Forums

Any experience with cheaper $10 wheel trim?

Any experience with cheaper $10 wheel trim?

Third-parties selling these for M3 are $50-$100. I got some for $9 from china just to see how these are. I got these but I am now worried they will peel off the wheel and damage the car while driving. Anyone has any experience if these stay glued to the wheel after some use? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2018-26FT-Red-Car-Wheel-Hub-Rim-Trim-Tir...

Before anyone asks these are just for looks and nothing else. Similar to how you wear different clothes for looks.

ODWms | 16 février 2019

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. I purchased mine from RimBlades, for $50, which thought was a great deal at the time. They’ve worked excellently so far (3 months), with zero issues. But I’ve seen some different ones by different companies for far less cost since. For that cheap price I would wonder about quality. But if just for decoration, it’s probably fine. 99% of this is in the preparation of the wheel before any of the products even touch them.

I’d say as long as it’s the actual 3M adhesive, and they provide the same final cleaning and adhesive actuating solutions then it should be fine for the purposes you intend. Just make sure you completely clean the surface. Wheels must be free of any and all contaminants before you apply these products. Then it’s recommended you don’t drive for 48 hrs to let it completely bond. I’ve heard of folks saying they come off, but I believe that’s user error, and shoddy prep work. 3M adhesive is about as good a bonding agent as you’ll find in this context.

daveklaus | 16 février 2019

Yea, i went for this (only was $5 with shipping). Fell off first day- no damage. Pealed off crappy adhesive, used contact cement and ok. The $50+ price is really ridiculous for what it cost them.

ODWms | 16 février 2019

Shoot, I remember it being over $150 at first, depending on the manufacturer. At the time I saw the $50 I jumped all over it, I thought it was such a good deal.

I will say the product is very nice, and the adhesive is definitely 3M. When I first got it, also, it was thicker and brighter than I thought it would be. I almost took it off after doing one side. But I’m glad I stayed with it, because I really ended up liking it, and get A LOT of compliments on my color scheme (how the red brakes pop with the RimBlades), virtually every day.

People tend to think it’s a Tesla or EV thing, and even after I tell them I put them on, you can tell they still think I got them from Tesla. It’s funny.

ODWms | 16 février 2019

Also, Dave, make sure if you do ever decide to do it again, that the prep work is perfect. No way it’s falling off if it’s prepped correctly, and the adhesive is a quality one. Can’t stress that part enough. Follow all the instructions and you won’t go wrong.

terminator9 | 29 mars 2019

The one in the original post didn't come with cleaning or bonding agents, although, the adhesive seems 3M (at least the sticker on it). I can use rubbing alcohol for cleaning but does anyone know what is the bonding agent in those little pouches so I can get those separately?

ODWms | 29 mars 2019

I don’t, but I can check and see if I have one of the pouches at home when I return home after this trip I’m on after the weekend. Maybe I can get the info off of it. Please post here if you find the info out before then.