Forums

White battery acid like crystals from dried rain water on floor of garage

White battery acid like crystals from dried rain water on floor of garage

After several rainfalls this year I've noticed what look like the sort of crystals you see on decaying batteries appear after rainwater that's dripped from the car dries. A friend who has a Model S mentioned that he's seen the same thing. I've searched these forums via a Google site search and I didn't really find anything that sounded like this. Curious if others have since something like this:

https://goo.gl/aDcFke

Good/bad? Anyone else see this? I don't see anything on the underside of the car that looks like damage or leaking or anything that would appear to be a problem.

-Steve

ron | 21 janvier 2019

Efflorescence has nothing to do with your Tesla. Soluble salts leaching through concrete.

slingshot18 | 21 janvier 2019

Has everything to do with the Tesla. I have the same thing. My wife has parked her car in the garage for 2 years in the same exact spot. No crystals. I parked my Tesla in the garage this weekend and I now have the same crystals.

Njbrw549 | 21 janvier 2019

Acid rain?

bruryan | 21 janvier 2019

There isn't much chance what you see has anything to do with the car. Has it rained a lot lately, gutter downspouts leaking, a new house uphill from you, there are lots of reasons you might see something now you haven't seen before.
What you describe comes from moisture under the slab. It can build all kinds of different looking growths Hair like or moss-like

Magic 8 Ball | 21 janvier 2019

If it were deposit or reaction caused by the TESLA I would expect everyone would see this under their cars they park on, at least, concrete. I have never seen efflorescence that looks foamed up like that but I guess it is possible. Almost looks like maybe a waxy coating or soap that maybe washing off and building in the same spots over time.

AmpHog | 21 janvier 2019

I think Magic dropped his 8Ball.

ajbutler45 | 21 janvier 2019

Could it be from the vent from the 12 V battery?

Lasa168 | 21 janvier 2019

I notice the exact same thing when I got home today. I live in Southern California. It has been raining a lot. Let me go take a picture.

Yes, it's been raining here. But crystals under my Model 3. No crystals under my wife's Infiniti.

gballant4570 | 21 janvier 2019

ron is correct. Its not the car, its the concrete. I've been seeing it for years - actually less now that I have the Tesla, as the concrete is nearing 25 years old....

So rains for a week. Infiniti parks in garage 90% of the time, no cystals. Model 3 parks there once, crystals. Same exact spot. That would be an incredible coincidence.

RES IPSA | 21 janvier 2019

Another thing my "Woody Allen" like neurosis needs to worry about now... my car causing acid crystals on my concrete garage floor?

When will it end Tesla???

kevin_rf | 22 janvier 2019

Have you tasted them? Do they taste like salt or battery acid?

sner66 | 22 janvier 2019

I have an epoxy coating on my garage floor and still have noted the crystals on Model S but not as much on the X.

dkispe00 | 17 février 2019

This is also on the floor of my garage and there are now very fine cracks in the concrete of the garage. They were not there before. We have had an enormous amount of rain since December 31 when my Tesla model 3 arrived.

hamiltonned | 17 février 2019

I have 3 cars in my garage. Two ICE cars and a Model 3. ICE cars have been there for a year. The 3 has been there two months.

Only the 3 has the white substance under the front part of the car. It's not efflorescence.

bj | 17 février 2019

EaglesPDX would have been all over this one...

bj | 17 février 2019

I’ve never seen efflorescence like that - it looks like solid material has been deposited from above not leeched from below. Efflorescence I’ve seen on concrete floors looks like the wavy smudges left behind after dropping water on an ink blot and letting it dry.

I would be concerned enough to take a trip to the service centre to have the motor bay checked out. If it has come from above, there’ll be plenty of evidence of it somewhere within there, and they’ll be able to identify the source and hence diagnose the issue.

Equally, if there’s no evidence of any streaks or deposits of any kind whatsoever within the motor bay, then you have some very weird thing happening on your garage floor.

ODWms | 17 février 2019

I’ve not seen anything like this in the 4 1/2 months since I’ve owned the car.

billlake2000 | 17 février 2019

I like bj's advice. Is it possible at your location to actually get a service appointment? Mobile would be cool. They could look at your junk.

Joho.keith | 17 février 2019

I’ve seen this before during very wet periods in CA and not just under the car. It’s moisture coming from below.

hassan | 17 février 2019

I noticed the same water spots with white crystal edges a couple of weeks ago. I’m in Austin, TX. We had rain and warm humid weather at the time. There was quite a puddle and I assumed it was from the AC. Hasn’t happened again so I haven’t worried about it.

surfpearl | 17 février 2019

I've seen efflorescence in mild form on my garage floor where car was parked after recent rains in SoCal. I'd seen and removed much worse forms of it from my basement walls years ago.
Read more on the topic of efflorescence here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efflorescence
The way Model 3 channels rainwater from the roof, windshield, undercarriage, etc. and dumps it on the garage floor in puddles could be different from your other cars. Maybe it's unique in the way it collects/dumps. The more rainwater dumped, the more efflorescence visible.
As a test, you may want to simulate this phenomenon by daily pouring a small quantity of water under your other car or any other spot on your concrete floor for a week or two and report what happens.

If you don't want the efflorescence to form, use shallow plastic trays under the car to collect rainwater which will then evaporate over time. Front left and right corners under the bumper are typical places where I've seen the puddles form.

Lonestar10_1999 | 17 février 2019

The EPA should be interested in whether there is truly a discharge. If so, the discharge could be harmful to the environment.

Xerogas | 17 février 2019

@steve: for all the people saying it must be the Tesla, and not efflorescence, I can say the opposite: the foam only appears under my ICE car, and never under my Tesla.

It’s efflorescence, folks. Teslas don’t leak anything that looks like this. Occam’s Razor to the rescue.

ericmingman | 17 février 2019

Might this be that the Tesla is a heavier car which squeezes more water from under the garage floor.

dgstan | 17 février 2019

I used to get that exact thing all the time in my old house in Trabuco Canyon. Concrete experts told me it was normal due to the fact the developer (William Lyon - that cheap SOB) wanted to save a few bucks and skimped on the moisture barrier in the garage.

Why it's happening under Teslas and not under other cars in the garage might have to do with the Tesla staying warmer when charging. I'm guessing.

TickTock | 17 février 2019

Perhaps the Teslae carry more water into the garage?

dgstan | 17 février 2019

Question: Are the people seeing these crystals typically charging when parked in that spot?

lbowroom | 17 février 2019

Have you checked it with a Geiger counter?

Mr.Tesla | 17 février 2019

They've secretly replaced your regular battery with Folger's Crystals?

JCTSLAM3 | 17 février 2019

I’ve seen this in my garage too, right under the rear axel. A week ago I swept them off and they’re back. This has never happened before....

TickTock | 18 février 2019

Mr. Tesla: LOL! :-)

David N | 18 février 2019

Over the years (with ICE’s) I’ve had it in my garage, long before EV’s were the craze. It’s has to do with the concrete/age/weather.
Relax, It’s not the car.

TickTock | 18 février 2019

Another, perhaps more likely, explanation as to why it seems more prevalent under the Tesla is the heat from the ICE when you bring it in dries the floor whereas the the Tesla floor probably stays wet longer.

bob | 18 février 2019

I have mega crystals meth on my garage flow from my LR Model 3. Previously my ICE car was parked in the garage without any crystal meth piles. Now that my model 3 has been parked in the garage where I charged, the piles are HUGE... Like REAL HUGE... So will this ruin my garage flow? I am now concerned!!!

RedPillSucks | 18 février 2019

Sigh... I can see the media headlines...

Tesla Model 3 makes crystal meth in your garage.

VolleyballNE1 | 18 février 2019

I have a black vinyl garage flooring over the concrete and I noticed clear water under the M3. This turned white after it dries. Don't know what it is. This was when the floor was clean. Now it's got snow and dirt, so I don't notice anymore. Will check again in spring after I clean the floors again.

Mike UpNorth | 18 février 2019

Breaking Bad *Tesla addition* :)

bob | 18 février 2019

Here is the picture of my garage floor...
https://imgur.com/a/FNtwdnG

guydude | 18 février 2019

Has anyone asked Tesla about this?

Lonestar10_1999 | 18 février 2019

@bob- any chance that salt is toxic?

Tronguy | 18 février 2019

Um. While I'm not one of those people, there are people where I work who can take a random sample of something and dope out what it's made of. For that matter, in college freshman chemistry (2nd semester), we were trained up on doing just that for arbitrary samples of inorganic material, which sure is what that stuff looks like. It's a slow, methodical process, but in a standard chemistry lab with reagents one can identify practically anything one might come across, period.
Suggestion: Locate the dean in charge of chemistry at either the local community college or university, contact them with the picture, and ask, "Could you figure this out for me?". Like I said, it's not a major issue for these types to work out what things are and people's natural curiosity might come to the foreground. If you're far from a higher learning center, a chemistry teacher at a local high school might take you on.

Tronguy | 18 février 2019

Oh, yeah. Assume it's toxic, but not badly so, until proven otherwise. Use rubber gloves and a sealed freezer bag for samples. No touching then tasting; probably not fatal, but you don't want to figure that out the hard way now, do you?

Lonestar10_1999 | 18 février 2019

And don’t let little kids play there and keep pets away.

rxlawdude | 18 février 2019

@dgstan, your experience with William Lyon construction shortcuts is well-known. The crappiest builder in OC.

rxlawdude | 18 février 2019

Er, should be that Lyon construction shortcuts and subsequent problems is well-known.

I always thought that developer should have been called "Lyin' Homes."

Bighorn | 18 février 2019

Try putting down a different substrate to catch it to see if it's a pure precipitate or something interacting with the concrete.

JDubs | 18 février 2019

Might be part of the explanation?
From the owner's manual:

It is normal for a small pool of water to
form under Model 3 when parked. Extra
water produced by the dehumidifying
process is drained underneath.

billlake2000 | 18 février 2019

Let Mikey eat it. He eats anything.

Pages