Forums

Brake Hold not working. Is there a fix for this?

Brake Hold not working. Is there a fix for this?

This morning while driving, I noticed that my car wasn't holding the way it's supposed to when I stop. Even after putting Creep on & apply pressure, it still wouldn't hold. I've rebooted the screen thinking that would help, but it's still not functioning. Is there another way to fix this or should I make an appointment with the service center?

globalMan | 10 janvier 2019

Hold will work only when Creep Mode is OFF.

dsvick | 10 janvier 2019

@gllivyl, I've never tried it but I don't think that that is true. Brake hold is essentially the car is pressing the brake pedal for you, there is no reason creep mode being on or off would affect that.

@joshturnernj, I'd try a hard reboot, both scroll wheels and the brake pedal, if that doesn't correct it then reach out to a service center.

joshturnernj | 10 janvier 2019

No, it also works when Creep is on, but that's besides the point. It's just not working, with Creep off or on. It doesn't say ((HOLD)) when it comes to complete stop.

@dsvick I will try this in a few hours. Wasn't aware of the hard reboot. Thank you.

Bighorn | 10 janvier 2019

A complete stop does not engage it. You need to press the brake more intentionally to engage hold. Hard to judge if you’re doing this.

@Bighorn Yes, I am doing this. I know exactly how it works. And it's not working for me this morning.

lilbean | 10 janvier 2019

No matter what anyone says to me, hold does not work for me with creep on. I've tried it on both Teslas. I have strong legs and I just don't want to "brake" the pedal.

globalMan | 10 janvier 2019

Same here, lilbean.

Last week after installed new software, the HOLD feature stopped working. Tried 2-wheel reset multiple times to no avail.

As soon as I turned off Creep Mode, HOLD worked perfectly.

Ruebs | 10 janvier 2019

Brake Hold has worked 100% of the time for me and I have had Creep Mode on since I got the car. I have noticed that it is much easier to activate Brake Hold when stopping uphill, usually a tiny push extra on the brake or sometimes it just activates from coming to a stop normally. Maybe Brake Hold uses tilt sensors to vary the needed pressure (maybe only when Creep Mode is on or different thresholds with Creep on) and yours is out of whack? I'd say make an appointment at the SC.

Lorenzryanc | 10 janvier 2019

Seems OP can't get HOLD to work at all :( sounds software and let Tesla know so they can push an update. With Creep off (which I HIGHLY recommend) HOLD should not be much to activate. For me, it's hardly additional pressure to activate.

Hope it gets resolved quickly for you!

lbowroom | 10 janvier 2019

Just to help clarify as this has come up before. To engage hold requires a separate action after the car has completely stopped. After stopping, give the pedal a firm push. More force required with creep on than off.

CST | 10 janvier 2019

More pressure is required on a downhill slope...flat or uphill is nearly automatic.

AWC1014 | 10 janvier 2019

This happened to me as well after my update to 48.2.1 The only thing that fixed it (despite multiple scroll wheel resets, placing the car in park and then drive, turning hold on and then off, etc) was when I let the car sit once I arrived at work. As soon as I drove it the next day (24 hour shift) it worked properly again and has not happened since.

AWC1014 | 10 janvier 2019

I don’t believe you suddenly forgot how to use hold—I’m guessing you’re having the issue I had. I didn’t realize how much I enjoyed using hold in my car until it suddenly wasn’t there.

OP confirmed that he’s applying proper pressure.

Yes Bighorn, I still wonder if people understand that it's a separate action from the stop. The press occurs after the car has come to a full stop, not part of the stop. For those who are having a problem, try this. Come to a stop, keep just enough pressure on the pedal to not roll forward, count to 3, then give it a firm press.

slingshot18 | 10 janvier 2019

Call Tesla service?

@lbow
I specifically asked that and OP strongly asserted his apprehension of the workings.

OP may have a real issue, just educating the 100's of other people who read the thread and think their hold isn't working or don't' even know they have it or how it works. It's my personal crusade. ;-)

Also, I'm reading the posts carefully. The first two sentences lead me to believe he's not really understanding the designed function. It's stop, pause, press. I know that it seems almost automatic with creep off, but it's not designed that way.

His response to you was strictly, "yeah I know how it works, without describing anything to lead me to believe he actually does"

neylus | 10 janvier 2019

If it's stop, PAUSE, press, then how could it even work with creep on? Not a creep user here so I'm just asking.

JAMESLHARWOOD | 10 janvier 2019

I have version "2018.48.12.1 d6999f5" and with creep mode on my hold works just fine if after I'm stopped I press harder on the brake pedal. What software is everyone running? I see there is a .49 and .50 version out which I haven't gotten yet and wondering if that is what breaks it?

No_ICE | 10 janvier 2019

I'm running 2018.50 with creep OFF. Brake hold works fine.

@lbow
Is there a Patreon account for your crusade?:)

Wanderer | 10 janvier 2019

I keep Creep OFF. I had to brake to come to full stop going downhill on ramp and "H" wouldn't work. Checked settings and Creep was ON. I am the only one driving my car and I did not change the setting.

Neylus. PAUSE doesn't mean release. You keep enough force on the pedal to remain stopped, then press more firmly.

Mercedes has had this exact system for some time.

AWC1014 | 11 janvier 2019

@OP did this self resolve, or did it require the assistance of Tesla Service?

neylus | 11 janvier 2019

@jameslharwood - I'm also running 2018.48.12.1 d6999f5. Last night I turned creep on and tested the brake hold. I couldn't get it to engage. Pressed much harder than normal just to be sure. Turned creep off and t works fine again. So go figure.

Goose66 | 5 février 2019

I am having the same problem this morning. Been running 2018.50.6 for many weeks with Creep off (has never been on), and this morning Hold just stopped working. I know how Hold has always worked for me and on the same route I take every morning, this morning it just never engaged. Tried rebooting and shift cycling from park to drive. Nothing helps. This is definitely a software bug.

dt22cc | 9 février 2019

I just had this problem tonight and solved it by Selecting Power Off in the main screen. Once I powered back on everything was working normally. Give it a try.

rsingh05 | 9 février 2019

It is a separate action from the brake but I will argue it should be integrated ie if the car comes to a complete stop, it should hold automatically if creep is off. Especially going uphill.

With creep on, it should require additional pressure on the brake.

And I can’t think of a reason to have creep on at all.

tubesync | 19 mars 2019

This came up for me today - hold has always worked great, suddenly stopped, Power Off from main screen fixed it. Thanks dt22cc!

pizza | 22 août 2019

Let's reboot an old thread. Saw this today after 2019.28.1.3 update last night. Brake hold does not engage. I tried rebooting, shifting in and out of park, pressing the brake softly, tapping the breaks, pausing between stopping and tapping, pressing the brake as hard as I could until it hit the firewall, everything. No joy. It worked fine yesterday, not today

Magic 8 Ball | 22 août 2019

@pizza Did you try rebooting the car after the update?

pizza | 22 août 2019

@m8b: It's the first thing I did: "I tried rebooting, shifting in and out of park, pressing the brake softly, tapping the breaks, pausing between stopping and tapping, pressing the brake as hard as I could until it hit the firewall, everything."

Reading other posts online, the only thing I have not tried is to enable and disable creep mode (I have it off)

@pizza I have creep off and upgraded to 28.3.1 last night, hill hold works fine on our car P3 (stealth).

pizza | 22 août 2019

@m8b: Then it's probably something with my car. I'll make a service appt to get it checked out.

foodking | 22 août 2019

Go ahead and try enabling creep mode, confirm that's working, then disabling. I'm on 28.3.1 and hold still works for me. The latest update seems to have fixed my left turn signal.

howard | 22 août 2019

rsingh05 | February 9, 2019
It is a separate action from the brake but I will argue it should be integrated ie if the car comes to a complete stop, it should hold automatically if creep is off. Especially going uphill.

+1

calvin940 | 22 août 2019

I suspect something is up with your car rather than a software update. Hold is fine for me on 28.3.1 and has not changed from previous versions. Call Tesla.

EVRider | 22 août 2019

Reboot again.

lbowroom | 22 août 2019

"The latest update seems to have fixed my left turn signal."

That's a new one. That fix has required a hardware change in the past.

St☰v☰ | 22 août 2019

@pizza: In retrospect, maybe ditto here too. I thought nothing of it at the time, but I exited the freeway this morning and came to a complete stop, the road is on a very slight incline (very slight), took my foot off the brake after stopping and the car started rolling backward so I reapplied the brake and kept my foot there until I could go. I was upgraded to 28.3 yesterday evening. I'll try it again later and see it it replicates itself.

lbowroom | 22 août 2019

I chime in on this from time to time when I read people incorrectly describe the action used to apply brake hold.

"took my foot off the brake after stopping and the car started rolling backward so I reapplied the brake and kept my foot there until I could go"

Brake hold is a separate action of pressing the brake harder after coming to a complete stop. It's true that without creep on, it's a light action and may seem to come on automatically every time you stop, but that's not how it works. It requires a second, harder push after coming to a complete stop to engage. More pressure if you have creep on or on an incline.

St☰v☰ | 22 août 2019

@lbowroom, I don't use "you" mode and I know how my car normally responds and I know how to engage the hold function, whether they are separate functions or not is irrelevant. I merely pointed out that to keep me from rolling backwards and hitting the car behind me, I hit my brakes.

Syed.Hosain | 22 août 2019

When the brake hold is active, the "(H)" symbol on the screen comes on - that is how I know it is applied, right?

I was upgraded to 28.3.1 last night, so I will check to see if it is working for me still. Have not done a reboot or hard reboot yet, so it may be indicative.

Yes, you will see an (H) when hold is active, assuming everything is working properly.

Syed.Hosain | 22 août 2019

@Magic 8 Ball "assuming everything is working properly."

Yeah, good point ...

I will verify that it is still the "same as before 28.3.1" later today.

lbowroom | 22 août 2019

Separate actions, not functions. It absolutely matters...

Pages