Forums

Model 3 roof rack?

Model 3 roof rack?

Has anyone gotten delivery of a roof rack for the M3 from Tesla? They are currently sold out. Would love to see photos of the attachment points!

Thanks,
Alex

surfpearl | 14 décembre 2018
lbowroom | 14 décembre 2018

From what it looks like, it must grab the glass

@lbowroom - As noted earlier, those images looked photoshopped, so we'll have to wait for real photos. I hope it's neither grabbing the glass nor transferring loads to the glass portion of the roof.

lbowroom | 14 décembre 2018

I'm basing my assessment on the inspection of my own vehicle. There are arrows indicating mounting locations on the roof glass. That's the only way I see it could work. Take a look yourself. What's your objection to that?

@lbowroom - I'm very familiar with those arrows. My objection is that the glass is not suitable/practical for holding realistic loads and would crack. The way I interpret those arrows is that they are pointing to specific attachment locations, presently hidden from view, in the groove next to the glass. I imagine there are some threaded holes or some other way to couple the rack towers to the metal part of the roof without touching the glass. Pure speculation on my part, yes. I have not dug under the rubber to look for them. Happy to wait for the real deal.
On the other hand, if you're going to attach the rack by grabbing the glass edge, why would you need the arrows? Just to tell you that you should spread the front and rear towers as much as possible, but only on the front half of the roof? You could then position the towers at other places along the edge of the roof, front half or back half. In that case the larger distance between the towers would be a good thing.

Klinefelter.kevin | 15 décembre 2018

I looked at installation instructions. The arrows indicate the location of a bolt under the glass that a clip grabs.

surfpearl | 15 décembre 2018

@Klinefelter.kevin - Thanks for the update. Can you share a link for the instructions?

lbowroom | 15 décembre 2018

Or search model 3 roof rack instructions on Google

Magic 8 Ball | 15 décembre 2018

Wow! It looks like the TESLA people know what they are doing when designing cars and roof racks, who woulda thunk that?

Clips slide in under the glass. There's no bolt underneath it. "Over tightening will result in broken glass."

Magic 8 Ball | 15 décembre 2018

Instructions say clips slide in metal receiver under glass.

I bet they even tested it!

Alex | 15 décembre 2018

Thanks a lot lbowrrom, those instructions are very helpful. Not too crazy about the anti-abrasion tape -- how long will it stay on without the rack in place? I normally only have racks on for the few days a year when I need them.

Alex

wayne | 15 décembre 2018

I think these rails are designed to stay in place.

surfpearl | 15 décembre 2018

Thanks lbowroom et al., it looks like a solid design. Can't wait to hear real-life feedback from the first users who were able to order it before the rest of us.
The roof rack manual has a typo for the units of torque on page 6 - nm should be Nm. Will report to get it fixed.

billtphotoman | 16 décembre 2018

The instructions seem to imply a semi permanent or at least not easily removable installation. If/when I get a rack I think I will go with Yakima since their tower system is very easy to quickly install and remove. I have carried kayaks with "yak racks" on everything from a Celica to a Mercedes C-class with no issue and always take the rack off when not in use. But, for now my Oru folding kayak fits in the trunk and is allowing me to get my kayaking fix.

mrburke | 16 décembre 2018

I am hoping that someone make little "nub covers" for the attachment points. Take the risers & rails off and cover the attachment points.

I don't plan to be an early adapter of this roof rack

Madatgascar | 16 décembre 2018

Do they give you lots of tape pads so you can uninstall and reinstall over and over again?

anau7 | 7 mars 2019

I would like to understand which part of the car does the J-clip hang on to?
It looks scary if since it is the glass top, is it really strong enough to hold the weight of a filled cargo box at high speed?

anau7 | 7 mars 2019

I would like to understand which part of the car does the J-clip hang on to?
It looks scary if since it is the glass top, is it really strong enough to hold the weight of a filled cargo box at high speed?

Orthopod | 7 mars 2019

can I just mount my good ol’ SportRack and Thule universal adjustable rack that I have been using on all my cars since the beginning of history ?

sroh | 7 mars 2019

There are built-in metal tabs under the glass at the attachment points. Glass should not be impacted. It's actually a pretty elegant solution.

moabchick | 7 mars 2019

I'd wait for the Tesla rack. Like @paddlepro said, it went in and out of stock rapidly over a few weeks. I managed to order on Feb 7 when it was supposedly "in stock" - but I still haven't received it. I contacted online orders and they said it had gone back out of stock and they didn't have an estimated arrival date. So I will just wait semi-patiently. :)

(moabchick - formerly rooneyclan2

accentcreate | 26 mars 2019

As my car is due to be delivered in France very soon and Tesla racks are as scarce as hens’ teeth, I contacted Thule to see if they were going to produce a Model 3 rack for Europe.
The answer was a shock :

Thule Support (Thule)
22 Mar, 09:16 CET

hi,
We're sorry but we will not develop any solution for the Tesla 3.
Our engineers tested this car, but they were unable to find a safe and easy-to-mount solution.
Tesla have their own solution, so they might be able to help.

vswendsen | 26 mars 2019

Yakima makes a roof rack for a Model 3.

https://www.yakima.com/

paddlepro | 26 mars 2019

I was able to order and pay for the M3 roof rack over a month ago. I have been told repeatedly that it will get shipped in the next couple of weeks. I waited over two years for the car, so I can wait for the rack.

mrburke | 26 mars 2019

I saw in the "wild" for the first time on Sunday. The look very, I mean very nice. Clean !

sroh | 26 mars 2019

Wait for it if you can. It's easily the cleanest looking roof rack available. It's also very aerodynamic. I would estimate 2-3% efficiency hit. I initially thought I would only install when needed. But I might just leave it on.

jamespompi | 26 mars 2019

@sroh Kind of a bit of work to put on just to bring the bikes somewhere, If I got the Tesla rack i'd probably just leave it on. I also agree that its the best looking rack. I ended up going with the suction cup system, fingers crossed I dont break my glass

sroh | 26 mars 2019

@jjamespompi,
Agreed. But I've done it a couple of times now, and it's much easier and quicker than the first time. We use ours for skis and not bikes. I am terrified of forgetting bikes are up there and driving the car into the garage! I might split the difference and leave the racks on during the winter and remove after ski season. Just need to cut some additional paint protection vinyl pieces as they are eyesores with the racks off.

accentcreate | 26 mars 2019

@vswendsen. I’ve looked at the Yakima site and the details on the rack mounting a very vague and designed for roofs with no mounting points. The also do not appear to be very aerodynamic.
Can someone from Tesla please advise when or if Tesla will release a final version of their racks, in a reasonable quantity?
In Europe?

accentcreate | 27 mars 2019

Funny, Today the roof rack is for sale on the European sites (Holland, Switzerland but not France) but not on the N American sites.
As I live in France I can not order one from Holland or Switzerland as the shop only ships to the country where the site is live.
Frustrating.

Pierogi | 28 mars 2019

Has anyone tried transporting stand up paddle boards on their Tesla Model 3 roof racks?

kirkmaluo | 29 mars 2019

I use a Sea Sucker to transport my Stand up board. Works great and you can easily remove it for Aesthetics/Range.

Just_Ted | 29 mars 2019

+1 kirkmaluo, I use the Sea Sucker (mini-bomber) for my bikes. No problems yet, the load seems to get spread very well. The only concern I have is that I might try to put the bike on top after a race/time trial and be so shaky I drop the fork down on the glass... but that could happen with a hard mounted rack also!

jamespompi | 29 mars 2019

@kirkmaluo @Just_Ted Just got my double bike rack yesterday, its super easy and the suction is intense! More worried about the glass than losing a bike. Wonder if that tweet Elon said about using one for model X would cover you if you did crack the glass..

kirkmaluo | 29 mars 2019

1 Sea Sucker, 3 surfboards. Pretty solid operation.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/W5Ez21HfkKdqLboEA

cvalhalla | 31 mars 2019

What you do with the SeaSucker when you’re surfing?

cvalhalla | 31 mars 2019

What you do with the SeaSucker when you’re surfing?

kirkmaluo | 1 avril 2019

It goes on and off easy so I just pop it in the trunk.