Forums

Vacation Rental Charging?

Vacation Rental Charging?

we are in the process of building a couple of vacation rentals in st.george, utah and thinking of installing 240 plug in the garage for charging. currently in st. george, there is only one SC station and only a couple destination charging hotels.
the options from salt lake city and vegas for charging is VERY limited - only 3 options.

anyone have any experience in how much more i should charge for this? i am hoping it draws a higher end renter for our properties but also should increase the nightly rate as it will increase my electrical cost with people charging.

kevin_rf | 27 décembre 2018

Just a thought exercise,

I charge at home and drive an excessive amount. My bill has been averaging about 600 kwh a month, or 20kwh a day. Even if people are arriving near empty, at most you are looking at 60ish kwh a day. What does 20kwh cost you? $3.20? 60kwh $10? So most likely, you are looking at less than $10 a day per renter. (I used 16cents per kwh, your rate may vary)

So really, you don't need to increase your rate that much. Having a charging option on premise is another selling point that "should" increase your occupancy rate.

Btw. As an experiment, you can get current meters that clamp into the NEMA 14/50 line in the breaker box and use an internet app to figure out what portion of the bill is due to EV's. It just needs access to the rentals wifi.

Another thing you can do is get a NEMA 14/50 enclosure with a lock. You provide the renter with a key. That way you are not charging half of the town.

Depending on the location of the outlet, you might want to provide a heavy duty extension cord for Ev users to reduce fire risk.

Coastal Cruiser. | 27 décembre 2018

Thought experiment #2, building on kevin's excellent ideas.... It seems [and you may well already understand this) that pricing for charging will depend heavily on market conditions. In general, is the rental market in that locale a buyers market or a sellers market? The current market will help inform you if during a certain calendar period you can throw in the charging for free to gain the competitive edge, or charge a premium when availability is tight.

Given that one of your stated goals is too draw in the preferred clientele, and that you are in the planning/building stage, perhaps you could make charging "part of a complete breakfast" to set your properties apart. Perhaps do a bit of canvasing -perhaps real estate offices... or Yelp reviews- to learn as much as you can about your future customers. Is there possibly a set of amenities people coming to rent in your area either need or are simply desiring that are not currently being served up? Naturally true high-speed internet would be on that list. Are the other properties accommodating such a demand?

On the other end of the spectrum would setting up a separate networked destination charger drop [PAID] work on your properties for public use?

wiboater4 | 27 décembre 2018

Check on Tesla website for Charging Partners. Tesla might give you a wall connector .

Pierogi | 27 décembre 2018

You should consider charging more for ICE vehicles and even more for the large diesel pickups and Jeeps that pollute the air around St George. I would offer an incentive for EVs to use your properties because the electrical costs are going to be insignificant.

Bighorn | 27 décembre 2018

Use it as an incentive to rent your unit. Add a little to your going rate if it really is a noticeable hit to your overhead. Don’t add a surcharge.

cquail | 27 décembre 2018

Do not charge extra, but advertise that you have 240 charging for electric cars. Your cost will be minimal.

I would also consider an extra charging spot for those passing through town. Best free advertising you can get for future EV customers. To know cost your could put in a meter to the EV charging location.

I assume you drive an EV so while working at your units you get a tax deductible fiiup.

Bighorn | 27 décembre 2018

With the St George supercharger, I don’t see drive by Level 2 action coming from Teslas.

EVRider | 27 décembre 2018

I don’t know what charging options non-Tesla EVs can use, but unless you only care about Teslas, you might want to give that some thought.

jithesh | 27 décembre 2018

+1 wiboater4 This is old article so not sure if they still give it free but you can check with Tesla
http://vrownersguide.com/how-to-get-wealthy-tesla-owners-flocking-to-you...

Couple of ideas:

1: Keep it free for lets say 6 months and see how your expenses drive up and then you can decide

2: Keep it free for lets say X KWh a day or X Kwh for whole rental duration and just charge your electricity rates if they use more than that.. that should take care of some people who abuse your free incentive. There should be some devices out there to measure the KWh usage for that 240V port.

3: Keep it free but just say tips appreciated

Whatever you do please don't forget to add it to PlugShare.

hokiegir1 | 27 décembre 2018

I'd be careful about overpricing due to the charging perk. I will always look on plugshare to see if there is a hotel/place to stay with charging as an option, but then price is the next consideration. I'm not willing to spend $300/night just to get $10 worth of electricity when I can stay elsewhere for $150/night and hit a nearby supercharger. Our max that we've paid to "upgrade" to a place with charging was $60 for the whole trip ($250 at the place without charging, $310 with, total for 3 nights).

kevin_rf | 27 décembre 2018

I really think the OP is looking for two things.
1. How much will it actually cost him. Hence my response.
2. While he doesn't state it, how much are people willing to pay for the convenience.

If he is charging $3 more than everyone else that doesn't have destination charging, no one will notice. Will they notice $10? $20? $50? $100?

Personal opinion he just needs a good estimate and good feel for what is worth to the consumer so he can include it in his pricing structure.

Remember, the calculation going through a non-Ev owners mind, 50a, 240v outlet running full tilt 24 hours a day can run up 288 kwh a day, to the tune of 8600 kwh a month @ .16 cents a kwh is a potential $40-$50 a day, $1300 a month. The reality is most Ev's will actually use between $3 and $10 worth of electricity a day.

Since the OP is talking vacation rental, the most likely use will be, family arrives depleted for a week, $10, then just does light driving during the week long stay, less than $5 a day, and tops off before leaving, maybe another $5. Double that if they arrive in two cars.

Magic 8 Ball | 27 décembre 2018

Check with your insurer to see if there is extra liability associated with such.

ModernTriDad | 27 décembre 2018

I would be less likely to pay more for EV charging, but more likely to select the property. Part of that depends on other local charging options, or lack of options.

We just stayed a couple nights at a Chattanooga TN Airbnb. It was my first overnight trip since 11/27 delivery. I planned on using free supercharging, but found a really generous small IT business that offered a Tesla wall charger for anyone in their parking lot. It was a block from our Airbnb. I charged 2 hours the 1st day then went back for a 4+ hour charge and found another Tesla parked overnight & into late morning. As we left to head to supercharge, we saw the Tesla leaving and let her know how rude it was. She also had a note on her car from the business asking her politely not to use their generosity for daily charging.

On the one hand, EV charging would’ve really helped in that last case. On the other hand, there are an increasing number of EV charging options so charging extra may not always work in some areas. I think we’ll see it as a value added service in most cases and I expect to see it in search criteria for Airbnb.

shelbyd | 27 décembre 2018

cquail | 28 décembre 2018

Polite EV owners do not stay plugged in longer than they need to. While most long distance EV travel is done by those driving Teslas, that will change in the next five years. Many new EVs coming on the scene.

Model 3 owners now pay a small amount to charge their cars at a Supercharger. In the future Model X and S owners will do the same. There is something about the word “FREE” that attracts folks.

shelbyd | 28 décembre 2018

thanks everyone for your comments - i knew i could get some valuable feedback from the forum!

the NEMA 14/50 will be installed on the wall in the garage so the car can charge using THEIR charging cord (distance being less than 18 feet).

i am not interested in making money on people charging as they are driving thru. i would not mind adding to plug share but will need to look into that as i would only be able to offer that if the property is not rented. since the power source is in the garage it would require me to personally be at the property to give them access. the only way i could justify this is if it proves to be a good marketing tool/advertising for the property.

kevin - great suggestions on the NEMA 14/50 - i will look into as i would like to have some tracking of what is used (if nothing else as a deterrent from renters charging other vehicles)

you are 100% correct with what i was looking for. i would pay $10 more night w/o thinking twice but would be thrilled if there wasn't an additional cost.

great point on the amount of charging that will actually take place. for sure full charge once arrive but not on additional nights. i would also speculate that charging will be done whenever they plug in instead of during the night during off-peak hours. most people are not very considerate with peak electrical hours if they know they are not paying the bill.

Coastal Cruiser - almost all the vacation rentals in the area are managed by 1 of 3 management companies and all are very competitively priced. rates average $250/night (but range anywhere from $99/night to $750/night depending on date and demand).

Bighorn and cquail - my initial intent was just to install the NEMA 14/50 in the garages as a perk to draw people to our properties. the properties are brand new and higher end so I feel with charging available it would attract my ideal customer. i was exploring options to cover the additional cost to those who actually used it but perhaps i just absorb the additional cost.

hokiegir1 - i was just thinking a $10 increase if used but might not be worth the hassle in charging and may benefit more to just use it as a draw to our properties.

and yes, cquail - i wanted it installed for personal reasons as well so when travel to stGeorge i can charge during the night instead of having to go to the one SC in stGeorge.

jithesh - YES, my thoughts exactly!
2: Keep it free for lets say X KWh a day or X Kwh for whole rental duration and just charge your electricity rates if they use more than that.. that should take care of some people who abuse your free incentive. There should be some devices out there to measure the KWh usage for that 240V port.

at this point, i will most likely just include it at no additional charge as an added benefit of staying at the property. however, i would love to have in the rental agreement a clause limiting one vehicle being charged per night or up to "X" amount KWh (and additional vehicles will be charged a fee of $15 per charge). my reasoning for this would just be so it is not abused. any suggestions on what i could do to appear as if it is being monitored even if it really isn't?

Coastal Cruiser. | 28 décembre 2018

shelbyd, if you cared to go to the trouble you can easily wire in one of these types of energy meters and mount it near the outlet. This is just one example of a low-cost solution. You can reset the KwH display to zero before each guest occupies the unit. That way you both have access to the same info with regards to a penalty charge for going over (a prudent policy in my view).

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-key...

rawjer | 28 décembre 2018

I'm actually building 3 new luxury bungalows behind a historic rental house I recently bought here in the Texas Hill Country and I asked this forum for advice a few months ago. I have 4 parking spots for the 4 units and I'm installing two NEMA 14-50 outlets between spots 2 and 3, so all four spots will be close enough as long as they back in.

The market here sounds similar in that almost no hotels offer EV charging, and I'm within a 4-hour drive of all of Texas's four huge cities, so I think this will be a popular feature. As others have said, the actual cost of the electricity should be tiny compared to the nightly rate, so I think it works far better as a free feature. By the way, it's only costing me $600 to have two 14-50s installed. I'm going to put a combination lock on the enclosure and only give the code to guests who ask for it.

I have a website for the units and I'm going to make a big deal about "with EV charging" so I come up high in search results. I'll do the same on my Airbnb listing, and my hunch is that the EV charging alone will bring in quite a few extra guests, which should allow me to charge at least a bit more in the long run.

David | 28 décembre 2018

rawjer - we've been looking for a place to drive to in the Hill Country from Austin - please share the URL, would love to check it out.

SactoEVer | 28 décembre 2018

I own a vacation rental in Tahoe Donner and installed a 240 plug. I do not charge extra for using the plug. It is my hope that the available charging will be a draw for additional renters. And .. aren't EV owners better renters to have at your place?

gballant4570 | 28 décembre 2018

Nightly charging cost per charger is not at all likely to exceed $10. The US average is 0.12/kwh (my rate as well) so my Model 3 nightly charging never reaches $10. The current large battery being 100 kw would most likely never reach that level either, unless the SOC was extremely low when charging was initiated, and then charged to 100%.

In a couple of years when the Rivians and Tesla Pickups with ~180 kw batteries hit the road, you could possibly start to see nightly charging in excess of $10 on the odd occasion.

gballant4570 | 28 décembre 2018

I should also add - now that I am a Tesla owner, destination charging availability at rentals is a significant factor (THE factor more likely) when I am planning a trip. Perhaps when it becomes more commonplace it will be less of a consideration, but then at that point the OP wouldn't be asking the question.

rawjer | 28 décembre 2018

David,

The place is in downtown Fredericksburg and will be called 'Beethoven Villas' when the new bungalows are ready in March or so. You'll be able to find it easily by Googling the name. The website is online but won't be complete until the bungalows are close to ready so I have all the photos and such.

And I agree with gballant4570 and others in that overnight EV charging (hopefully included) should be a huge feature for EV guests and as long as I can get the word out I really expect to have many Tesla owners staying with me. In my case, I have Houston and Dallas areas each around 240 miles from me and Austin about 100 miles. So if guests have overnight charging it means Tesla owners never need to stop, even after the local (coming soon) Supercharger opens.

Coastal Cruiser - thanks for the link. my vacation rentals are 3 hours away from my primary residence so mainly looking for a deterrent rather than something that had to be locked. i thought about a wifi lock but not sure exactly.

i agree with previous comments - for me it would be a HUGE perk and down the road prob more of a necessity.

David | 28 décembre 2018

Rawjer - awesome, we’ll look forward to seeing it come online!

cquail | 29 décembre 2018

Glad to see many vacation rental owners doing EV charging. If you do put a meter on your EV charging line, please come back to the forum and share the costs. I am sure other folks considering doing this will be interested.

Patrick | 29 décembre 2018

Adding 100% support for adding a Level 2 EV charging system at vacation rental properties. We have operated vacation rentals for years, and up until recently had not considered adding the Nema 1450 each. It’s such a simple thing to do that it’s a no-brainer going forward. Now that we are traveling with our new 3D it is our most desired tech amenity next to high Speed Internet.

Definitely agree with coastal regarding his suggestion for adding a simple energy measurement system with each1450. Here is an example of an inexpensive system I recently installed which can easily monitored remotely. While most EV charging users would likely demonstrate responsible behavior, the potential for abuse does exist. I like the idea of offering up to X number of kilowatt hours per night at no charge. As an example, maybe 50 to 75 kWh which provides one good charge per day.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/tesla-fuelenergy-manager

cquail - the cost was nominal as stated in the previous post.

https://ibb.co/PtrNJPW

Suggest billing rental customers at local Supercharger rates after exceeding the free daily charging capacity. This would provide a nice deal to travelers and about 50% margins to the property owner.

gballant4570 | 29 décembre 2018

I like seeing this kind of discussion. As a recent retiree and EV owners, my wife & I are planning several road trips a year that involve rentals properties around the country. Destination charging is important, as most of the actual destination locations are not that close to supercharging stations. Today there are not enough rental destinations with charging - we are re-evaluating some of our favorite destination accommodations, and I am thinking of contacting a couple of owners to suggest adding level 2 charging.

M3BlueGeorgia | 29 décembre 2018

If you don't want to spring for 240v connection, consider a 5-20 (110v - 20A) plug.

This will allow OK charging for anyone forewarned, while limiting your financial exposure. Note: With the correct adapter, this would charge at 6 - 7mph, which is good for an overnight top-up. People without the 5-20 adapter can still use the 5-15 adapter and get 4 - 5 mph.

We rent AirBnb on a regular basis and the lack of any charging option is a real pain. We'd be very happy to top-off the batteries with as little as 5-20. :-)

adamhenry552 | 10 août 2019

I'm planning to take a vacation rental in the countryside and enjoy a lot.

adamhenry552 | 12 août 2019

Hey Patrick, I see your sample report card it's really great to me and loves them.

bjrosen | 13 août 2019

A J1772 EVSE will be usable by both Tesla's and non-Tesla EVs so that's the most flexible solution, a Tesla only EVSE will will make you standout to Tesla owners who are by and large are higher income, Tesla might also do a deal for you or even provide it free, you'll have to check it out.. Having an EVSE will allow you to market the property as premium class, your pricing will have to be in line with competing premium class properties, don't charge extra for the EVSE that's just part of the amenities that you are offering. The cost to you won't be much. Assume that people will get one full charge on the day they arrive, say 60KWh, and then use maybe 10KWh a day for the remainder of their stay, so for a weekend call it 80KW and for a week 120KWh, at my very high MA electricity rate that's about $17 for the weekend and about $25 for full week, for most places in the country it will be less than that.

adamhenry552 | 23 août 2019

Visit here https://www.dubairent.com for a beautiful vacation rental. The next journey starts soon with my new Tesla.

rcoffey1963 | 23 août 2019

I had a Clipper Creek J1772 EVSE installed in my rental in Seabrook Island SC. I am not charging any additional fees but I believe it has increased my number of days rented. Just one extra week would cover the cost of the charger, installation, and electric usage. It's also nice when I go down to be able to charge as well.