or to the various software update release notes, or to the web browser.

mspector | 6 février 2019

My Tesla *still has* this problem, LOL. Sorry for the typo above -- there should be a way to edit comments in this forum, or at least to delete a comment and try again!

dougk71 | 8 février 2019

Tesla repaired the S100D. The 12v battery failed and it in turn caused the 12v battery maintenance board to fail.
New battery and new charging board and all is well.
Tesla has a way of snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. They beat the Dec 31 tax deadline with a delivery on the Dec 29. Tesla got my permanent registration done Feb 7 before my second temp plates expired. They got my first temp plate renewal to me just in time.
Just when it looks like things will fail Tesla comes through at the last minute.

bleb | 9 février 2019

I have had this issue for 6 months too! I never use the manual so it’s jusr a minor inconveniences

bleb | 9 février 2019

I have had this issue for 6 months too! I never use the manual so it’s jusr a minor inconveniences

delsjunk | 11 décembre 2019

I have exactly the same problem with my 2016 S75. No web, no owners manual, no release notes. The web has gotten worse and worse and is totally useless now; but it used to work over a year ago.

The car does fart now so I guess I shouldn't complain. :)

I really think Tesla is limiting the bandwidth through their proxy server, especially for older cars. My friends with new model 3s don't have these problems.

I have exactly the same problem with my 2016 S75. No web, no owners manual, no release notes. The web has gotten worse and worse and is totally useless now; but it used to work over a year ago.

The car does fart now so I guess I shouldn't complain. :)

I really think Tesla is limiting the bandwidth through their proxy server, especially for older cars. My friends with new model 3s don't have these problems.

Oh BTW service has tried to fix my web browser a least a half dozen times and they don't have a clue! I have the problem on my super fast WiFi and with all bars with the cell tower in sight. The maps and radio streaming are fine.

TonyB.C120 | 13 décembre 2019

My manual stopped working after a system upgrade so I rebooted (never had to crtl-alt-del a car before this one) and it came back.