Forums

Model 3 break-in (San Jose Costco), and rear view camera stops working

Model 3 break-in (San Jose Costco), and rear view camera stops working

Had my car broken into in the Costco parking lot in Almaden (ouch). Classic - rear window, seat pulled back to check if there was anything in trunk (I have nothing).

For others with similar experience in San Jose: where did you get it fixed, how long was the wait, and what did it cost you ?

Also my rear view camera is no longer working. Not sure if that is related (I cannot see how, but another thing bugging me on a rainy Saturday with a hole in the window...).

Teslanene | 2 février 2019

That sucks man, but what does your insurance say?

sunil100 | 2 février 2019

Insurance says 500 deductible even on glass. And they have to inspect the damage (Tuesday appointment). But I am not sure cost will be 500, so insurance may be useless here.

In broad daylight (4pm) in a busy parking lot with many people walking back and forth. Brazen - I was barely in Costco for 45 minutes...

Reboot did nothing, but SW update recovered the rear-view camera. Progress !

Enhancement request: fix glass with SW update please.

charles.a.braun | 2 février 2019

Not really "brazen". They know that there is a .00016% chance of being caught and if they are one of the unfortunate ones that is caught, they will be cited and released and never bother showing up for court.

The odds are WAY in their favor.

Kevin.Tesla | 2 février 2019

Almaden Costco? I parked there several times, I thought it's pretty safe there since there're always many Tesla's in the parking lot.

dgstan | 2 février 2019

Sorry this happened to you and thanks for warning us.

I can't stand that location. It's nearly impossible to find a spot to park and when you do, it's so small that you feel horrible about leaving your car to be dinged. Now, if they're gonna break into it too, then the 5-mile drive to Great Oaks is more than worth it.

The_Flash | 2 février 2019

Bummer. Sorry to hear that. I had this happen to just a few days ago. They broke the quarter glass on right side.

Call Glass West. Tesla recommenced them and they replaced it same day for me.
Cost was $458 including parts & labor.

Don’t bother with insurance with $500 deductible.

Thanks for the tip on Glass West. Will call them Monday.

It was the little “satellite parking” area (off the main lot and opposite the Bed Bath & Beyond. I myself have parked there several times before. This time i got hit. Have to take my old Pilot for all future Costco trips.

ODWms | 3 février 2019

It’d be great if Tesla could come up with a system that, when someone approaches, would start flashing lights and an announcement that states, “you are being recorded.”

wiboater4 | 3 février 2019

Sentry mode is in the works.

TranzNDance | 3 février 2019

Sorry this happened to your car. I thought thieves chose locations with quick and easy getaways and that shopping center would not seem to be one of those targets.

apodbdrs | 3 février 2019

Long shot, but you may want to go on "nextdoor.com", if COSTCO is local, maybe someone saw the culprit breaking into your car, or better yet had a video of the event. Secondly, ask COSTCO if they surveillance video, just provide the date, approximate time and location of your car. Smashing a car window to steal is a felony in California.

lilbean | 3 février 2019

+1 @charles

sunil100 | 3 février 2019

Already checked with Costco yesterday. They have no cameras in that lot. And I noticed several signs in the lot “watch out for car break ins. Shopping center not responsible”. Must be a common occurrence unfortunately. I never noticed the signs before.

Anybody know a place open Sunday which can fix glass ?

dmanincali | 3 février 2019

@sunil100 - many, many parking lots around here have those signs. Not sure if those signs are new at that Costco but they're not uncommon.

globalMan | 3 février 2019

How about repealing Proposition 47?

Better still, vote all those legislators who supported Proposition 47 out of their office ASAP?

lilbean | 3 février 2019

+100 @gllivyl

Local TV says crime in LA is down, so I checked out crime in CA and was surprised to find that it has actually has come down! Big surprise to me!

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2018/12/crime-is-up-in-california...

sunil100 | 3 février 2019

I understand that overall crime is down. This is good. But there are certain "easy targets", and crime for the "easy targets" is up. Unfortunately the Tesla rear window is one of those "easy targets", because everybody knows about the vulnerability. Overall I agree we are better off than 20 years ago...

lilbean | 3 février 2019

Crime is only down because what was once considered a crime is no longer a crime.

bryan.whitton | 3 février 2019

lilbean "Crime is only down because what was once considered a crime is no longer a crime."
Not really. Murder is still murder. rape is still rape and assault is still assault. We have created an environment where everything can be distributed over and over again and to virtually everywhere. This gives the impression that a lot of crime is being committed not that wasn't before. Fortunately that isn't true. I will agree that a lot of crimes are not reported skewing the statistics and the powers that be are reducing the consequences of certain property crimes as. But crime is still a crime.

lilbean | 3 février 2019

I was referring to theft, not rape and murder.

I don't think the stats refect convictions only, but crimes reported!

rxlawdude | 3 février 2019

@lil, theft is still a crime. But misdemeanors are by definition not as serious as the previous classification of felony.

lilbean | 3 février 2019

Yep.

Hal Fisher | 4 février 2019

Does that glass have plastic in the middle like a windshield? If they can’t get the broken piece out so easy that may stop them.

Coastal Cruiser. | 4 février 2019

"Local TV says crime in LA is down, so I checked out crime in CA and was surprised to find that it has actually has come down! Big surprise to me!."

A lot of criminals have made enough to retire to Oregon, Washington, and Idaho.

------
"Must be a common occurrence unfortunately. I never noticed the signs before."

That means a few like minded folks could set up a sting operation to catch the culprits in action. Wouldn't that be fun!?

It's like John Tavolta said in Pulp Fiction relaying the story of his car being keyed: "Boy, I wish I could've caught him doing it. I'd have given anything to catch that asshole doing it. It'd been worth him doing it just so I could've caught him doing it."

------
"Crime is only down because what was once considered a crime is no longer a crime."

That's actually deep bean-girl.

"All the cri-mi-nals in their suits and their ties
are free to drink martinis and watch the sun rise"
-Dylan

Coastal Cruiser. | 4 février 2019

"Does that glass have plastic in the middle like a windshield? If they can’t get the broken piece out so easy that may stop them."

Transparent aluminum is just around the corner. Just hold on a century or two.

carlk | 4 février 2019

My conspiration theory says those people are on contract with glass repair shops. But seriously just spend the money and get it fixed. Much more serious stuffs happen when you get out of the house.

Teslanene | 5 février 2019

@carlk I thought of the same thing the other day. Maybe they get a cut from the repair shop for every business they send.

Hal Fisher | 5 février 2019

The idea that they get a ‘cut’ from every broken window is completely crazy considering how many shops there are, and am betting they have come up empty in how much they have netted so far. Is it a single company that makes that small piece of glass?

Transparent aluminum is already made. Aluminum oxide but not sure how hard it is.

CST | 5 février 2019

@lilbean +1

cmh95628 | 5 février 2019

@CC
re: "Transparent aluminum is just around the corner. Just hold on a century or two."
Bones: You know, if we give him the formula, we are changing history...
Scotty: How do we know he didn't invent the thing?!?!?
;-)
Good times.

kallian | 5 février 2019

I shop at that costco all the time as well, now im worried to take the 3 there.
Thats it, im ordering the backseat LOCKSET with a label on the window. Its totally worth it.

I really wish I could embed a taser in the gap of the lock button, and when they touch it, bam insta gratification.
Shouldnt be that hard to do.

reposado2 | 5 février 2019

Keep voting for people who are more concerned about welfare of druggies/homeless/social justice/gender justice etc instead of quality of life of its taxpayers.... You end up with the mess the Bay Area is in.

Joshan | 5 février 2019

"I really wish I could embed a taser in the gap of the lock button, and when they touch it, bam insta gratification."

Hope you are kidding or enjoy getting sued. I remember reading a story about a guy who kept having his broken into. He rigged a shotgun to the window and put up a sign stating you would be shot if you open the window. The burglar still opened the window and was shot. He sued the home owner who had to pay all medical bills and rehab costs and was also arrested.

Hal Fisher | 5 février 2019

Um, taser is not considered that deadly. I was thinking elon, coming from south africa, was considering how great it would be to have flamethrowers rigged up for security, and might have been the reason he came up with those.

inklminkle | 5 février 2019

I also recommend Glass West in San Jose. 408-890-0852. Prices are very reasonable. Courteous. Fast.

Also, you may want to consider buying the "Tesla Model 3 Trunk Shield"
This is a professionally made solid piece of metal you (easy 5min) install just behind the rear seats. It prevents anyone from getting into the trunk from inside the seating area of the car. What I like about it is they have a white version which is clearly visible from outside the car. You can leave the seat(s) down to prevent the glass breakage in the first place. They also provide window stickers. Priced very reasonably at $200.

Remember, if you get hit, and especially is things get stolen, it is *so much more* than just the cost of replacement, it takes a lot of *time* to:

1 call around for glass repair shops
2 call insurance company to file car claim (window[s])
3 call insurance company to file homeowners/renters claim (stuff stolen from inside/trunk)
4 talk to police department
5 file police report (get serial numbers etc)
6 locate, select, and replace stolen items
7 get reimbursed for stolen items, pay deductable
8 reinstall programs on stolen pc/tablets
9 restore any lost data on from stolen items
10 rent a car/Uber until car is fixed
11 set up to get car window repaired
12 deal with paint scratches/dents etc.
etc

lbowroom | 5 février 2019

Aluminum oxide is not transparent

kallian | 5 février 2019

Taser is not deadly at all, thats why cops use it on you without remorse. If you jumped an electric fence and got shocked you can sue the city? Im sure the judge will feel compelled enough to laugh.

kcheng | 5 février 2019

"Hal Fisher | February 5, 2019
... Aluminum oxide but not sure how hard it is."
I think it's an 8 on a scale of 10 with diamond a a 10. They use Aluminum oxide grinding wheels in multi-axis CNC machines to shape camshafts, brake calipers, etc. Never seen a transparent one.