Forums

Distance and speed versus time

Distance and speed versus time

As you drive faster you will do more distance in an hour but your battery will be empty earlier. Going slower will take more time driving, but you be charging maybe one or two times less.

In the Europe (the Netherlands) were I live a common speedlimit is 130 km/h (appr. 81 mph) on most highways.
So suppose you drive with 120 km/h (average) on the highway doing a distance of 500 km and the temperature is about 20 C. (68 F).
What will be the optimum speed to drive (if money does not play a role?) In other words what speed to drive with the model 3 (long range version) on highways doing long distances? 90 km/h, 110? 140?

Bighorn | 16 février 2019

Depends on charger speed
In the US, with superchargers, optimal speed for a Model S is about 80 MPH. It’s much higher in the Model 3 because of the charging profile.

billlake2000 | 16 février 2019

Go 55. Fewer collisions.

Halbach | 17 février 2019

What Bighorn said....Go fast, burn juice, get to supercharger with low SOC and charge very fast for 20 mins and get back on the road and punch it. That's the fastest way from point A to point B.

gmr6415 | 17 février 2019

On a long trip when hedging range for the next supercharger with a predicted arrival SOC of 4% I've dropped below 70 mph by a mph or two and gained SOC at arrival by as much as 12% over a 2+ hour drive.

Since then if I'm in a similar situation 68 mph is my target to gain range over a long distance.

rdavis | 17 février 2019

Some of that calculus would depend on distance to next SC. Optimal has a lot to do with SOC of battery at time of charge. “Optimally” you’re going to want a very low SOC when you reach the SC.

gballant4570 | 17 février 2019

Increasing speed is linear, while the drag due to increasing air resistance is not. Driving faster to get there faster and then charge to drive faster very much depends on charger availability. However, perhaps the OP was thinking mainly about travel time.....?

jjgunn | 17 février 2019

I try to go from SuperCharger to SuperCharger with no less than 20% battery remaining. Gives me a nice buffer of 50-60 miles just in case.

In a previous study, I think I once read 73 MPH is the optimal speed for distance/efficiency travel.

Magic 8 Ball | 17 février 2019

Since the OP mentioned temperature it should also be pointed out that headwind/tailwind has a significant effect on the "optimization".