Forums

Elon Musk: Tesla will have all its self-driving car features by the end of the year

Elon Musk: Tesla will have all its self-driving car features by the end of the year

CEO Elon Musk said Tesla cars should have all the features needed to pick up passengers and drive them autonomously by the end of the year.

Musk made the comment on a podcast with Cathie Wood and Tasha Keeney of ARK Invest, which has holdings in Tesla.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/19/elon-musk-tesla-will-have-all-its-self-d...

Sam_S | 19 février 2019

Oh man...here we go again. Lol

jordanrichard | 19 février 2019

Yet another demand lever pulled......

El Mirio | 19 février 2019

Not sure they need to pull any demand levers, I read Model 3 orders in China are going thru the roof.

Dramsey | 19 février 2019

See this? This is me not holding my breath.

Navigate on autopilot is surprisingly good, but took two years to be delivered from its initial promise as "Enhanced autopilot".

One the one hand, you can't even order FSD any more on new Teslas, but perhaps this is to save Tesla money by reducing the number of cars they'll have to retrofit with the new AI chips.

On the other hand, we know that Tesla was aggressively courting employees to test self-driving features with big discounts on cars.

We'll see, I suppose. In the meantime I'm quite happy with Navigate on Autopilot, except for the every-20-seconds nags at highway speeds.

carlk | 19 février 2019

Tesla does not need the lever but it will be game over for the rest if Tesla got the true FSD to market first. Few would want to invest in a car without it.

rxlawdude | 19 février 2019

Considering that AP is only "beta," three years after introduction, WTH will they call the first public release of their FSD?

SO | 19 février 2019

Should have features this year but not released to public.

JustSaying | 19 février 2019

Great News!
The SEC settlement mandated that the company must implement "mandatory procedures and controls to oversee all of Elon Musk’s communications regarding the Company made in any format.
The corporate Tesla folks must be OK with the veracity/tone of the statements.

tew ms us | 19 février 2019

"I think we will be feature complete — full self-driving — this year," Musk said. "

Putting "I think" in front of any statement should keep the SEC at bay; they'd have to show he didn't think it.

Shock | 20 février 2019

February, 2017 https://electrek.co/2017/02/01/tesla-self-driving-model-x-prototypes-aut...

"CEO Elon Musk said that he expects Tesla to have a software build using the current hardware suite capable of an autonomous coast-to-coast drive by the end of the year."

February, 2018 https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/07/elon-musk-expects-to-do-coast-to-coast...

"Musk said on an earnings call in response to a question about the autonomous drive that they’d “probably” be able to “do a coast-to-coast drive in three months, six months at the outside.”"

February, 2019 https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/19/elon-musk-tesla-will-have-all-its-self-d...

"I think we will be feature complete — full self-driving — this year,"

------------------

My question is simply: Do *any* of you believe him anymore?

Mike83 | 20 février 2019

troll is back.

https://ark-invest.com/research/podcast/elon-musk-podcast

Hear Elon not the shorts BS

reed_lewis | 20 février 2019

"Feature Complete" is a term in the software industry for the code is written, but it has not passed any Alpha or Beta testing, and certainly is not ready for customers to see it.

I write software and we use the term "feature complete" to represent that engineering has finished adding the features for the software, but they are not ready to be released yet.

I hope that my analysis is wrong, but who knows...

Dramsey | 20 février 2019

"Putting "I think" in front of any statement should keep the SEC at bay; they'd have to show he didn't think it."

But the "I think" might be outweighed by:

"I would say I am of certain of that. That is not a question mark."

rxlawdude | 20 février 2019

Tesla's General Counsel resigned after two months. Yikes.

cabbower | 20 février 2019

I'm not convinced we are close to self driving. Too many variables on the road such as speed bumps, potholes, ice chunks, downed power lines, random pieces of wood or metal and the like. Will the car really be able to see such hazards and if so how will it react? I love AP (and everything about my M3!) but I think self driving is several years away.

Madatgascar | 21 février 2019

There should be oddsmakers in Vegas taking bets on this. Easy money.

jordanrichard | 21 février 2019

rxlawdude, he resigned from working within the company. The announcement of his departure said that he would continue to represent them, but as part of his law firm.

I am surprised that you commented on just a headline versus the whole story.

rxlawdude | 21 février 2019

@jordanrichard, you need to know more about the Professional Responsibilities of attorneys, especially in the corporate world. I'm betting he won't be actively representing Tesla, but there's a whole lot of traps for firms that have represented clients as far as distancing themselves.

I don't see the news as good in any possible light.